Big problem with SSD! Files dissapearing!

victorgm

Estimable
Jan 19, 2015
Hello everyone!

I am writing to ask for advice for my main SSD, I hope that you can help me :)

The thing is that it’s the second time that it has happened to me (the first was last Friday)
Here it goes:

I work with my MSI-GS60 2PC at my office of architecture, and I use Autocad, Photoshop, etc. Well, last Friday I decided to delete temporary files with CCleaner since Photoshop warned me that “the virtual memory disks are full" = I had only 300mb on my C: SSD M.2 disk (I also have a secondary SSD M.2).

I closed Autocad, and Important: I think I left Photoshop opened, and did the cleaning (I detected 5gb of temporary files, most of Chrome), and just after finishing, the application closed and Surprise! the folder and all the files which I was working previously disappeared , as well as the own folder of the CCleaner portable, another folder with work files and other files from the desktop that I had last opened a few days ago... imagine my face. I checked for hidden files (they were already visible), recycle bin, etc. Nothing. I tried opening the files with the programs and they did not find them.

Finally, I did a deep analysis with Recuva, and located them in " C: /? " ... then I "recovered" some files to my other SSD, but when I tried to open them with the programs it said that they were not valid… so in the end, I gave up and assumed the lost files.

i79bup.jpg

The problem is that it has just happened to me again . I was retouching a photo with Photoshop (again), and when I closed the program saving the changes, the same thing: the photos of that folder, as well as other icons and some "random" files on the desktop have dissapeared.

I do not understand anything ... what do you think it can be? The laptop and hard drive are just 2 years old, so they should still have enough useful life...

I discovered that some new "volumes" appeared on my C: [/b] disk that I did not have before (I remember I only had the main and one recovery volume with 2gb approx).

32zql2t.jpg

The curious thing is that both times it happened while closing a program (in the first one I believe that Photoshop was already closed when I started CCleaner, but now I doubt it), could be a way to investigate there? software problem? Or as it is affecting other files on the disk it has to be an SSD problem?

I have checked the SSD with Crystaldisk and it seems to be in good condition:

4jrnmb.jpg

On the other hand I have done the analysis again with Recuva, and this time the deleted photos are not in "C: /?" but in the original folder inside the desktop (that if I open it is empty), and if I "recover" the photos (in “Excellent” conditions), I can’t open them because they are defective.

This time I have not lost many valuable files, but I would like to avoid it happening again because I work every day with my laptop...

What would you do? Is my main SSD defective? How can we find out the SSD problem?

I would greatly appreciate your help! Thank you very much! :)

Solution
The only real way to check is if the problem happens again. As far as the icon thing, it sounds like some sort of Windows issue. You could try a system restore and reinstall Windows.

Jwpanz

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
Alright, is CCleaner open and running in the background? Some of the settings in the program can automatically delete files.

Next, do you have any sort of malware protection? This problem could be the result of a virus.

Open up command prompt as an administrator and type the following: chkdsk /f
This will check for and fix problems with your disks.

victorgm

Estimable
Jan 19, 2015

Hello Jwpanz, many thanks for your help!

First, I just have CCleaner as a portable version, and i've just used it 3-4 times (so it's not running in the background). And the main point: it disappeared on the first time, so it can't be the reason of the second time..

Second, yes I've Panda Protection Basic and Malwarebytes Free (they are supposedly compatible between them). I've them together for 2 years and no problem at all...

I just checked the disk with chkdsk as you told me, here are the results (translated from spanish):

"Level Date and Time Source Event Id Task Category
Information 20/06/2017 0:43:22 Microsoft-Windows-Wininit 1001 None "

Checking the file system in C:
The file system type is NTFS.
The volume label is OS_Install.

A disk check is scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.

Step 1: Examine the basic structure of the file system ...
963328 records of processed files.

File check completed.
15155 records large files processed.

0 records of invalid files processed.

Step 2: Examining file name binding ...
1089926 index entries processed.

Completed index check.
0 files not indexed examined.

0 files not indexed retrieved on lost objects.

Step 3: Examining Security Descriptors ...
Freeing 1769 indexes used $ 0 index index $ SII 0x9.
Releasing 1769 file index 0x9 $ unused index entries.
Freeing 1769 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is compacting the sequence of security descriptors
Completed Security Descriptor Check.
63300 processed data files.

CHKDSK is checking the USN ...
36168040 bytes of USN processed.

USN Journal Check completed.
Correcting errors in the bitmap attribute of the master table of
(MFT) files.
Correcting errors in the volume bitmap.
Windows has made some corrections to the file system.

Correcting errors in the bitmap attribute of the master table of
(MFT) files.
Correcting errors in the volume bitmap.

Windows has made some corrections to the file system.

No further action is required.

122619579 KB of total disk space.
116725460 KB and 363622 files.
210108 KB in 63303 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
1075347 KB in use by system.
The log file has occupied 65536 kilobytes.
4608664 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
30654894 allocation units on disk in total.
1152166 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Information:
00 b3 0e 00 92 82 06 00 46 ea 0b 00 00 00 00 00 ........ F .......
6c 03 00 00 a0 5f 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 l ......

Windows has finished checking the disk.
Please wait while the system restarts."

It said that it corrected some system files...but no idea how important it is...do you know what does it mean?

The key would be to discover if it's a defective SSD or a SO/software problem...so I can choose the right solution before wasting so much time/work capacity while replacing the SSD and/or reinstall windows from 0.

Any ideas? :)

Many thanks again!

Jwpanz

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
That may solve your issue of photos disappearing as the bitmap attribute is responsible for saving photos (as bitmaps). Try saving a photo from Photoshop and see if it holds onto it. If not, then you may have a bad drive.

victorgm

Estimable
Jan 19, 2015

Many thanks Jwpanz for your answer!

I really hope that it is already solved...I have edited some pictures with Photoshop of my desktop and it went fine...but i don't understand why some random icons (like My PC or Itunes) also disappeared...as they are no bitmap :)

Another thing that is happening since some months, is that sometimes if I want to move an icon in the desktop to a determinate space, is like there's something hidding/blocking it, because it is placed next to it and moves other icons instead (and I have no hidden files). It still happens with some spots of the desktop...can it be related?

And any idea of checking if the problem is already solved?

I'm scared that it repeats in a worst scenario.

Many thanks! :)

Jwpanz

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
The only real way to check is if the problem happens again. As far as the icon thing, it sounds like some sort of Windows issue. You could try a system restore and reinstall Windows.

Solution

victorgm

Estimable
Jan 19, 2015

Many thanks again Jwpanz! I'll reinstall Windows and let's see if it happens again.

Thank you very much for all your help!

Aug 13, 2018
Hi victorgm. I was having the same problem and read elsewhere that this might have been caused by indexing the disk files. I lost files about 3 to 4 times already and this was causing me headaches. so I went to my computer, right click on the drive and then properties. On the General tab, I unchecked the option "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed..." and the files immediately reappeared.
Hope this helps you too.