Biggest Apple Store in the World Opens in London

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
The only problem I foresee with Microsoft stores are people throwing Apples through the Windows.

It's just too funny to resist!

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]Why would microsoft need it's own store, they only sell like two pieces of hardware and a buttload of software. Where I live, there are no msft stores and no genuine apple stores, just retailers.[/citation]

Apparently you didn't read the article. "Whole rooms dedicated to Xboxes and Kinect; the Zune HD; Windows Phone 7;"

That's 4 pieces of hardware.

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
there are loosers that love apple so much, they would do this lol, if i had the money i would open the largest PC store in the world, and ban known apple users from it lol

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]excalibur1814[/nom]Dear wotan31,I would say that you're under the age of 24 and probably destroyed your fair share of Win installs from all the pron you installed, while, running as full admin.You then moved to apple and feel superior?I could be wrong.[/citation]
Wrong. 36. And I haven't used Windows at home since 1995, when Windows 95 came out and I was finishing college. I saved my money (I was a poor college student after all) and bought an expensive new peecee with Win95 on it. It was a piece of shit. Blue screens, driver conflicts, viruses. It was horrible. That's when I decided to learn Linux. I used Linux as my main OS from 1996 to 2004. I switched to OSX in 2004, as it was more mature and refined by that point. Why didn't I switch to Apple sooner? Because quite frankly the pre-OSX days, OS9 and earlier were garbage. They were crappy operating systems. Just as bad a Windows. But with OSX, it's all BSD UNIX with a brilliant GUI. Best desktop OS on the market today. Linux has made strides since I dumped it in '04, it's much more user friendly now. But Windows is just as bad as ever.

johmm

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Hey all out there...

I ask myself why are there people that just only can give negatif comment. this article is about a store,not a product.

If you are a lover of your self build super game-rig by proud.
Some others just by stuf at the store from hp, acer, lenovo, compac, msi, dell and apple.

Loving something is not equel to hating the other.
So for the apple haters under you.... do some zen or boedha

the world would be more fun without the hate.

PS. for myself i have a amd self-build and no aple stuf
sorry for crappy englis, greets from Belgium

ukgooey

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Wrong. 36. And I haven't used Windows at home since 1995, when Windows 95 came out and I was finishing college. I saved my money (I was a poor college student after all) and bought an expensive new peecee with Win95 on it. It was a piece of shit. Blue screens, driver conflicts, viruses. It was horrible. That's when I decided to learn Linux. I used Linux as my main OS from 1996 to 2004. I switched to OSX in 2004, as it was more mature and refined by that point. Why didn't I switch to Apple sooner? Because quite frankly the pre-OSX days, OS9 and earlier were garbage. They were crappy operating systems. Just as bad a Windows. But with OSX, it's all BSD UNIX with a brilliant GUI. Best desktop OS on the market today. Linux has made strides since I dumped it in '04, it's much more user friendly now. But Windows is just as bad as ever.[/citation]
You make some good points but I have to disagree with you on Windows. First of all, I'd just like to add that I use Linux predominantly and occasionally I switch to OSX for a change.

It is very rare that I use Windows nowadays. Only when I come across Windows specific software in fact. Of which there is lots. Neither OSX or Linux has the vast range of quality software that Windows has. In addition, I think that Windows 7 is an excellent operating system. I am yet to have a problem with it - no crashes, quick performance, great hardware compatibility etcetera etcetera. I just find the UI a bit boring in comparison to OSX and Compiz.

The problem I have with Apple is the maths. £700 of hardware plus £90(?) of OS does not equal £2,000 worth of machine. You could call my problem with Apple a pricing one (amongst others). It is rapidly becoming the fashion item of middle class tossers. I'm not including you in that comment, it's just generally true. I'd also be very surprised to hear that you didn't have a version of Windows on at least one PC in your home, or as a dual boot or virtual machine.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Who cares it's a store is anyone forcing you to go into it? NO so stop the bashing it's annoying and seriously childish grow up and make a decision weather or not to like or dislike Apple things

and before you go bashing me know that i am an adult and i build my own computers i do have an Ipod and Iphone but i use the phone as a phone

G

Imagine AMD would have a separate OS(not linux or Windows) like Tiger OS for Mac. Or the Amiga still existed? Wouldn't that be better. Applications running under Phyton or something. Whilst not being a Mac user. You cannot deny the fact that it's look get copied a lot for example the Ipod 4point touches. Cellphones with a full touchscreen and chrome edges.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Wrong. 36. And I haven't used Windows at home since 1995, when Windows 95 came out and I was finishing college. I saved my money (I was a poor college student after all) and bought an expensive new peecee with Win95 on it. It was a piece of shit. Blue screens, driver conflicts, viruses. It was horrible. That's when I decided to learn Linux. I used Linux as my main OS from 1996 to 2004. I switched to OSX in 2004, as it was more mature and refined by that point. Why didn't I switch to Apple sooner? Because quite frankly the pre-OSX days, OS9 and earlier were garbage. They were crappy operating systems. Just as bad a Windows. But with OSX, it's all BSD UNIX with a brilliant GUI. Best desktop OS on the market today. Linux has made strides since I dumped it in '04, it's much more user friendly now. But Windows is just as bad as ever.[/citation]

lol, so the best microsoft OS you've used is 95? I don't know weather to laugh or cry! I just love how you admit that Apple was shit before osX but is 'awesome' now, and yet it doesn't even cross your mind that Windows might have improved over the last 15 years too! windows 7 kicks everything else's arse!

casperstouch

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Besides the wall of iPads, didn't that store seem quite empty of any products. There were a few tables here and there with a laptop on it but in general there didn't seem to be that much to purchase.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]lol, so the best microsoft OS you've used is 95? I don't know weather to laugh or cry! I just love how you admit that Apple was shit before osX but is 'awesome' now, and yet it doesn't even cross your mind that Windows might have improved over the last 15 years too! windows 7 kicks everything else's arse![/citation]
I have used other Microsoft operating systems. All of them, in fact, up to Vista. (Just not as my primary machine). And I've been dissatisfied with all of them BTW.

The issue isn't "improved". Yes, all operating systems improve over time. All of them, yes, even Windows. But OSX didn't merely improve. They completely tossed the entire OS9 code base into the trash (where it belongs) and wrote an entirely new OS that was NOT backwards compatible with the old one. They threw away backwards compatibility in favor of forward progress and advancement. OSX doesn't share a single line of code with OS9 and earlier. OS9 was a bug ridden, virus afflicted heap. Just like Windows. OSX on the other hand is pure UNIX. It is POSIX certified. It is Open Source.

Windows on the other hand, clings to this antiquated compatibility layer. It has hundreds of MB of legacy compatibility code that just needs to get tossed out. It uses antiquated and inflexible notions like "drive letters". Software installs shit all over your hard drive - in system, win32, program files, registry, all over the place. You can never truly and completely "uninstall" a piece of software. You cannot easily migrate a user account (and all their desktop settings, documents, etc.) over to another machine. The list goes on and on. Windows *could* be a great OS. But they need to toss out the legacy bullshit and change some fundamental ways that the OS works.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]ukgooey[/nom]The problem I have with Apple is the maths. £700 of hardware plus £90(?) of OS does not equal £2,000 worth of machine. You could call my problem with Apple a pricing one (amongst others). It is rapidly becoming the fashion item of middle class tossers. I'm not including you in that comment, it's just generally true. I'd also be very surprised to hear that you didn't have a version of Windows on at least one PC in your home, or as a dual boot or virtual machine.[/citation]
That's just it - there is not this price disparity that you allege. A computer is more than just a CPU, RAM, and GPU. For example, Apple uses 8-bit and 10-bit S-IPS panels in their Macbook Pro laptops and stand-alone displays. Most everyone else uses crappy 6-bit TN panels. Most people don't even know the difference between an 8-bit display and a 6-bit display, or an S-IPS panel and a TN panel, and so they ignore such large differences in their price "comparisons". Once you truly look at ALL the specifications of the machine, you'll find that a comparable PC costs the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.