Biggest Apple Store in the World Opens in London

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Wouldn't work. Microsoft wouldn't sell anything, because the checkout computers probably run Windows, they'd be blue-screening and bogged down with viruses all day![/citation]

I do know that most of the Bank's ATM machines are running Microsoft CE or XP but definitely not Mac OS.

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Wrong. 36. And I haven't used Windows at home since 1995, when Windows 95 came out and I was finishing college. I saved my money (I was a poor college student after all) and bought an expensive new peecee with Win95 on it. It was a piece of shit. Blue screens, driver conflicts, viruses. It was horrible. That's when I decided to learn Linux. I used Linux as my main OS from 1996 to 2004. I switched to OSX in 2004, as it was more mature and refined by that point. Why didn't I switch to Apple sooner? Because quite frankly the pre-OSX days, OS9 and earlier were garbage. They were crappy operating systems. Just as bad a Windows. But with OSX, it's all BSD UNIX with a brilliant GUI. Best desktop OS on the market today. Linux has made strides since I dumped it in '04, it's much more user friendly now. But Windows is just as bad as ever.[/citation]

How do you know Windows is bad as you stated that you haven't tried for years? 99.9% of the companies are using Windows workstation unless you are retired early or jobless. There're many reason why the company still exist. You should try them, sometime it may impress you. Time for you to get out the APPLE cage, awful to sit behind those bars. Give other product a chance.

Be0wulf22

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
[citation][nom]lashton[/nom]there are loosers that love apple so much, they would do this lol, if i had the money i would open the largest PC store in the world, and ban known apple users from it lol[/citation]

loser: somebody who has not won, somebody put at a disadvantage

looser: not firmly attached. slack, not fastened or pulled tight. imprecise, not exact.

Ironically, you fit the definition of both.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]They threw away backwards compatibility in favor of forward progress and advancement.

Windows on the other hand, clings to this antiquated compatibility layer. It has hundreds of MB of legacy compatibility code that just needs to get tossed out.[/citation]
The Mac OS X can run software from the Mac OS 9. It also has compatibility layers.

[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]It is Open Source.[/citation]
I don't get where people get the idea that the Mac OS X is open source, it's a proprietary software just like Windows. Only the XNU is open source.

[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]You cannot easily migrate a user account (and all their desktop settings, documents, etc.) over to another machine.[/citation]
Have you ever hear about "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" on windows xp or "Windows Easy Transfer" on windows vista/7?

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]That's just it - there is not this price disparity that you allege. A computer is more than just a CPU, RAM, and GPU. For example, Apple uses 8-bit and 10-bit S-IPS panels in their Macbook Pro laptops and stand-alone displays. Most everyone else uses crappy 6-bit TN panels. Most people don't even know the difference between an 8-bit display and a 6-bit display, or an S-IPS panel and a TN panel, and so they ignore such large differences in their price "comparisons". Once you truly look at ALL the specifications of the machine, you'll find that a comparable PC costs the same.[/citation]

It appears that even you don't know the difference between a IPS and TN screens when looking at them, because the MacBook Pro uses a standard TN panel. Apple has ditched IPS screens on their laptops, as did the rest of the laptop manufacturers that also used it. Yep, it was also possible to buy an IPS laptop besides Apple. Another thing, Apple used IPS displays, not S-IPS.

simplec1

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
For all of you MS haters here are some hard facts that you may not even realize. The sad truth is that most everything you do,use,purchase or read is done on a windows pc. example. that cash register that was used at checkout at the grocery store was built either by IBM,Fujitsu or Toshiba, and guess what OS is installed... you got windows. pump gas at the gas station, or petrol station if you are in Europe guess what that backend server is running windows, use an ATM lately,, bingo windows. have you watched any movies lately, 9 out of 10 rendering (special effect studios) farms use either windows or a linux based OS. Yes we know that it uses a lot of legacy code but when 95% of the world uses it in one way or the other you might want to stop and think why. Yes it's buggy and when i say buggy i mean Vista (Win 7 seems to work fine for me so far). But the truth is MS is just the system to use for most people

Status
Not open for further replies.