Bios Program to Install DOS 6.22 on 10 GB legacy Hardrive

cantankerous9

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Am looking for links to software programs to install DOS 6.22 on a 10 GB Maxtor Hard Drive Model # 90680u2 so that I can install a DOS based 3D CAD Program that is stellar in it's operation. The Drive originally had Windows 98SE installed. Has been formatted and fdisk'd several times. I just can't get it to work without a BIOS program. I have Western Digital EZ Bios, bit that does not function with the Maxtor Hard Drive. Please Help. This is critical to business operations. Thanks

cantankerous9

Honorable
May 22, 2012
PS. The program uses a hardware lock with a code in DOS. I can either partition the drive using my Windows 98SE Disk, or the boot disk created for Windows 98SE, but then I can't install DOS 6.22. I f I format the drive in DOS 6.22, it only takes it to the max of 2.1 GB and the rest of the drive is invisible. Have attempted contacting Maxtor that is no longer Maxtor but Seagate. They won't respond. They once had a MAXBLAST Bios software to use for this purpose.

DOS 6.22 cannot use partitions bigger than what FAT16 supports, 2GB. Neither Maxtor, nor Seagate, nor Microsoft can change that. As you have discovered, the limit is 2gb per partition.

Have you tried to install your CAD under Win98 DOS prompt?

You can partition the rest of the hard drive as extended partitions, and assign them D, E, F drive letters.

You can also try going around that by installing your CAD under DOS and putting your data files on a network share.

As for "Critical Business Operation" - I would question your reliance of technology which is not supportted for last 20 years or so...

Have you tried to install your CAD under Win98 DOS prompt?
I don't have CAD (whatever this means), but I have installed many DOS programs under Win98 command prompt (without Win98 running). And this was approx. 15 years ago, when Win98 was still used only for Solitary.

What is so special about your CAD program which makes it DOS-only?

cantankerous9

Honorable
May 22, 2012

Alabalcho,
Hi again. The CAD or Computer Aided Drafting program was originally written for DOS as a drafting, estimating and presentation program. There were originally 4 series with minor updates. Today, the program is similar, but has extreme limitations as to key commands, which is where the massive time savings comes into play. It is all GUI now. Not to mention that all our pricing, materials databases, and created symbols databases are under the old DOS based system and will not transfer into the new program versions. As I indicated before, the time savings of the old program is so great simply by ease of use commands, it saves us in labor from 30% to 40% of each individuals time. We do have licenses for the XP and 7 versions, and they are also in use. The original program was so far ahead of any program at that time, AutoCad is only now catching up as to what the program will perform. So, does that qualify as special? As for the old system, I have actually now installed the program into a back up system just freshly re constituted into Windows 98SE, and it works somewhat fine. I still need to work out some kinks and configurations, then transfer the old data to the new system and libraries. There are a few kinks though with video, and the new system is all FAT32, so have to do some tweaks.