Bishop: Facebook, MySpace Leads to Suicide

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdog2076

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
As others have pointed out, the problem lies not in the tool itself but in the usage of it. Like most things in life, moderation is the key to healthy living. Adults should be able to moderate themselves, and children should be moderated by their parents. If only society was perfect...

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Facebook, Myspace, et all are simply symptoms. The suicides linked to these are symptoms, and might have occurred anyhow. The reality is, society as a whole is becoming dehumanized, and anti-social.

Kids don't know their parents, and parents don't know their kids. Family structure has been destroyed. So called progressive thinkers have brought about so many anti-social behaviors that our society continually spirals downward. Feminism pulled our mothers out of their homes, leaving kids in day care centers where they're raised by other people's kids. Discipline was taken away from school authorities, yet teachers are relegated to simply babysitting children because parents are no longer home to discipline properly.

Parents now work so hard, for so many hours, that many of them are out of the home 8 to 10 hours of the day, and when they get home they just want dinner and peace and quiet. There's no more fishing trip with dad, where you can tell him all about the bully at school. No more sewing lessons with mom, where you can tell her about the boys that tease you, or the girls that insult you.

And so our children seek out attention through video games, Facebook, MySpace, drugs, alcohol, teen-sex, and other avenues. And we wonder why kids these days (and even adults) can't handle the stresses of life. They have no support at home, let alone in the mean world that exists without them.

Throw on top of that, the pervasive destruction of moral and religious beliefs in this country (and world), and you find yourself with ilequipped teens who don't even have God to rely on.

jrsdav

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
"Too much exclusive use of electronic information dehumanizes what is a very, very important part of community life and living together."

A lot of Anthropologists have been saying the same for quite awhile now. Our brain wouldn't have evolved the way it did without social interaction, it has been a distinctly deciding factor for setting us apart from other species. While what the Bishop was saying is taking it into a slight extreme, he is right about one thing; Passive aggressive methods of communication are having a huge impact on personal psyche on not just the younger generation, but the current as well.

The interesting thing is no one really knows how this will ultimately affect us in the long run. Science compels me to say; On with the experiment!

G

He makes some valid points, but applies them only to facebook; and only the negative points of facebook.
Facebook keeps me in touch with old friends, and has a lot to offer what in normal day to day life won't be possible (eg: like uploading a picture of a newborn baby only takes uploading it, for all my friends to see; no longer printing and posting, finding addresses etc...).

But take "facebook" out of the article here, and you'll notice a valid point which he makes, in that society has lost the patience to learn and deal with communication with each other.
Facebook really has nothing to do with that and is besides the point.

But people in the spotlight, think of our president, religious leaders, especially people with religious ambitions, are often mal quoted by the press.
A cut and paste, bring a sentence out of the context, and the meaning of someone's speech is easily changed, giving it a whole different meaning.
I thought the press was more mature than that... That it could at least mark the good things this person had to say...

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]He makes some valid points, but applies them only to facebook; and only the negative points of facebook.Facebook keeps me in touch with old friends, and has a lot to offer what in normal day to day life won't be possible (eg: like uploading a picture of a newborn baby only takes uploading it, for all my friends to see; no longer printing and posting, finding addresses etc...).But take "facebook" out of the article here, and you'll notice a valid point which he makes, in that society has lost the patience to learn and deal with communication with each other.Facebook really has nothing to do with that and is besides the point.But people in the spotlight, think of our president, religious leaders, especially people with religious ambitions, are often mal quoted by the press.A cut and paste, bring a sentence out of the context, and the meaning of someone's speech is easily changed, giving it a whole different meaning.I thought the press was more mature than that... That it could at least mark the good things this person had to say...[/citation]

I'm unbelievably confused. Should we have cut the word "Facebook" from the quotes of the Bishop's speech? Or did the Bishop begin by highlighting the positives of social networking, and we just didn't paste that part in the article? Or should Tom's stop doing tech and start covering all news?

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
While I am no fan of websites like myspace I find it ironic that this guy says they are "pulling teens out of reality" and like hes not?! Hes a archbishop he believes and teaches that a invisible deity made us from dirt and then made women out of the first man's rib. Like hes in any position to criticize something for bringing people out of reality.

panacuba

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
another stupity of the church......why cuz church sux...live the way u wanna be dont let anyone or anything tell u have to behave

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]adamovera[/nom] PS - And why didn't the omnipotent magic man in the sky prevent this from happening in the first place?[/citation]

hahaha, sry, loved that one, i agree with your post though, +1

I personally never got into social networks, I have a facebook account i access once a week at best, why? I dont know, I have no use for it, and your right, in a while another form of "blind" communication will come about and that will be the new problem, shit just keeps hitting the fan for some ppl, teach children common sense (yes, impossibly hard for those who dont have it to begin with...) and right there everyone will be better off

zelog

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]adamovera[/nom] PS - And why didn't the omnipotent magic man in the sky prevent this from happening in the first place?[/citation]

Why would God stop you from killing yourself? If you want to be a retard, then go ahead, it's your decision to make. But don't come whining once it's time to settle the score.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I believe that bishop with regards to losing out on a bit of social skills, but that's about it. Anything in excess is unhealthy, that includes socializing exclusively online, but also the opposite. Suicides isn't something invented this millenia, but something that's simply heard of more often with the advent of global news systems such as the internet. I'm guessing the bishop is as misguided with reagrds to this as he is in his belief. But be that as it may, less experience equals poorer skills, and obviously with time not being flexible enough to compensate for skills not excercised, one does lose skills in that particular branch - in this case irl social interaction.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]zelog[/nom]Why would God stop you from killing yourself? If you want to be a retard, then go ahead, it's your decision to make. But don't come whining once it's time to settle the score.[/citation]
Being a retard is not a choice one can make for himself. It's a physical condition one is or isn't born with.
And in general nobody can blame god for anything. We're responsible for our own self, and if we fail, then it's our problem ; no matter which god, or gods, one happends to be most inclined to believe in. That's really one thing all religions I've heard about have in common. Responsibility is with the individual, not with the creator. Make the best out of whatever you've got ; end of story.

G

lol @ bishop he should go back to his cave. What a stupid thing to say from him.

mcreskiller

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I conserder my self a lucky teenager my dad takes me on a fishing trip nearly every weekend of the summer so i can just talk one on one and guess what? im one of the best behaved kids the school has ever seen. and my moms a stay at home mom and guess what iv being put into peer presure and i DONT give in :p people have tryed there damnest to get me into drugs yet all it takes for them to get out of it is a fishing trip with my dad :

jw_37

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
He stole this idea from the Japanese movie "Suicide Club" Can't the church come up with any original ideas?

skyu

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
A very weak person is inclined to comit suicide ,no matter what is the reason.A normal behaviour (for me) is to give the finger to those "fellow students" .Blaming sites for this is wrong.As I remember,all sites have "report abuse" or something.Oh...I guess it was easier to swallow pills than to look for the right button.Crap

Status
Not open for further replies.