Bitdefender crashing windows 10

Shoshie

Estimable
Nov 7, 2015
I'm doing a PC build for the first time. Everything seemed to be going fine, I got it assembled and windows installed. Then I tried installing Bitdefender 2016, It goes through the install process and when it asks that I sign in to activate the account on my computer it errors out with "unexpected error occurred, please make sure you are connected to the internet and try again."

Obviously being connected to the internet I try again and again with the same result. So I get frustrated, shut down the computer and do something else for a while. When I boot my system up to try again it goes straight to windows recovery... Nothing works until I restore to a previous version before I installed Bitdefender. The process repeats itself over and over.

The last thing I did last night before giving up was the reformat all my drives, and do a fresh install of windows.

I have not been able to try again today (I'll be back at it in a few hours) but I thought I'd ask if anyone has heard of this or has any suggestions?

tl;dr: brand new install of windows 10 on a new PC, bitdefender wont activate but crashes windows at launch.

Solution
I had a similar problem with Avira on Windows 10 on my laptop; I fixed it by disabling Microsoft's built-in antivirus feature.

Hopefully that helps. :)