Bitdefender, F-Secure, Kaspersky Rated Top Anti-Virus Suites

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
its been a while since windows defender was worth the time to install it. Rolling with avast! at the moment, long time AVG user, just got tired of all the ads on the new one. Nice to see the free ones are basically indistinguishable from the paid services still. That's also been the case for over a decade as well.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
I wondering the same thing. I have never used Windows Defender. I have always used Microsoft Security Essentials... It has done well for viruses, but doesn't seem to do well with malware.

compprob237

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Hmm, I've been more inclined to trust the testing done by Matousec myself. Their testing puts the software through a range of protection requirements.

Most notable is the common heavily advertised security solutions, Norton IS and McAfee, show up well down on the list at only 9% and 3% protection respectively. Kaspersky gets a great score (86%), BitDefender gets a bed score (7%), and F-Secure gets an awful score (3%).

It's interesting that Comodo Internet Security Premium is at the top of the list... and is Free.

smeghead4269

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
@debido666 & the1kingbob: Windows Defender is basically the equivalent of Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 8...even though Defender was originally the name of an anti-spyware program for Windows XP/Vista/7 that was superseded by MSE. I have no idea why they decided to recycle the Defender name instead of just sticking with MSE. Then again, this is the same company that put the number ONE in the name of their THIRD game console. The people who handle the naming of products at Microsoft have clearly been smoking something.

clivene09

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
BitDefender should never EVER be considered a top antivirus software. About three and a half years ago, everyone running windows 7 64 bit had all their .dll files quarantined as a virus after an update. Once things went wacky, if you decided to try and restart your computer, windows would fail to load at all because all the .dlls were in quarantine. F BitDefender.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
I've been using Avira for a while. It's not the best (it tends to give false positives for any application that uses code injection techniques, not only malicious applications) but it's very lightweight.

In my work we use Kaspersky AV 6. It works well, but it slows down the system to a crawl.

Ian Crick

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
I have a laptop and the children have 2 desktops and I've used F-Secure Internet Security for at least 8 years and never had any major problems. In fact in all this time I've only had about 3 things get through the security on the children's desktops and I think it was because they tried installing things they knew nothing about. Even though this happened it was F-Secure that also removed the malware. Kids will be kids and if F-Secure was not on their machines, they would never be working.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
I'm using Microsoft Security essentials since it first came out. Haven't had a problem with viruses since then, and neither did most people who used it either. For Malware, I use Malwarebytes free (and only if I suspect there might be an infection lurking, which is practically never - but I do check the computer periodically and it always comes up clean). No AV software is really that good against Malware... which is why I have MBAM for backup. Plus I use Adblock Plus, HTTPS Everywhere and Do not Track extensions for Chrome (its an effective way to minimize potential problems). I don't see the point in paying for an AV when the free ones are just as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.