Bitlocker, the manufacturer partitions and NTFS

Med_6

Estimable
Sep 7, 2015
Hello,

I have just bought this Probook 450 G2 with Freedos. Initially there was two manufacturer partitions, each about 8 GO, one for HP documents and the second for something else. I deleted the one about documents and but didn't delete the other thinking it is critical. Apart from these two small partitions, I split the drive into 4 other partitions. I installed Windows 10 on the first, and I shifted to 8.1 and the same problem. I think the problem lies in the manufacturer FAT32 partition.

The problem is when I want to turn on Bitlocker for the Windows drive, it asks for NTFS even though the C partition, but not that of the manufacturer, is so already.

I cannot delete the FAT32 drive. When I try through Disk Management, the system says: "Windows cannot delete the active system partition on this disk."

I get the same error when I try to use third-party apps like EaseUS.

I don't want to delete that partition, but it causes me much trouble. Apart from the problem of Bitlocker, because of this partition, I cannot use System Image Backup. When I try to do so, the system chooses the C drive as well as the problematic partition because it is a System drive, and I cannot deselect it. I cannot create the system image backup either as I receive an error saying that it is not formatted NTFS.

I wonder why would HP create a partition in FAT32 that cannot be deleted and that prevents me from using critical apps like Bitlocker and System Image Backup.

Please help me!

Here are some screenshots:

About Bitlocker
qnft9YJ.png

Qia5pXW.png

About Image System
wSumaBP.png

zcq7Kmo.png

7lLVxG2.png

flwJy1S.png

Content of the problematic/manufacturer partition through EaseUs app

f3z2dVV.png
Thank you!

Solution
You can't delete an active partition from Windows, has nothing to do with how HP set it up, and the other major point is that you did not buy the laptop with Windows, therefore the setup HP did for it was for the OS it came with, not what you changed it to.

If you remove ALL the partitions as above, it will ensure that you don't have any issues with your Windows setup.

Med_6

Estimable
Sep 7, 2015
40 reads and no reply for 13 days and I'm still waiting. Could someone please tell me what is wrong with this thread? Is the problem hard to solve or not clear?

Thank you!

You can't delete an active partition from Windows, has nothing to do with how HP set it up, and the other major point is that you did not buy the laptop with Windows, therefore the setup HP did for it was for the OS it came with, not what you changed it to.

If you remove ALL the partitions as above, it will ensure that you don't have any issues with your Windows setup.

Solution