BitTorrent Proxies, VPNs Increased After 'Six Strikes' Launch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swisser873

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]Amazing what lengths people go to illegally download stuff they shouldn't.[/citation]

Ever tried finding a legit digital copy of the Felix the Cat: The Movie with out BitTorrent?

cyphacipher

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
[citation][nom]blackbke[/nom]Hello. I used to be a serial killing psychopath, but since pirating has become the world's most serious crime I've turned to illegal downloading. The ridiculous amount of movies, games and music I'm now leeching for free seemingly damages the worldwide economy SO much that the thrill of serial killing pales in comparison. How awesome is that! Could anyone be so viciously kind to give me a kill ratio? Like: 1000 gb of illegal movie download gives me 5 layoffs somewhere in the world? I would really love that. Thanks!Your pain, my gain.[/citation]

Its 10am here, and this was the guaranteed best post of the day! Thank you! BTW, 1000gb is a Killshot, also worth 5 layoffs and running over a cat.

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I am not going to lie and say I don't download games. I do it to "try it before I buy it". I don't have a lot of cash to spend on games, so I do not want to waste it. I bought Heart of the Swarm yesterday, which is an expansion of Starcraft 2 that I also bought, but only after downloading and actually trying it on my machine first. That is $100 that I gave to Blizzard that I would not have spent if I wouldn't have "illegally" downloaded it first. I did the same thing for Skyrim.

There is a reason you buy a car AFTER you test drive it, not the other way around. Heck, if you pay for a really bad movie, most of the time the theater will refund your money, because they want you back in the future. Why can't these game companies abide by the same rules? They want your money upfront and give you no recourse if you are not satisfied.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I got to love great thinkers, the speeches about national security ect. This piracy hunt - All it does is push everyone to use highly encrypted connections... and what does that end up to? Its impossible to find the REAL threats to the nation. When say 5% was encrypted before it will end up to 95%. That's 19 times more data to decrypt.... clever move just to bust a few kids and their moms from their homes because the kid shared a music track. Got to love shortsighted politicians!

jdwii

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]More aware of these issues than you realize, it was just a statement of what means people will go to.Didn't mean to double post previously, sites been weird for me since update(404) errors and stuff. I find it hard to support both sides of the equation at times. We need better better availability and access to content at fair prices without weird things keeping people from viewing content in other countries too. I can understand too when people pirate a game when companies like EA do disgusting single player DRM, it only hurts paying customers.I still don't find it right to download something when illegally without purchasing the right to consume that consent. It's like sneaking into an amusement park without paying for the right to be there.I know I will be down voted for these comments though too, but I still feel the urge to post my opinion with so many pro-piracy people here.[/citation]
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]More aware of these issues than you realize, it was just a statement of what means people will go to.Didn't mean to double post previously, sites been weird for me since update(404) errors and stuff. I find it hard to support both sides of the equation at times. We need better better availability and access to content at fair prices without weird things keeping people from viewing content in other countries too. I can understand too when people pirate a game when companies like EA do disgusting single player DRM, it only hurts paying customers.I still don't find it right to download something when illegally without purchasing the right to consume that consent. It's like sneaking into an amusement park without paying for the right to be there.I know I will be down voted for these comments though too, but I still feel the urge to post my opinion with so many pro-piracy people here.[/citation]

Or its like i Buy a game for the xbox and let my friend use it for free when i'm done. Or i give my friend my music or Movie.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]OK, it is early in the morning and I did not have coffee yet; but still, I do not understand how piracy of basically 'free' software hurts those providing the free software ?[/citation]
Try reading the link? Perhaps it really is too early in the morning.
"Why Piracy Hurts Open Source" by John Knight. You can't call yourself informed on the matters of piracy until you've read this article. It's only one page long so even those with short attention spans should be able to handle it. The message is short but very, very clear.

edogawa

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
[citation][nom]Swisser873[/nom]Ever tried finding a legit digital copy of the Felix the Cat: The Movie with out BitTorrent?[/citation]

You can find it online easily at several places.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]I still don't find it right to download something when illegally without purchasing the right to consume that consent. It's like sneaking into an amusement park without paying for the right to be there.I know I will be down voted for these comments though too, but I still feel the urge to post my opinion with so many pro-piracy people here.[/citation]

It really comes down to the balance of price. I go to the movies most weeks to catch the new movies. That is $15 and I am not going to pay another $50 to get the movie on Blu-Ray. That is why I download, the studios still get my money for the movies. If they offered reasonably priced HD downloads to NZ I might buy them.

vmem

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
[citation][nom]merikafyeah[/nom]If you look at TorrentFreak's graph, it actually shows that demand already peaked and is heading sharply back downwards.I don't doubt that demand will gradually increase over the long-term, but this dramatic flux in demand is more indicative of a paranoia-induced frenzy.[/citation]

I understand how you feel, however, I must point your anger etc toward our outdated patent/intellectual property laws. most of these laws are lagging way behind the digital/information revolution, and until they're updated, companies will continue to sue each other for millions and billions, and every company will have a virtual monopoly and charge monopoly pricing on all their products. this is not fair to the consumer and to be honest piracy is how a lot of these things balance out.

Status
Not open for further replies.