Solved! Black Asus laptop screen after startup

Jul 5, 2019
Hello everyone, I have an issue with my Asus X556UQ-NH71. When I try to turn the laptop on, the screen keeps black. It doesn't show anything, neither the Asus logo on the screen. However, the laptop is running, I can hear the fans working as well as the DVD/CD drive. Also, the LED indicators are working, but the SDD light is off.

I have tried many solutions such as disconnecting the battery and holding the power button for 30 seconds; starting the system without the battery or even without the SSD.
I have also connected the laptop to an external display but any of these solutions worked.
I can't test the RAM because it's integrated (soldered) into the motherboard, so I can't remove any RAM stick.

I don't know what else to do, so if anyone has any advice it would be great.

Thank you!

Solution
When you connected the external monitor did you make sure the laptop was powered completely off first? If not, as well as there may be keys for switching displays, I suggest you try the info below.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the...
When you connected the external monitor did you make sure the laptop was powered completely off first? If not, as well as there may be keys for switching displays, I suggest you try the info below.

Try this...

4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Solution
Jul 5, 2019

Try this...

4. Turn on the laptop.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.
I've already tried it and it still doesn't work. The last time that I turned up the laptop (before the problem happened), it boots me directly into BIOS (I don't why) but the keyboard wasn't working at the moment , so the only way to get out of it was keeping the power button pressed. After that, the problem happened and I can't see anything on screen. Could it be that the BIOS firmware has been corrupted?

It is possible, or the drive itself is suffering damage. The fact that it is on, running, just nothing on the display, does seem to lead to a display or GPU issue rather than a drive one. But you said sometimes it will show the BIOS? If it shows nothing at all, but runs, then it would not be a BIOS issue. If it will allow you to see BIOS but nothing else, then I would have the GPU looked at.

Jul 5, 2019
I could see the BIOS only once. After that time, the screen went black.
In case the GPU is damaged, it's possible that only one of the GPU's is falling? Either the integrated graphic or the dedicated graphic card (Nvidia 940Mx). Or it may be that both of them are malfunctioning?
Is there anything that I can do to test that?

Jul 8, 2019
I just did the exact same thing to my Asus ux330ua. Speaking to Asus support they say they have outsourced the BIOS update to windows update. If the BIOS installation is interrupted for any reason then the BIOS becomes corrupted and the system fails to boot. This is the troubleshooting advice they gave me:

> If not work, please prepare a USB storage dongle with FAT32 format.
Download the latest BIOS file and modify the BIOS file name: remove -AS and change .xxx to .BIN.
(Sample: P5440UF-AS.305 => P5440UF.BIN)
Insert dongle into device
Press & hold the key “Ctrl” + “Home”(or” Ctrl” + “fn” +”Home”) than power on device to wait ASUS logo show out. Key may unleash.
Around 10~15 seconds
If system can enter into EZ flash mode, please select to the dongle disk folder and click the BIOS to do BIOS flashing.
Than waiting BIOS update finishing and system will reboot.

the English is a little broken but you should be able to follow it. You can download the BIOS for your laptop on the Asus website. If that doesn't work (it didn't for me) then I would send it to them for repair via RMA. Is it still under warranty? ASUS support were very helpful when I spoke to them. I'd give them a ring!