Question Black lines on display appearing and disappearing randomly

Jan 29, 2020
Black lines on laptop display

Hello guys!

I really need your help with black lines on my laptop display.
669246.jpg

As you can see from the picture, there are few black lines.
Strange thing is,the black lines can sometimes turn into "thick lines", sometimes it go back to thin lines. ( This is why I dont think this is due to dead pixels as the line can disappear and reappear randomly)

I dont think this is due to driver, as the black lines still appear when the laptop is in BIOS.

But the sure thing is, the number of lines keep increasing and in general it getting thicker and thicker.

My question is, this black lines are caused by display or chipset problem?
I will buy a new display and change it myself, but I am afraid the problem lies not with the display but with the chipset.

Is there a possible way to know whether the chipset is the one which causes this problem or not without having an external monitor? I cant get either an external monitor/HDMI cable..

I only have phone (obviously) and a 2nd laptop. Is it possible to check whether the chip set i faulty with a phone or a 2nd laptop?

Thank you very much for your help :)

SHaines

Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 1, 2019
Is there a possible way to know whether the chipset is the one which causes this problem or not without having an external monitor? I cant get either an external monitor/HDMI cable..

Hey there,

Hopefully someone will have more insight into this, but the only way I can think of to confirm where the problem resides is by checking an external monitor.

Can you provide the model/specs of the laptop, just in case there may be additional info we can gather from those details?

Reactions: Christo3333
It could be the cable that connects the display to the motherboard. However, first try this...
  1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

If the cable is pinched, damaged, loose, etc., it could cause odd things on the display. I would check that first. Should that prove not to be the problem, then you are likely going to have to replace the display. Even though it doesn't do it all the time, it still could be the display.

Reactions: Christo3333
Jan 29, 2020
Hey there,

Hopefully someone will have more insight into this, but the only way I can think of to confirm where the problem resides is by checking an external monitor.

Can you provide the model/specs of the laptop, just in case there may be additional info we can gather from those details?

Hi shaines, thanks for your reply.

The model is Asus UX330. A friend of mine told me that the problem is 99% due to the LCD. Because faulty chipset is rare nowadays and will cause different problem too with the display. Do you think this is true?

It could be the cable that connects the display to the motherboard. However, first try this...
  1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.
NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

If the cable is pinched, damaged, loose, etc., it could cause odd things on the display. I would check that first. Should that prove not to be the problem, then you are likely going to have to replace the display. Even though it doesn't do it all the time, it still could be the display.

Hi webworkings, thank for your reply.

The problem is that I dont have an external monitor.. right now I cant even think a way to get an external monitor to test except buying one.
Are there other ways to test without having an external monitor? Can I make my 2nd laptop an external monitor somehow? XD

Last edited: