Black Magic Cinema Camera or Pocket Cinema Camera?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kwilli93

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
Ok guys im completely torn between the two. On one hand the 2.5K RAW Cinema Camera footage looks amazing! Very high quality. I could really see myself shooting a big production with the cinema camera. Especially compared to the pocket cameras measly 1080p footage. Yuck! Come on now, what are we in the dark ages? lol

On the other hand for the price, the pocket camera is NOT that bad in terms of quality and cost combo. AND it would be MUCH easier in post-production to handle than the huge 2.5K RAW video files.

Which brings me to my third paragraph, and my question. Would you guys say to spend the extra money and go for the Cinema Camera for the better quality? Or...appreciate the Pocket Camera's RAW capabilities and and save money in post production?

And my second question: Let's say, hypothetically speaking of course, that I am a very low budget producer without the necessary tools and hardware to manage 2.5K RAW and not a good enough workstation (or lack of) to edit it...

Would you guys say to start investing in a nice production workstation and buy the cinema camera or work with what I have and go for the pocket?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Solution
I have to agree with USAFRet that it is a codec related problem. What version of Premiere are you using? I was able to open (import) the file with Premiere Pro CS6 and Corel VideoStudio Pro X5. I was also able to open the file with MPEG Streamclip (http://www.squared5.com/) which would allow me to convert it to another format such as .mp4 or ,avi and others. The video stream info I was able to get is that the file is DNxHD 709, 1920x1080, 25fps.

kwilli93

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013

I see a .mov file but when i open it in premiere i get an error message saying codec missing or unavailable.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Ahhhhh. That would be the issue. Whatever codec Premier needs to open a .mov appears to be missing on your system.

kwilli93

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013

Any idea what to do?

USAFRet

Illustrious

For Premier Pro CS4: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/supported-file-formats-premiere-pro.html
Video file formats
QuickTime Movie (.mov) Import and Export QuickTime player required on Windows

Maybe install Quicktime.

I have to agree with USAFRet that it is a codec related problem. What version of Premiere are you using? I was able to open (import) the file with Premiere Pro CS6 and Corel VideoStudio Pro X5. I was also able to open the file with MPEG Streamclip (http://www.squared5.com/) which would allow me to convert it to another format such as .mp4 or ,avi and others. The video stream info I was able to get is that the file is DNxHD 709, 1920x1080, 25fps.

Solution

kwilli93

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013

Im using premiere 5.5

kwilli93

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
Nevermind i think i have it all figured out. Something about the clip was damaged so it wouldnt show up in anything not even that program you recomended Ken. BUT i was able to download another clip and although it wasnt raw it was a 2.5K proxy i guess that was put through proxy creation in after effects. Im downloading an actual RAW clip now to see if this will open up as well. Thanks for the help guys!

Let us know if you do get it to work. Sounds like you have found the solution or are well on your way to finding it.

kwilli93

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
Thanks for the help! I did get it to work. Albeit it is slow, but i can edit RAW 2.5K on a measly i5 laptop. Since this is the case ill just get a basic workstation since i can edit it just fine on this computer. Thanks!