Black Mirror Season 5 Is an Insult to My Generation

Jun 16, 2019
To be fair, I don't believe that Smithereens is actually as preachy as it comes across.

There is an implication throughout the series that many of the episodes take place in a shared universe. This episode does not have anything in it's content, that I noticed, precluding it from that same timeline. If so, that would make the events of the episode a sort of history events that have already occurred.

Episode 2, Smithereens, appears to take place in the modern day and would probably be in the first three if ordered chronologically. I think that what you are watching is not a moral highroad tale of , but rather a comment on the inevitability of technology to advance and supplant. The role it has in modern life (entertainment, employment, news), as well as the power it has (personal data profiles, private corporations with great power) are major themes for this one.

Even though this man was willing to go to such extreme lengths in an attempt to bring attention to what effect it can have on people, the creator of it is unable to do a thing to stop it. Topher Grace's character, a CEO and founder of a major platform is no more than a figurehead. Neutered, even when giving direct orders to people "below" him hierarchically. The police attempt to keep information limited to the public, but a kid with a phone was enough to bring the world to their doorstep.

Our coexistence with and dependence on technology and a connected world is inevitable, and there is nothing that can stop it. Some people might want to, some might become persuaded, but progress will not stop. These are just minor events that lead into the world of 50 Million Merits.

Reactions: RudyZiegler
Jun 17, 2019
Annoying enough to see yet another writer say the occupation of Scott's character is driver, but this one paid so little attention that she seems to think the kidnapping was some sort of spontaneous act resulting from his annoyance with phone addicts. Scott's character was a TEACHER, whose life was destroyed by his moment of phone distraction, and during his months of dissolution and planning he bought an identity that let him impersonate a driver so he could kidnap a high-level employee of Smithereen.

If she reviewed POINT BREAK, I can imagine her telling us "President Reagan robbed a bank. Did Nancy buy too many expensive outfits again?"

So if she sees this as Brooker criticizing Millennials for paying too little attention, it looks like he's right.

Jun 17, 2019
What do millennials hate most? Others trying to speak for them. lol.

But really, I fervently disagree, as a millennial, with this article and would ask that you kindly don't take such a preachy tone yourself in future publications.

Also it rubs me the wrong way when you do so while exaggerating so incredibly for effect. "the episode ends with a solid several minutes of various shots of young people checking their phones."

"a solid several minutes" is in fact, just 30 seconds, in four shots edited in quick succession.

I know you don't want your articles to come across as annoying, so please consider these points in the future. Cheers!

Reactions: RudyZiegler
Jun 26, 2019
Maybe you guys shouldn't get so butthurt about someone expressing a passionate opinion. I agree with the author 100%. The old black mirror was fresh, reflective, and emotionally complex. Season 5 has absolutely nothing to say that we haven't already heard 1000000000 times.

TRENDING THREADS