black screen but back lit laptop

MomTeachAng

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015
Hello. There have been several times my Toshiba laptop (2 yrs old running Windows 8.1) has started up only to show a black back lit screen with a cursor (arrow). It goes no further. Fan is working. Usually it will start back up on if I force the shut down and restart it. One time it didn't start back up for probably 5 different tries. One time it also started up and stopped with a blue screen. I have checked the RAM, powercord/box, and have run a diagnostic test which shows no problems. I have not seen any wavy screens or error codes or anything like that. Any ideas?

Solution
Sounds offhand like a corrupted driver, does your loading time seem excessively long when it does start up properly?
Have any programs been installed recently or any hardware (external drives etc.)?

MomTeachAng

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015
Nothing new added. I'm not sure what to say about startup... it isn't fast, but I can't recall it being slower than it had been say a month or so ago. If I would have to reinstall a driver what all would I need to do and how would I tell if that is the problem? Any other thoughts? I have to depend on jobs with my computer being up, so it is important that I get this figured out and not lose my computer. :( Thanks!

I think the first place to go would be this article https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-8.html see where you get. I'd personally start down at the area titled "Options to try before using Recovery Environment in Windows 8 and 8.1", it's a little ways down on the page. Actually the entire article is worth a read IMO. If you come across something you don't understand, ask here and we'll attempt to clarify

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

From being powered off, then turned on, NO laptop just simply goes to a black screen with a cursor without first having the OEM screen during POST. It usually then occurs after the Windows splash screen, sometimes before, but ultimately you should have seen the Toshiba screen first.

MomTeachAng

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015