Black screen on startup with Toshiba Laptop

Skull_C0wboy

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
I'm trying to repair a Toshiba Satellite C50D-B-11N for a friend.

When he gave it to me, it would power up, the fans would run and the HDD would spin, but nothing would display on the screen. Not even the Toshiba splash screen.

I just installed a new motherboard, as I figured his GPU must have gone. After I first power it on, I get the splash screen, then BIOS, but when trying to boot up windows it keeps saying "Exiting PXE ROM", even after setting the HDD as the first boot device.

After a few restarts, it takes me through an automated repair process, where it says it is rebuilding the boot block. After a restart, I'm back to square one, with no splash screen or any display at all.

Any ideas? I've run through many of the troubleshooting forums and have had no luck.

Skull_C0wboy

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if I ever get the display back. But since then, I'm not even able to get to the BIOS or even see the splash screen. I had a display about 20 minutes before I posted, then it tried to repair the boot log, and now I get no display at all.

Skull_C0wboy

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016

No luck with this. I'd tried it for longer periods of time too, but no results yet.

zer0c00l587

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
I think you should boot up with a windows disc, try repairing windows installation in recovery console, it gives options to fix startup issues, system restore or command prompt use. New motherboard sometimes forces complete reinstall of windows.

Skull_C0wboy

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016

Thanks for your replies. I'll give that a try when I can. It doesn't have a disc drive, but I should be able to source an external drive to try that. Hopefully I'll be able to get a display, despite the splash screen not currently coming up.

Skull_C0wboy

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016

I was able to install the disc drive from my laptop and put in the windows disc. I can hear the disc spinning up but still nothing displayed on the screen.

I might be way off, but I feel as though the BIOS must have been corrupted or wiped, as it displayed fine after I installed the new MB, but then stopped displaying after trying to repair the boot block.

Skull_C0wboy

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016

I had already tried this through the HDMI port and had no luck. I've been trying to get hold of a VGA cable before responding. Still nothing on an external monitor.

HarukaNanase

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
Hold a bright light against it and even if the shows up faintly, you can determine if it has to have a new backlight. However, if it isn't showing up on an external monitor, then you'll need to ask an expert. One of your hard drives might be screwed up. Otherwise, I can't help.