Solved! Black screen problem

Sep 15, 2019
Ok, to start out I have somewhat mediocre knowledge when it comes to PC and laptop repair. I know a bit but also Im kinda dumb with some things, lol.
I have a HP 15-f111dx laptop. This laptop is touchscreen. The screen blacked out on me one day. Can see desktop while shining a light to the screen. Can hook up HDMI and use external display. Bought a new (40 pin) touchscreen LCD and replaced it. No change. New video cable. No change. New motherboard. No change. I had a 40 pin LCD screen I was putting in a laptop for a friend, non touch screen... hooked it up just to see, and it lit up fine.... Im at a loss. I have basically replaced it all and nadda. hooked up a screen that goes to a diff model and it works fine... am I missing something or am I just that oblivious to the obvious? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Sounds like the inverter is possibly toast. Now it is possible that it is a setting and not that so first you need to check the brightness...

Try this...

1. Go into "Control Panel" and then "Power Options".

2. Click the "Change plan settings" link next to which ever plan you are currently using and then click "Change advance power settings".

3. In this new window click "Display" to open up the listings under it.

4. Now locate and click each of the following..."Display brightness", "Dimmed display brightness" and "Enable adaptive brightness".

5. Change each of these to the settings you wish, then click the "Apply" button and finally the "OK" button.

If that doesn't do it, then you are going to have to replace the inverter. If you...
Sounds like the inverter is possibly toast. Now it is possible that it is a setting and not that so first you need to check the brightness...

Try this...

1. Go into "Control Panel" and then "Power Options".

2. Click the "Change plan settings" link next to which ever plan you are currently using and then click "Change advance power settings".

3. In this new window click "Display" to open up the listings under it.

4. Now locate and click each of the following..."Display brightness", "Dimmed display brightness" and "Enable adaptive brightness".

5. Change each of these to the settings you wish, then click the "Apply" button and finally the "OK" button.

If that doesn't do it, then you are going to have to replace the inverter. If you want to try it yourself you can probably find quite a few videos on how to do the work, otherwise I would try a local tech.

Solution
Sep 15, 2019
nothing under the motherboard. this is top view.

Um3xepc.jpg

and only things with the screen is camera and digitizer.

wFDkW6k.jpg

Sep 15, 2019
That's kinda what I was thinking, maybe down on the bottom where its covered and says DO NOT TOUCH, lol.
But that again is the issue I am having, I cant find any info to base any concrete thoughts on. HP keeps telling me to see an authorized tech, blah blah blah. I cannot find anything about this model and ANYTHING about an inverter. I was really hoping it was going to be something else, because that would mean this screen I bought came with a bad inverter. And its been too long to see about a return or anything. And I REALLY didnt want to spend another $60 on a screen haha. But thank you so much for the help you have offered up. You have been most kind. I guess I will just set it back on the shelf and wait for me to get some funds together to get another screen, haha.

Sep 15, 2019
Yea, If I am ever lucky enough to figure this out I will make sure to post about it in case anyone else runs into the same issue I have. It's the least I can do haha.
But thanks again for trying to help.