Blackberry 100k Apps Milestone Closes Gap on Competitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Seriously, wtf?

The number of apps mean nothing when thousands do the same thing with different colors and fonts. Why is this such a big milestone for these mobile devices. Most apps are free junk whose only purpose is to advertise on your mobile device.

G

More important milestones are when a big app is added, for example, Kindle, and recently for windows phone, things like Spotify and a proper twitter app

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]ubercake[/nom]Seriously, wtf?The number of apps mean nothing when thousands do the same thing with different colors and fonts. Why is this such a big milestone for these mobile devices. Most apps are free junk whose only purpose is to advertise on your mobile device.[/citation]
Agreed, I have been on WP8 as of December and almost all of the major apps (and all of the ones I am interested in) are already available. I don't need hundreds of thousands of redundant fart apps available, or the extreme flood of clone apps that are out to steal user information.

Besides, isn't BB10 just a heavily modded form of Android? Shouldn't that mean that just about every app on Android will run with minimal changes? And if that is the case then isnt this adoption rate a bit slow?

Anywho, BB doesn't bring much to the market other than giving old die-hard BB fans something to look forward to. WP and windows are having more and more integration with each update. Apple and iOS work beautifully with each other. Google is catching on and Android and ChromeOS are in the beginning stages of merging. Even Ubuntu is coming up with a really neat OS platform to bring similar functionality between phones, tablets, and desktops, and theirs even allows you to bring programs over from various devices. OSs like BB and Firefox are going to have a huge disadvantage in the long run unless they can come up with some form of platform that brings a similar UI and software across multiple platforms. And BB is going to have particular issues if they get purchased by Lenovo, who will probably just run it in the ground anyways. Nothing against Lenovo hardware... but they are not exactly a software company, and a lot of the higher ups in BB are just waiting to be purchased so that they can properly cash out and run, which would leave Lenovo/BB in an awkward situation.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Note I also own an iPhone, bb10 feels far more modern and it's truly multitasking Os, not to mention gestures navigation far quicker to navigation. Honestly I say go play with it for yourself you'll be pleasantly surprised.

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]Note I also own an iPhone, bb10 feels far more modern and it's truly multitasking Os, not to mention gestures navigation far quicker to navigation. Honestly I say go play with it for yourself you'll be pleasantly surprised.[/citation]

Same old ignorant argument! IOS is essentially Mac OS with a cocoa touch layer. Believe it or not iOS has always had the ability to multitask and is heavily threaded, just like Mac OS. What Apple have cleverly done is optimize multitasking in such a way that it is literally impossible to bog down the system. This is why iOS is so buttery smooth. Other OS's should take note and understand that mobile OS's don't have the same resources and CPU power of a desktop. In fact, I have more slow downs and lockups with Windows 7 than I do on iOS. Just launching the default Microsoft email client locks mouse and keyboard input whilst receiving and sorting emails. Have Microsoft never heard of threads? Anyway, my point is that the only people saying that iOS doesn't support true multitasking are pretty ignorant at best.

dragon5677

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
\[citation][nom]frank_drebin[/nom]lol. bb is dead[/citation]

hey dumbass! BB10 is built on QNX with a built in android EMULATOR.
Android is LINUX GET IT? By any chance you american?

dragon5677

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]Agreed, I have been on WP8 as of December and almost all of the major apps (and all of the ones I am interested in) are already available. I don't need hundreds of thousands of redundant fart apps available, or the extreme flood of clone apps that are out to steal user information.Besides, isn't BB10 just a heavily modded form of Android? Shouldn't that mean that just about every app on Android will run with minimal changes? And if that is the case then isnt this adoption rate a bit slow?Anywho, BB doesn't bring much to the market other than giving old die-hard BB fans something to look forward to. WP and windows are having more and more integration with each update. Apple and iOS work beautifully with each other. Google is catching on and Android and ChromeOS are in the beginning stages of merging. Even Ubuntu is coming up with a really neat OS platform to bring similar functionality between phones, tablets, and desktops, and theirs even allows you to bring programs over from various devices. OSs like BB and Firefox are going to have a huge disadvantage in the long run unless they can come up with some form of platform that brings a similar UI and software across multiple platforms. And BB is going to have particular issues if they get purchased by Lenovo, who will probably just run it in the ground anyways. Nothing against Lenovo hardware... but they are not exactly a software company, and a lot of the higher ups in BB are just waiting to be purchased so that they can properly cash out and run, which would leave Lenovo/BB in an awkward situation.[/citation]

hey dumbass! BB10 is built on QNX with a built in android EMULATOR.
Android is LINUX GET IT? By any chance you american?

dragon5677

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
[citation][nom]pacomac[/nom]Same old ignorant argument! IOS is essentially Mac OS with a cocoa touch layer. Believe it or not iOS has always had the ability to multitask and is heavily threaded, just like Mac OS. What Apple have cleverly done is optimize multitasking in such a way that it is literally impossible to bog down the system. This is why iOS is so buttery smooth. Other OS's should take note and understand that mobile OS's don't have the same resources and CPU power of a desktop. In fact, I have more slow downs and lockups with Windows 7 than I do on iOS. Just launching the default Microsoft email client locks mouse and keyboard input whilst receiving and sorting emails. Have Microsoft never heard of threads? Anyway, my point is that the only people saying that iOS doesn't support true multitasking are pretty ignorant at best.[/citation]
How did you manage to run from the mental hospital?

Status
Not open for further replies.