Blacksn0w Unlocks iPhone for All Carriers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]if it was legal, it would be worth millions. while i'm generally not a fan of open source - when its one or a group of arrogant programmers with spare time aiming to completely undercut and destroy a valid market - there definitely is a few times and places for it, and one particular place is when the software is of questionable legality. another is counteracting massive DICK moves by retards like Apple! (why should I have to pay more to have my device work like it should!)[/citation]
How do open source programmers undercut and destroy a "valid" market? I don't see Ubuntu knocking out Microsoft anytime soon and and I'd say some of the best programmers are open source providers. Its like a charitable organization. Is goodwill or the red-cross undercutting wallmart and medical insurance companies? Or how about the salvation Army or local food pantries "undercutting" Meijer or other major stores? Is it not okay to provide a service without charging for it? Does that mean you would turn down free gas for your car or someone helping you out?

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I think this is great for everyone except for ATT. I think exclusive rights for devices is pathetic and un-constitutonal( illegal ). So when i see stuff like this happen i giggle first and then fart, i am sick and tired of Apple and Att playing their little jack whack game. Go Jailbreakers, the H_ll with ATT and Apple.

cthree

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
It literally blows my mind *boom* that people who clearly know absolutely NOTHING about the iPhone, unlocking, or cellular technology in general have blogs that actually make the headlines in google news. As many have commented before, NO - the iPhone, a GSM phone will NEVER EVER EVER work on a CDMA network - EVER, unless the hardware is modified - this is one of the most basic realities of cellular technology. How does this filth get on google news? With misinformation like this, did Fox somehow buy google behind the scenes? STOP WRITING, KEVIN PARRISH! PLEASE STOP WRITING. And get a new SEO guy, because whoever is getting your posts to the top of the news rankings is wasting his or her brilliance, hard.

pender21

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
iPhone has a TDMA radio only and not a CDMA/TDMA radio. You might be confusing this with the new Android phone on Verizon, which has the Android 2.0 OS that now includes CDMA within the stack.

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]pender21[/nom]iPhone has a TDMA radio only and not a CDMA/TDMA radio. You might be confusing this with the new Android phone on Verizon, which has the Android 2.0 OS that now includes CDMA within the stack.[/citation]

Actually Verizon does support GSM, but only overseas through Vodafone.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]whatever99115[/nom]Kevin Parish is an idiot, adding in your two bits from a story you copied and pasted, do your research man. The current line up of iphones DOES NOT AND WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO RUN ON A CMDA NETWORK LIKE VERIZON, SPRINT, ALLTEL, ECT.... that is hardware based not software based.IDIOTS!!![/citation]
When I was in West Yellowstone, Montana a few months ago I was able to roam on Verizon's network with my iPhone 3G. Verizon is the one and only cell phone carrier in that area. I had full internet access and perfect voice call quality just like I get on AT&T's network.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Is it not okay to provide a service without charging for it? Does that mean you would turn down free gas for your car or someone helping you out?

yes, I would take free gas, and so would everyone else, and then all the gas stations would go out of buissness, which is the thing I don't agree with.

you are right that many projects do coexist in the market nicely though. linux, open office ect. providing practical if slightly inferior products that keep the paid apps in the game, as well as providing valuable competition.

on the other hand, all you have to do is look at the iphone app store to see it not doing so well, driving down the price of everything, and in most cases taking quality with it.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]on the other hand, all you have to do is look at the iphone app store to see it not doing so well, driving down the price of everything, and in most cases taking quality with it.[/citation]

So you're saying all the 90+ thousand apps are of a quality nature? Does this include the baby shaking app? Seems to be that many of their apps are lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.