Blizzard Sees More WoW Expansions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NightbladeXX

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
$15 a month for the same crap over and over

Its too much, of course they're not going to lower the price until people stop handing them the money

Blizzard is making more than enough money, to crank out much better better monthly patches

Hire some more employees and crank out Diablo 3 and SC2, but those game wont make the money that WoW does so they dont feel its a big thing

I liked blizzard before WoW when they actually gave 2 shits

look how arrogant CEO Mike Morhaime is, he stated "With World of Warcraft surpassing 11 million players, will Blizzard lower to the monthly subscription fee of $14.99? Not a chance, says Morhaime. He contends that players are pretty happy with the current rate and said there really isn’t a better value that you can get in entertainment."

I played and wasnt happy with it, I gave up WoW and found a life

WoW is geared for players that spend hours and hours playing it

it was turning into a second JOB for me, after the last expansion it turned south for me and i quickly became bored with it

GRAPHICS SUCK, I mean come on already I can still play it on my 1999 IBM A31 laptop albeit with the settings all the way down, but after 400+ hrs played do i need the settings cranked up like on my main computer, nope

Altho WoW's cartoonish graphics make it still visually better than the I want to look too realistic that i make PCs look unrealistic

The environment in WoW looks stunning still, and Im still tempted to get the expansion, altho now I have a new GF and kids so its not going to happen and while I want to see it, I enjoy the end game raids too much, and thats a major time commentment

so until i can raid without having to do the guild fights to do it, im patiently waiting for d3 and sc2 and the KOTOR MMO

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
[citation][nom]midnightgun[/nom]The graphics were updated with this expansion. I doubt WoW would hit Oblivion level, the game needs to work on both new and old hardware for everyone.[/citation]
Sure the graphics will get updated sometime. But old hardware will NEVER play at Oblivion levels?? That's a depressing thought.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
I like how towards the end they pretty much such say, hey, instead of getting out of the basement and do something ridiculous and expensive such as *gasp* see a movie, or mini-golf, etc, go give us $15 and stay locked away from the outside.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]What people don't understand is that these expansions nearly double the size of the game when introduced. They aren't little tidbits of the game. Thats what content patches are for. These new expansions have thousands of quests, items, and monsters added, creating another potential 100+ hours of gameplay. Blizzard would be stupid to give this for free.[/citation]
Where your point fails is, that while there's plenty of 'potential hours of gameplay' it's just a 'reply' of what was before. There was absolutely nothing new in wotlk. Seriously. Sure there's a whole new continent. But all the quests are the same types as the old ones, even the gems have just 'doubled stats' and there's nothing really new except a 3 seater mount nobody can afford anyway. So essentially what people pay 15 bucks a month for, is watching the same movie over and over again. Innovastion isn't needed to generate revenue, therefor it isn't present.

In essence I agree with nightblade, except I still respect blizzard. They're the only developer that still does support work. Granted the ingame support is somewhat limited, but they're trying. Just like they tried with the gm's on battle.net in the past.

Alternator

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Sounds like the ceo is a bit cheeky!
But who can blame him, it's not like other companies don't put a premium on their products too ($200 sunglasses etc...)

The graphics are looking a bit dated now. In saying that I feel that the design work on WoW is top of the heap when it comes to MMO's.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]You pay 15 bucks a month for doing the exact same thing you did last month. The mobs have just changed colors and drop new items that happen to be the same thing they did before, but with two stats altered.[/citation]

I give +1 because of your explanations of patches and the graphic update but I have to disagree about paying to do the same over and over again. True, you still have to do quest to gain level to use better weapons to do raids to get better yet weapons and so on. But it's a game, and the point of the game is to do all that stuff. Why throw pucks at a net all the time? Why race around on the same tracks? Why shoot the same monsters in the head over and over again? Each game is repetitive in it's own ways. Now to say that paying 15$ a month do the same thing... it's up to you. I enjoy the game and I enjoy the value. When I think of that 15$ I just think "well, that's 2 beers I won't drink in a bar this month."

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]I give +1 because of your explanations of patches and the graphic update but I have to disagree about paying to do the same over and over again. True, you still have to do quest to gain level to use better weapons to do raids to get better yet weapons and so on. But it's a game, and the point of the game is to do all that stuff. Why throw pucks at a net all the time? Why race around on the same tracks? Why shoot the same monsters in the head over and over again? Each game is repetitive in it's own ways. Now to say that paying 15$ a month do the same thing... it's up to you. I enjoy the game and I enjoy the value. When I think of that 15$ I just think "well, that's 2 beers I won't drink in a bar this month."[/citation]

My point is that the new content essentially is the same as the old content. Sure you have a new goal to reach (if you want). But that's not much different from when diablo 2 ladders reset, and people raced to level 99 again. It was the same game, just reset.

When you talk to endgame raiders, they describe the expansion as a 'gear reset' as much as an expansion. Cause technically it isn't much other than that. Imo an expansion is something different from 'more of the same'. I don't really consider fear extraction point an expansion, but simply an extended ending - cause it didn't deliver any new info or story, simply a bit more running and shooting. On the other hand starcraft brood war was an expansion - cause it added so much new and improved, that it wasn't the old game anymore.
Dunno if you get what I mean ?

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I think we share the same point of view but we just don't agree about how much content is enough to call it an expansion. WoW is an immense universe which already has a lot of content (races, classes, dungeons, items, quests, NPCs, etc). By comparision, it's easy to say that an expansion doesn't add enough content. "Only" one new class may seem a bit slim when you know there's already 9 classes. We "only" get 9 new regions compared to the 30+ we already have. "Only" 10 new dungeons... It depends on how much content is enough. The line between a patch and an expansion is slim. I consider WotLK a full expansion because it offers a new theme. It's not just about new stuff, it's about a new "feeling" to the game. I agree on one thing though, may it be expansion or patch, it should come for free since we already pay for the game. It's just a way for Blizzard to take a few more bucks from us. Still, since they give me hours of entertainement every month, I don't mind much.

Status
Not open for further replies.