Blizzard Speaks Out on DRM

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I'd really be fine with Securom DRM only if you get the installation back after you've uninstalled. There's really no need for 5 different computers to have the same game, I mean, just get a console than... Or get 5 different copies, if you can maintain 5 computers, you can def maintain 5 different games

noobe1981

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
I completely disagree agree eklipz. Say you only have two computers. Specially kids with say divorced parents. They like to keep their computers reformatted once a year. That's two things down a year. So in 3 years time you lose the game. That's bs. Of course this is only an example.

Then you got the fact securerom doesn't tell you its installing.. And last but diffently not least. IT DOESN'T HELP AGAINST PIRACY! If it did EA might have a point, but it doesn't. I'm glad blizzard isn't going this way.

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
"An internet connection is required to initially activate the game"... I can live with this, but they must release a patch to fix it before the activation servers are retired, in 2015 or whenever. That way people who paid for the game can still install it in 2020 if they wish. I still don't like the idea though. What if Blizzard goes bankrupt before they make such a patch. I don't like getting cracks from the Web because you never know what else you get with them.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
[citation][nom]aevm[/nom]"An internet connection is required to initially activate the game"... I can live with this, but they must release a patch to fix it before the activation servers are retired, in 2015 or whenever. That way people who paid for the game can still install it in 2020 if they wish. I still don't like the idea though. What if Blizzard goes bankrupt before they make such a patch. I don't like getting cracks from the Web because you never know what else you get with them.[/citation]

Well, take into consideration the fact that Diablo 1, has been out for about 10 years now, and you can still play it online.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
So they are linking a account to the game, good it's what all games should do. Each company should have their own account, or hell even just have a games for windows account.

This approach would actually be effective against pirates. The DRM currently is more likely to make be pirates.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
If we are talking about MMOs, I disagree with this philosophy. How much does the actual software contribute to their profit versus the monthly fees for playing?

I fully agree that there should only be one login per account, but what would happen to your market if you gave the software interface to the game for free? Then, when you start up, you either log in or you have an option to create a new one.

Then again, if most the profit comes from selling the actual game and they loose money maintaining game servers, then how long will your favorite game really last? No one can run a business at a loss.

Final question - what if you have 3 people share a computer and play a game. Does this mean you need to buy and install 3 copies of the game in order for each of you to have a unique account? What issues might this cause ("oh, you had a game installed already? Sorry, I think I wrote over it when I installed mine...")?

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
OK, but Diablo 2 access to Battle.Net was free, no monthly fees. That's one of the main reasons why the game was so popular.

Also, if you give the software away for free and rely on monthly fees you will lose a large part of the market. Some people (including myself) prefer to play single-player or to host a game and play with a friend or two. Besides, I'm willing to pay $50 for a game and use it for 5 years, but I'm not willing to pay $10 a month for 5 years, i.e. $600.

What they could do, I guess, is sell a deluxe version of the game that gives you 3 or 5 online accounts. That would mean a single game instance to install and patch even if you have multiple users on the same PC. They could enforce that those accounts cannot be active at the same time, of course.

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
You're pretty naive if you think there's only one form of pirating. SecuROM cannot stop cracked copies but then nothing can with current technologies. What SecuROM can do is make copied disks useless after the max installs have been reached. If you think copied disks aren't prevalent you're even more naive. I get SPAM weekly asking me to buy copy software.

sdcaliceli

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
[citation][nom]MDillenbeck[/nom]Final question - what if you have 3 people share a computer and play a game. Does this mean you need to buy and install 3 copies of the game in order for each of you to have a unique account? What issues might this cause ("oh, you had a game installed already? Sorry, I think I wrote over it when I installed mine...")?[/citation]

If there are 3 people playing on one computer and you want to have separate accounts - you must purchase 3 copies of the game to get 3 serial#'s - and only have to install just one.

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Going DRM with SC2 with be a disaster for blizz, one of the main reasons they are so good is that sc is still played it is DRM free, and still fun to play once and a while. It is the convience of the customer not to have DRM.

carnage9270

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]I didn't see any mention of Blizzard's Warden: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warden_(software)[/citation]

I think you're a bit misinformed if you think that Warden has anything to do with antipiracy. Warden looks at people playing the game using cheats and exploits.

Status
Not open for further replies.