Blockbuster: $10 for Unlimited Rentals for One Week

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Netflix may not rent games but their success is due to the streaming. Blockbuster needs to do something to keep themselves alive and this is a step in the right direction, but the lost me at 7 days.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Where i live blockbuster charges almost 7 bucks for a one night rental my corner mac's milk 99 cents, thats the reason why i don't rent from block buster anymore.

I can rent a movie cheaper ANYWHERE else that can't even get close with the so call deals.

A few things I would like to point out here:

-Blueray rentals cost the same as outter wall dvd rentals at blockbuster. Not so bad a deal.
-Some people actually enjoy driving out and wandering around a dvd store for a bit looking at all the movies.
-Last time I checked, driving to the store to rent a movie was faster then waiting on the mailman.
-Blockbuster has a different corporate architecture then netflix. BB also has brick&mortar buildings. Of course it is going to be more expensive.
-Movie star salaries are not determined by BB, why criticize BB for this?

and last but not least: p05esto

Pirating/torrenting without paying a dime is considered stealing. Last time I checked this is a serious crime. Why wouldnt the RIAA go after every person it found pirating? Do you honestly believe they are innocent? In a world without pirating there would be no trouble. People like you bicker about the effect, though are a prime cause.

awaken688

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
This is only a decent deal if you have a BB right next door. Any real person should realize that driving a few miles back and forth to the store each day ruins the savings.

G

@ssddx:
"Last time I checked this is a serious crime."

Really? Where do you live? In North America it has NEVER been defined as a criminal act (i.e. jail time?). If it were, it would be prosecuted in criminal court. So far, the only traction media companies have had is in civil court, where the burden of proof is MUCH less (and where it's pretty clear that most of the time when a little guy is fighting a bigger guy with huge pockets the huge pockets win).

The fact of the matter is downloading media CANNOT BE STOPPED, no matter how much the media companies wish it could be. Whether or not P2P is right or wrong, the media companies have to realize that they have to change, if they don't, they will disappear (which personally may not be such a bad thing).

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
And here I thought Blockbuster went out of business.

Maybe that's just the Blockbuster in my town that literally disappeared overnight, without notice to it's employees.

repatch,

Are you a pirate or are you just condoning their actions?

I would not go so far as to say that it cannot be stopped. It could, however, I highly doubt anyone is ready for a big brother situation. The real problem is that it seems to be accepted, and even suggested by the masses. What if someone was stealing the interest from your savings account, would that be accepted as well? Theft is theft, no matter how you pretty it up.

And I quote:
Trade groups representing movie, game and music publishers announced on February, 19th, 2004 that all new CDs, DVDs and games sold in the United States will feature a new FBI warning label warning about serious consequences that unauthorized copying might cause to the person violating copyright laws.

The label will replace the old variety of labels already shown in most of the media products and will also be significantly more visible on the product cover. The new warning says:

"All Right Reserved. The unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this copyrighted work is illegal. Criminal copyright infringement, including infringement without monetary gain, may be investigated by the FBI and is punishable by up to five years in federal prison and a fine of $250,000."

Trade groups behind the initiative were MPAA, RIAA and ESA (Entertainment Software Association that represent video game publishers).

The warning usually applies to the sale, publication, public showings and distribution of copywriten materials such as movies, music and TV shows for the extent of making profit without special consent of the copywrite holder.

If you plan to only watch the movie/TV show in your own home or make a backup copy for your personal library, that is acceptable.

It is only when you plan to make money on the showing or sale of the movie/TV show that you are breaking the law.

The warning is there to warn you not to break the law.

G

Wow, what a crap deal. At least make it like 3 movies per day, so that you can grab a few and chill at home for a couple of days before going back again. $10/week wtf? You would have to drive back to the video store twice in 1 day, on multiple occasions, to even take advantage of this deal. Who the hell is going to do that? Realistically you are only going to probably get 4-5 movies tops, making each rental more around $2 a pop. Which is what they charge already.

Gotta hand it to tom's for another sham product placement courtesy of their advertisement paymasters.

G

For the piracy debate- What If I bought tools and materials and made copies of car, suits, powerboats, computers, etc. for myself? That is not 'stealing' from the manufacturer of those products- selling the copies is illegal for patent reasons, but personal use is not illegal. Digital media is not material goods. One 'copy' is the same as 1 million- the only way to enforce DRM is to cripple basic capabilities of our computers and the internet to protect rights of the few in an industry that is basically a monopoly. To protect Hollywood, Big brother needs to know what you are doing so you are not downloading "Big Brother, seasons 1-12" I wholly support them creating their own systems, like Apple, kindle, settop boxes, etc. to protect their rights or fees on ISP and cable to cover the 'artists', but I do not want them mucking around my ISP connection or my devices or creating a closed internet system just so Hollywood whores can afford another Yacht.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS