Blockbuster Closing 500 More Locations, Optimistic

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tacobravo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Sad to see em' go.

Too bad movies to rent or watch in the theaters are way too expensive nowadays. Its cheaper just to wait a couple of months when the movie comes out on DVD or Blu Ray.

G

Bahahahah thats what u get u greedy fuks, I owed them $2 and they took me to court over it, the judge laughed at them and ruled in my favor, EAT SHIT all video stores i hope u all go BROKE and starve! FUCKS!

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I remember when I first tried BB they offered in-store 2-at-a-time unlimited deal for 14 bucks. That was back in 2005. When they started the Total Access plans I was very happy since I returned to the store the stuff they sent in the mail and had 3-4 new movies to watch that night.

BB messed up when they decided to eliminate the 4-at-a-time plan, and increased the price of the Total Access plans to over $30. Then they screwed up a second time when they eliminated unlimited in-store returns on those plans. True, I keep a list of movies and usually wait till that's full and then watch a ton in a month. I was happy driving to my local BB to browse, knowing I'd have my mailer to exchange for a new movie.

BB had a great model/product, but then got greedy by jacking up the price and watering down their offerings. Had they kept their plans and pricing the same I would have happily stayed with them and not moved over to Netflix.

I still hit up my local store for browsing, but with in-store plans now over $20 for 1-at-a-time there's no way I'm walking out with a DVD under my arm.

retirepresident

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Hollywood video are going to CLOSE about 700-750 store this year. Most movies aren't worth see and a waste of time. In my town they are 18 Redbox last year you to reserve a movie and now you don't. The bad economy is effecting at least 90% of the business. And its going to get worst.

Snuffles

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
[citation][nom]amdchuck[/nom]I don't know what you are smoking but my measly 15 Mbps cable connection is more than adequate enough to download "HD" quality media in a fraction of the 24 hours you claim. Whether it's downloading full uncompressed disk images/encoded media files or even real time streaming of media encoded at 720 or even 1080 using H264[/citation]

think he meant 200 kbps

G

Block Buster is just too big to fail!!
We need another guv-mit bail out!!
Start the printing presses... again... we need mo' money!

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]Ya'll can keep digital distribution for the time being. It would take over 24 hours for me to DL an HD movie on my connection. My speeds max out at 200mbps and are usually 40-50 when I download. I could make it to Redbox and back 100 times in 24 hours.Digital downloads suck unless you've got an expensive connection.[/citation]

I am more then sure you dont actualy know what your connection is. I have a 20meg connection by 5 meg fios line. Costs me $40 a month i cant imagin what a 200meg line would cost it would be astrinomical. anyways i can download a high def movie in a few minutes. Im assuming your mistaking your full duplex network cards max speed for your internet speed. Otherwise you have the fastest connection in the united state for the end user that i have ever seen.

[citation][nom]Snuffles[/nom]think he meant 200 kbps
.[/citation]

If thats true then he has the slowest connection i have seen since the first DSL and cable lines back in what 97 98?

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
I went to blockbuster a couple of times last decade, and like, twice in the one before that. I already had Sky, so we had a lot of films on that, and the Box Office service on Sky effectively killed our need to rent films. It was very early TV on Demand.

shamgar

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
not everyone lives right in the center of a giant town with fast dsl or cable internet. some of us need to use either satellite (which sucks), or cell phone internet (sprint, at&t, verizon) internet. most cell phone internet cards (the 3g ones) cap out at around 150kbps or 200kbps if you are LUCKY and RIGHT NEXT TO THE CELL PHONE TOWER. so keep bragging about how OMG MY CONNECTION IS SO LEETS MY PANTS CAN BARELY CONTAIN IT, you are a bunch of dirty n00bs that dont realize not everyone gets to have that luxury of a super fast internet connection

shamgar

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
not everyone lives right in the center of a giant town with fast dsl or cable internet. some of us need to use either satellite (which sucks), or cell phone internet (sprint, at&t, verizon) internet. most cell phone internet cards (the 3g ones) cap out at around 150kbps or 200kbps if you are LUCKY and RIGHT NEXT TO THE CELL PHONE TOWER. so keep bragging about how OMG MY CONNECTION IS SO LEETS MY PANTS CAN BARELY CONTAIN IT, you are a bunch of dirty n00bs that dont realize not everyone gets to have that luxury of a super fast internet connection

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
BB as a business model may be declining. But the physical medium is not going anywhere for some time. Proof is in the RedBox. The average family aren't techno savvy enough to network the TV or set top box and download digital files.

I like having my physical format, because I'm a collector. I don't Blueray anything, because of it's expense and Sony greed.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]shamgar[/nom]not everyone lives right in the center of a giant town with fast dsl or cable internet. some of us need to use either satellite (which sucks), or cell phone internet (sprint, at&t, verizon) internet. most cell phone internet cards (the 3g ones) cap out at around 150kbps or 200kbps if you are LUCKY and RIGHT NEXT TO THE CELL PHONE TOWER. so keep bragging about how OMG MY CONNECTION IS SO LEETS MY PANTS CAN BARELY CONTAIN IT, you are a bunch of dirty n00bs that dont realize not everyone gets to have that luxury of a super fast internet connection[/citation]

I live in the middle of Michigan, 15 miles from the closest "city" which has a population of 20k. I have 20Mbps cable internet at my house, out in the boonies.

No not everyone has access to an awesome internet connection, but I would say that more do, than do not. /shrug

G

The point is that Netflix is only a profitable company because people pay and do not use the service. As far as teh redbox goes, keep renting those scratched DVDs.

G

You know I hear so much about net flicks being so great, but hello everyone have you not realized yet that you have to down load. here in Canada i hear customer say they are the greatest with only a nine dollar unlimited up load that you can stream on to your TV or gaming device. one very important thing that you have stop to see is that the internet companies are getting bigger because it cost you money to download. I talked with someone who cost them 1100.00 dollars a month for the internet just so they could get the greatest movies from net flicks. So i ask you this are you really saving your money by being a home body and pushing your download button or would you be further off to go two min down the road say hi and grab a few movies and maybe a snack or two then enjoying the rest of your evening at home with your movies or games and your family.

G

netflix is total garbage lets put are visa over the internet for the whole world to use i own a small video store i will always have a better selection then they could dream of, do you get special edition or extened cuts i doubt that do you get games for your kids no i do not thing so who is really better i know WHERE ITS AT

Status
Not open for further replies.