Bogus Bitcoin Tip Targets Gullible Mac Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Revenant

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Oh 4chan...

I actually saw this one in the works myself, though I rather doubted (and still do) that anyone will buy into it. That said, /b/ did actually manage to get some poor gullible fellow to delete system32 once, so anything's possible, I suppose.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
As someone who is used to the *nix command line and is a GNU/Linux user myself. I instantly knew what this command would do.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Anyone that knows what bitcoin mining is, should know what sudo, and rm -rf/* does. (super user do, remove all files, recursive run, no prompt)

Additionally since most mac non techie users don't seem to believe in security and have their passwords blanked the sudo commands doesn't work.

I do find this quite comical though.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Do we think people paying a 400% markup for their status symbol hardware are going to care? Erasing everything gives them the perfect excuse to buy the latest model. Problem solved.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
How do you guys equate the cost of a computer to weather or not they understand or would fall for something like this? Perhaps people are able to and are willing to pay for something they prefer to use. Does not make them gullible in the least. Just that they are willing to pay for their preference, informed or not. The % of uninformed Mac users vs PC users might surprise you though. Most consumers just buy what is cheapest and could care less about the technical details. They look at computers like toasters and call their monitor the computer and the computer the CPU or a hard drive. I bet everyone on this site knows a few people like that.

Dalethepcman is right though. They should know what sudo and rm -rf /* if they understand what BitCoin mining is at all. Then again, BitCoin seems to be more and more press lately so it is just a matter of time and a basic Google search for someone to read enough to be interested and would fall for this sort of thing.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I don't give a crap what the Mac haters think. I have several Macs, and a couple dedicated windows boxes. I bought a 17" MBP that I use for just about everything. I triple boot it. (Mac OS X for my DJing, and music production because it's stable, and has never crashed on me. EVER!), Kali Linux for my sec, and Pen Testing, and Windows 7 for my other day job. Hands down the best laptop I've ever owned. Only laptop I can use pretty much anywhere. Take your little $400 Acer laptop, and lay it down on a nice comfy pillowtop mattress when you are away from home, working in your hotel room just chillin on the bed after spinning a 5 hour set in the club. Watch it overhead in 2 minutes. The design that went into my MBP alone is worth my spending just shy of 5g on it. 16 Gb RAM, Quad i7, and a 512Gb SSD. But haters will be haters. They just hate because they are ignorant.They are ignorant because they choose not to try something else.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
@Rhinofart, nice comparing a premium Mac product to a $400 Acer laptop. Well done. Nice and logical there.

And as someone whom prefers Windows, I do it for good reason, I choose to be in the 90% of computer user group, not the 9%, thanks.

Nobody at work ever handed me software to login to a Network Element, and said, oh, by the way, this is Mac only...

The Acer I'm typing on now is i7 Extreme etc...But I don't try to compare it to a $400 version.

Ignorance, seems to be your issue pal.

A DJ AND a Pen-tester...hmmm which career is not working out for you there? Success in EITHER field would result in more money that it would be worth the trouble holding down to completely diverse occupations...

I suspect local DJ, Pen-tester in the mind.

DragonChase

Honorable
May 22, 2013
@Rhinofart, nice comparing a premium Mac product to a $400 Acer laptop. Well done. Nice and logical there.

And as someone whom prefers Windows, I do it for good reason, I choose to be in the 90% of computer user group, not the 9%, thanks.

Nobody at work ever handed me software to login to a Network Element, and said, oh, by the way, this is Mac only...

The Acer I'm typing on now is i7 Extreme etc...But I don't try to compare it to a $400 version.

Ignorance, seems to be your issue pal.

A DJ AND a Pen-tester...hmmm which career is not working out for you there? Success in EITHER field would result in more money that it would be worth the trouble holding down to completely diverse occupations...

I suspect local DJ, Pen-tester in the mind.

LOLLL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.