Bookmakers Give iPhone 5 Announcement 20:1 Payout

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Holy crap, that provoked one hell of a response.[/citation]

Proportional to the number of mistakes you made

[citation][nom]willard[/nom]To be honest, I really didn't read all of your post. Only took a few sentences to get the gist. "[/citation]

You didn't read it, yet you know you don't like it. Sounds like the kind of tech fan who doesn't have any interest in an Apple launch. Irrational, denial, bitter, fanboy.

[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Blah blah blah, Apple is better than everyone and has no flaws blah blah blah." Yeah, I hate Apple, and you're clearly in love. How is it that I'm the only biased one here?[/citation]

Everything I stated is a fact or obviously simply an opinion. You presented a series of arguments against Apple, which were incorrect. Clearly, in educating you, my arguments would be conversely pro-Apple - but that is driven by the irrational hatred on your side, not mine - I like to clear the reality up and make the facts clear. Don't confuse that for any kind of bias. If you had said something like 'Android can't take photos' you would have encountered a similarly pro-Android argument.

[citation][nom]willard[/nom]I've owned Apple products. My first smartphone was an iPhone 3G, and I had an iPhone 4 before I swapped it for an Android phone. My opinions aren't out of ignorance, as you so desperately need to believe to protect the brand you have such an irrational need to defend.[/citation]

This from the guy who doesn't know how to use flash on the iPhone, and claims he doesn't know how to tether with it and doesn't know that the iPhone 4 had the best battery life there was, so asks for facility to slow the processor down?

[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Why is it so hard for you to accept that some people want something other than an iDevice? But please, go on telling me how biased I am for not having the same opinion as you, because there are clearly no merits to Android.Fanboy.[/citation]

Your opinion is not what was being disproved. This exact illogical conclusion you reach is exactly why I step in and educated the majority of morons on here, most of whom happen to be Android fanboys like yourself. What was corrected, and further challenged, was your numerous claims about what the iPhone couldn't do which are simply wrong and/or completely useless to most users. Furthermore, you were given absolutely loads of counter arguments, to educate you as to real life practical things that you simply can't do with Android but can with iPhone. You were also asked to justify hating an ecosystem which is no worse than the Android one. I even clearly stated that preferring another phone or device is irrelevant, since if you were intelligent enough to take the context of this conversation into account, you would realise that all I am arguing is that true tech heads 'take an interest' in Apple products.

Final lesson: If you go out into the street and call people w***kers, they will call you it back. Yet despite seemingly doing the both thing, you are in the wrong, and they aren't. Exactly the same applies in this debate. You are the fanatic, I am the voice of reason. To be clear, I do not 'really really hate' Android. You DO 'really really hate' Apple, and that's your biggest failure.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]I find it quite amusing that in the first four iterations of the iPhone since other competitors had a better CPU/GPU combination, Apple fans argued that specs were irrelevant. Now for the first time Apple's iPhone has a GPU/CPU combination better than the competition, and promptly to Apple fans specs were relegated from being irrelevant to become of the utmost importance.The same view is also valid to Android (or any other OS/phone maker) fans. They ridiculed Apple for not having the best hardware, and now that they do specs in their mind suffered the same shift as above but in reverse.[/citation]

I actually completely agree with this. I've said it quite often how quickly the Android fans start saying 'specs dont matter' now that the iPhone has the fastest CPU/GPU, yet look at the post from fulle (which I will clean up later) - banging on about specifications again, completely oblivious to the fact he's proving our point.

I personally have never said that specs don't matter, the illogical retort of the current Android fanboy, but rather I have said that people reach false conclusions whilst comparing specifications. For example, a 900ghz A5 may be very much faster than a 1.2ghz Android processor, and thus they are not comparing performance, but numbers (a completely illogical metric). Furthermore, once again Fulle steps in to prove our point by openly admitting that he's completely disregarded any software comparisons - a failure of epic proportions given that the hardware is completely irrelevant without it. The iPhone has always had a better integrated software and hardware combination which requires less hardware to perform the same, or performs better on the same hardware. Therefore, the iPhone 4S right now, having the fastest specification of CPU/GPU combined with the most tightly integrated software which runs the most efficiently, simply performs miles better than any Android phone.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]Since watcha's begging to be flamed:The iPhone 4S released October 14th 2011, or about 8 months after the arrival of the first Android smartphones with dual core SOCs. On arrival it was the fastest phone on the market by a small margin, for roughly a month before faster android handsets released.... the highest end Android devices hold a small margin of victory currently, until quad core devices are released in February, at which point the performance difference should be enormously in favor of the best Android devices. And by the iPhone release cycle, we may see a repeat of the iPhone device being a clearly inferior choice (by hardware) for another 7-8 month period.Or are we going to be delusional enough to say something as absurd as "the iPhone 4 wasn't slower than Andorid devices with dual core cortex A9 SOCs! It was totally faster, and better because it has an Apple logo!"Please. It's pathetic.As far as tablets go.... The Transformer Prime is superior to the iPad 2 in most specifications. 1.4GHz Quad Core processor vs 1GHz Dual Core, 1GHz of RAM vs 512MB, SD Card support vs no SD card support, dock with keyboard and extra battery life vs no dock, higher resolution display, 8 MP camera vs .92 MP camera.... the only category Apple wins, is the GPU. Trying to say that the iPad 2 is still the best tablet is.... delusional.I'm talking about mostly hardware here. Since the software side of things is more of a religious debate on the forums for some reason.[/citation]

See above for why the iPhone 4S IS STILL the fastest CPU/GPU phone ever made. There is no 'small margin of victory' for Android phones at all, they haven't even progressed. Every phone released since the iPhone 4S is slower than the Samsung Galaxy S2 - which was already far slower than the iPhone 4S. I know this because I was looking forward to the Nexus coming out, considering buying it, but then it comes with an awful camera, and a GPU older than the old one found in the Galaxy S2. Please, get a clue - your statement is 100% blatantly incorrect.

Secondly, to disregard the software on the iPad 2 is, beyond ridiculous. The mass of apps which it has and quality of those apps compared to the Asus is reason alone to buy the device.

As for specifications, please:

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5163/42748.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5163/42749.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5163/42760.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5163/42761.png

And battery life:
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5163/42744.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5163/42745.png

See, when people such as yourself are so dumb to just look at the clock speeds and believe that any kind of conclusions can be reached, I cry a little for the sake of humanity.

Get a clue please thanks.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
And of course, to use your own stupid argument, the iPad 2 is over 9 months old and it's performance has STILL not been matched. The iPad 3 is rumoured to be out imminently.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Proportional to the number of mistakes you made.[/citation]
Oh really? So preferring a phone other than an iPhone is a mistake? You may just be the most rabid Apple fanboy on all of Tom's.

[citation]You didn't read it, yet you know you don't like it. Sounds like the kind of tech fan who doesn't have any interest in an Apple launch. Irrational, denial, bitter, fanboy.[/citation]
I read enough to see where it was going. Comments like your second sentence there are all I needed. You're basically saying that if you care about tech, you must be obsessed with Apple and follow its news religiously. You are the very definition of a fanboy. You cannot even comprehend that a person might not have your level of fandom, so you have categorized such opinions as simply wrong. You are very clearly the one behaving irrationally here. Of course, you won't believe me, that would require being able to objectively evaluate what it is you're doing and why. You clearly do not have the capacity to do that, as will be evidenced by yet another incredibly long-winded reply in which you attempt to show me the light and prove that I don't really want the features that I enjoy daily on my phone, like widgets and 4G.

[citation]Everything I stated is a fact or obviously simply an opinion.[/citation]
In other news, water is wet. Of course your statements are either fact or opinion. The problem is that you seem to frequently confuse opinion with fact, and declare the opinions of others to be categorically incorrect. I'm actually not so sure you even truly understand what the word opinion means, because you're trying very, very hard to prove an absolute truth of something that, by definition, is subjective.

[citation]You presented a series of arguments against Apple, which were incorrect.[/citation]
Oh really? My statements were incorrect?

[citation]Clearly, in educating you[/citation]
Oh please, you're educating me? You're one pretentious guy, you know that? You're just validating the stereotype of the condescending Apple fanboy who thinks they know everything about technology. But, in the sake of fairness, let's evaluate my arguments and your responses.

[citation]'Can you turn your 4S into a 4G hotspot with a single touch?'

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3574 (I am making an assumption that you want another device to be able to use the internet - the most useful case)[/citation]
Good one, literally changing my question. I asked if you could turn your phone into a 4G hotspot. Not if you could tether it. Come back when your iPhone pumps out a 25 megabit connection wirelessly, and for free. Because my phone can, and I can toggle it via widgets (yet another feature iOS lacks).

Score two points for Android.

[citation]'Can you replace the kernel with one more suited to your needs?'

Because the 'kernel' which comes with iPhones already works, doesn't contain so much bloatware and slow browsers like Android does, there is no need to change it. Every need I have is completely met by the iPhone, so I would absolutely not want to have the chore of replacing a kernel, and again by doing so void my warranty.[/citation]
Totally ignoring the point, and my central argument. I like chocolate, Apple serves vanilla. You clearly like vanilla, and that's fine, but your staunch refusal to believe anybody wants chocolate is delusional in the extreme. You have simply decided that everybody wants what you want, and this is not true. If it was, Android wouldn't be leading the smartphone market share by such a gigantic margin.

You can try as much as you like, but you cannot decide what everybody on the planet wants. Let them decide for themselves, and stop telling them they're wrong for making a different decision than you. You come off like a giant prick when you do that.

Being able to replace the kernel is about OPTIONS. The iPhone over the years has had some pretty massive omissions, like multitasking. Other times the implementations just plain suck, like notifications. Because the ecosystem (yes, I do know what the word means, you condescending cock) is totally locked down, you had to wait years for Apple to implement the feature. On Android, you can extend the OS in any way you want. Replace any feature you want. Do anything you want.

But freedom is bad and/or pointless, right Apple fanboy? Options are good. Not everyone wants what you want. Get it through your thick head that your opinion is not the universally held opinion.

[citation]'Can you modify the processor's voltage and frequency automatically to save battery life when you're not using it and crank up the speed when you are?'

You can enable and disable various features which can extend battery life, but since battery life is never an issue with a properly designed device (already fixed iPhone 4S issues aside), I never have a need to make my phone perform worse just to make it last longer.[/citation]
Again, ignoring the question. Enabling and disabling features isn't what I was asking if you could do. I wasn't asking if you could do something to extend the battery life, but reach all the way down to the hardware level and tweak voltage and frequency settings.

And if battery life is "never an issue," why don't you take an international flight and tell me you never run out of battery. Or forget to plug your phone in and need to use it heavily away from a charger the next day.

More battery life is always a good thing. This is just more Apple apologist crap that you don't need these features. Just like it didn't need multitasking before Apple added it, and specs weren't important until the iPhone took the performance crown briefly. I've heard it all before, and I'll hear it all again. Any feature the iPhone doesn't already have, you don't need. This is the very definition of denial.

Also tweaking voltage doesn't make the phone perform worse. If you actually had any experience with Android and what it could do, you'd know that. In addition, you can throttle the CPU frequency up and down to meet demands (also doesn't make the phone perform worse, because it's only at low frequencies when the power isn't needed). You know, like I said in the original question. Which you ignored.

Point, Android.

[citation]Yes, of course. Simply download Skyfire. I know that may not be the 5 hour exercise you seem to want to get any kind of usability out of your phone, but hey, it works.[/citation]
Nice, I get to pay for features my phone should have had to begin with! And nice ad hominem there. Installing flash is clearly a five hour exercise on Android. Oh wait, you just install it from the Market. And it's free. Just like that app that automatically adjusts your CPU to save battery life. But I guess things like this are just way too complicated for somebody like you and take several hours to complete. That or you're engaging in yet another ad hominem because your argument has no merit. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and go with the latter.

[citation]What saddens me most is that people like you speak about the 'ecosystem' which you dislike, but you really don't have a clue what it actually means. There is not a single useful thing which can't be done with an iPhone that you can do with a typical Android phone, it's only for people who have some kind of money issues or some need to try and find an alternative to the popular (common sense) purchase.[/citation]
Wow, way to lay on the "I'm better than you" extra thick there. Are you aware that high end Android phones, which sell very well by the way, cost the same as an iPhone? So there goes your idiotic and condescending money remark. Are you trying to adhere to the smug Apple fanboy stereotype, or does it just come naturally?

As much as you desperately need to believe and prove that the iPhone is the "common sense" choice, this is just not the case. You want what you want. That's fine by me. I want what I want, but apparently you take so great an offense to that that you will post pages and pages dripping with smug superiority on here trying to "educate" this poor, stupid little Android fanboy. This Android fanboy, by the way, has owned more Apple phones than Android phones, and used Apple phones much longer than Android phones. I simply found that I like Android better. Why is that so offensive to you?

As a recap, here are some things that Android does that iPhone can't off the top of my head, because you say there isn't anything.

1. Undervolt the CPU for better battery life without negatively impacting performance.

2. Underclock the CPU when not in use for better battery life without negatively impacting performance.

3. Replace the kernel to add or tweak features on the phone. Before you say this is pointless because the iPhone has no flaws, refer to this list for a list of things the iPhone can't do, many of which would be possible with simple software that Apple has disallowed.

4. 4G. HSPA+ doesn't count, 4G will run consistently in the 20-25 megabit range, HSPA+ is 14.4 theoretical max.

5. Free wireless tethering, baked into the OS, not reliant on carrier packages.

6. Free Flash in any browser you like.

7. Widgets.

8. Run whatever apps you like. I'm sure you'll try to spin this as a negative aspect, but I'll just laugh and keep on playing my SNES games on my phone that scales performance to demand automatically while you pretend this is yet another one of the features you don't really need.

And again, I'm done reading your post. The message is loud and clear. Your opinion is one of obvious ignorance and denial. There isn't anything an Android phone can do that iPhone can't? Don't make me laugh! But please, go on telling me how much better and smarter you are than me because of what fucking PHONE you prefer.

You are a walking, breathing stereotype. When confronted with a differing opinion, you immediately break out the smug condescension and ad hominem. Anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot. Anyone who wants something iPhone doesn't offer is an idiot. Anyone who doesn't follow Apple news religiously is an idiot. Your opinion is the only correct one, and it's so obviously correct that to have a different opinion is a mortal sin requiring immediate "education."

Get your head out of your ass. If the choices were so obvious as you claim, Android wouldn't be totally dominating iOS in market share. If that was a result of only bargain bin phones, then people wouldn't be getting excited about new flagship Android phones (and you conveniently ignore the fact that you can get older model iPhones just as cheap as you can most Android sets).

But you know what the funny thing in all this is? All this post is going to do is piss you off. You probably read this, seething with anger at how cocky this stupid little Android fanboy is (because of course, anybody who doesn't want an iPhone is an Android fanboy, facts be damned), and you're just going to fire off yet another smug, ignorance filled, hateful rant about how delusional and stupid I am for not sharing your OPINIONS.

So my honest attempt to explain to you a simple concept, that some people have different needs and desires as you, will serve only to cause you to come back proving yet again what a high and mighty, closed minded, intolerant prick you are.

So I'll save you the trouble. Everybody has an opinion, but apparently only yours is correct and anyone who disagrees just needs to be "educated." Did I sum it up well enough?

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Oh really? So preferring a phone other than an iPhone is a mistake? You may just be the most rabid Apple fanboy on all of Tom's. ?[/citation]
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Your opinion is not what was being disproved?[/citation]
Failure-to-read.com
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Holy crap, that provoked one hell of a response. [/citation]
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]….. ridiculously long wall of text…. [/citation]
Ironic.com?
Excellent use of citations, my intelligent friend :)
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]You're basically saying that if you care about tech, you must be obsessed with Apple and follow its news religiously. You are the very definition of a fanboy. [/citation]
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]I even clearly stated that preferring another phone or device is irrelevant, since if you were intelligent enough to take the context of this conversation into account, you would realise that all I am arguing is that true tech heads 'take an interest' in Apple products. [/citation]
Failure-to-grasp-simple-logic.org
(Learn the difference between ‘taking an interest’ and ‘obsessed with… follow..religiously’)
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]You cannot even comprehend that a person might not have your level of fandom, so you have categorized such opinions as simply wrong. [/citation]
Again, your opinion was not being disproved (maybe repetition will enable you to understand). What was being disputed were the factual claims you made, and now the illogical conclusions you reach.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]You are very clearly the one behaving irrationally here[/citation]
Because…. I have a different opinion to you? Cue massive wall of text? It’s not irrational to have a logical, intelligent brain capable of understanding basic logic. You do, of course, need intelligence to recognise intelligence. That’s probably the issue here.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]will be evidenced by yet another incredibly long-winded reply in which you attempt to show me the light and prove that I don't really want the features that I enjoy daily on my phone, like widgets and 4G.[/citation]
Yes if I indeed wrote a long, educational post I would indeed be proving that only ‘losers’ write long posts /end sarcasm. You enjoy ‘widgets’ LOL! Let’s be clear, this isn’t about what you enjoy (notice the common theme here) – the point is you claimed things which simply aren’t true. As for 4G, I wonder how you’re enjoying that, do you have a 4G party? More on that later.

[citation][nom]willard[/nom]The problem is that you seem to frequently confuse opinion with fact, and declare the opinions of others to be categorically incorrect[/citation]
Lets try to remember, your opinion, as you already openly admitted is biased, is completely irrelevant, to pretty much everyone. Again, and maybe you need to make a note of this or something?... what was being disputed was your factual claims.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Oh really? My statements were incorrect? [/citation]
I wonder why you need to ask this after I already went through the claims and enlightened you?
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Oh please, you're educating me? You're one pretentious guy, you know that? You're just validating the stereotype of the condescending Apple fanboy who thinks they know everything about technology. [/citation]
LOL, I love the anger here. I’m being condescending because you’re confused. For example, you were already informed that I’m not anti-Android or pro-Apple, but failed to grasp it. You, on the other hand, openly admit to being an anti-apple fanboy, and then use fanboyism as an insult? Bless.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Good one, literally changing my question. I asked if you could turn your phone into a 4G hotspot. Not if you could tether it. Come back when your iPhone pumps out a 25 megabit connection wirelessly, and for free[/citation]
And you use this for….. that’s right, tethering. See, you’re changing the technology, but not the use, and that’s the failing. As for ‘toggling it via widgets’ – do you have any idea how pathetic that sounds? If I tether using my phone, I too have magical ‘switches’ and ‘buttons’ to control it with.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Apple serves vanilla. You clearly like vanilla, and that's fine, but your staunch refusal to believe anybody wants chocolate is delusional in the extreme. You have simply decided that everybody wants what you want, and this is not true. [/citation]
Again, actually, your failure to grasp basic logic surfaces. See, you confuse an operating system with the end goal. That is the failing of people who have no real life. The operating system is there to ENABLE you to order whichever ice-cream you want. You wouldn’t buy one tub of icecream so that you could work on it for 5 hours and void your warranty and change the flavour to another one. That isn’t a selling point, it’s simply illustrating how bad the default one is. And what’s more, changing the ‘kernel’ on a phone is not a practical benefit, or use, at all. It doesn’t allow you to achieve anything, it is a goal purely created by the concept of the smartphone, not something which can be made easier or accomplished by a smartphone.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]If it was, Android wouldn't be leading the smartphone market share by such a gigantic margin.You can try as much as you like, but you cannot decide what everybody on the planet wants[/citation]
Actually, the opinion polls show that iOS is much, much preferred by its users than Android. The only reason Android is used in more phones is because a) They have to be cheaper because otherwise people would buy iPhones, b) It’s free (due to the number of copyrights and patents it breaches) and c) It is used by 10x the manufacturers of the iOS system, yet sells nowhere near 10x as much. Lets just reemphasise that many people using Android DISLIKE it, far more than iOS. And that’s despite the ‘feature’ of being able to spend 5 hours trying to get it to something good, after the 10 hours removing all the bloatware.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Let them decide for themselves, and stop telling them they're wrong for making a different decision than you. [/citation]
I wonder if I should send this to you on a postcard, it may finally sink in that way? Your OPINION is irrelevant, and NOT BEING DEBATED HERE. The FACTS are. Furthermore, if you had read my post you would realise that I specifically said that people can prefer other phones, my modest (and obvious claim to anyone with a brain) is that people who are ‘tech junkies’ would take an interest in Apple products. That’s just a simple, obvious reality. Yet you say I look like a ‘prick’ for pointing that out? Loving the anger again though, by the way, bit ironic :)
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]iPhone over the years has had some pretty massive omissions, like multitasking[/citation]
You can multitask on the iphone. Lets be clear that when we talk, now, we are talking about now. That is, now, you know, not ‘over the years’ or ‘over the rainbow’ like most Android fans end up resorting to.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Other times the implementations just plain suck, like notifications. [/citation]
You mean the notification system that has been accused of being a copy of Androids?
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Because the ecosystem (yes, I do know what the word means, you condescending cock)[/citation]
I think this is my favourite sentence in your entire tearful rant!! Love it.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]…. is totally locked down, you had to wait years for Apple to implement the feature. On Android, you can extend the OS in any way you want. Replace any feature you want. Do anything you want.But freedom is bad and/or pointless, right Apple fanboy? [/citation]
Right, so, lets get this straight. The source code to Android 3 was never even released. But, because it was ‘open’ , you, a mainstream user, popped open the source code, corrected all the Android failings over the course of 3-4 weeks, rooted your phone with the new hardware, in so doing voiding your warranty, and then ended up using an operating system which has not been properly tested in any way and may have introduced new security flaws? Putting aside the physical impossibility due to the ‘open’ source code never being released, do you not realise how pathetic that is? Hell, if the system is so ‘open’, why do phones less than 2 years old not even get the ICS system, even BRAND NEW phones.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Options are good. [/citation]
… if they enable you to achieve something practical that you couldn’t underwise..
[citation][nom]willard[/nom] Not everyone wants what you want. Get it through your thick head that your opinion is not the universally held opinion. [/citation]
LOL @ ‘thick head’ – that’s my 2nd favourite insult in your entire rant. I’ll mention the opinion thing again in case it hasn’t quite sunk it – your OPINION is not relevant, and was never disputed. You’re free to make whatever idiotic choices or have any illogical preferences you want, I don’t care about you. What I cleared up in your mound of drivel was the actual reality of the situation for EVERYONE, not you.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom] Again, ignoring the question. Enabling and disabling features isn't what I was asking if you could do. I wasn't asking if you could do something to extend the battery life, but reach all the way down to the hardware level and tweak voltage and frequency settings.And if battery life is "never an issue," why don't you take an international flight and tell me you never run out of battery. Or forget to plug your phone in and need to use it heavily away from a charger the next day.More battery life is always a good thing. [/citation]
Well lets be very clear, when you are ‘tweaking the voltage’ you are in fact disabling a feature – that feature being good performance. My iPhone can happily last through 20 international flights if I so chose, and if you need to use a phone ‘heavily’ when it’s low on battery, slowing it down isn’t going to help matters. In fact, with the time to idle argument you will actually consume more battery accomplishing the same things. Furthermore, using your example, the example I gave of disabling features is a perfectly reasonable and successful solution. As I said though, since the iPhone doesn’t drain battery to the epic extent that Android does, it’s not something which has ever been an issue for me.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]This is just more Apple apologist crap that you don't need these features. Just like it didn't need multitasking before Apple added it[/citation]
Sorry, who said anything about ‘before’? I didn’t? Bottom line, you can multitask on the iPhone. Are you going to hold it against TV companies that ‘before’ they were black and white, and therefore manufacturers who never built in black and white are better? Please, get with the times.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom] and specs weren't important until the iPhone took the performance crown briefly. [/citation]
Briefly? Replace that word with ‘presently’ or ‘currently’ (English lesson for you). And see above reply to Vladislaus for comprehensive rebuttal to that accusation. To dumb it down for you, I’ve never said specs weren’t important (firstly) – so to imply that I did is just illogical. Secondly, when specs ARE compared the performance of those specs should be the relevant factor, not the numerical value. The iPhone historically has always felt and run applications faster than Android, even when the Mhz is higher on the Android., because it utilises memory and processor in a far more efficient way – one of the many benefits of using a ‘closed’ system.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]I've heard it all before, and I'll hear it all again. Any feature the iPhone doesn't already have, you don't need. This is the very definition of denial. [/citation]
Is that so? So, are you ‘denying’ the possibility that I, and the majority of users, actually DON’T need the feature? Or is that not possible?
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Also tweaking voltage doesn't make the phone perform worse. If you actually had any experience with Android and what it could do, you'd know that. [/citation]

You’re absolutely right. I forgot about the magical voltage reduction which saves energy and prolongs battery life with no adverse consequences. I want a magic switch like that on my iPhone on which I never have battery life issues, please!!! :) lol

[citation][nom]willard[/nom]In addition, you can throttle the CPU frequency up and down to meet demands (also doesn't make the phone perform worse, because it's only at low frequencies when the power isn't needed). . [/citation]
Well if you’re really going to talk about it in terms of only using less power when the power isn’t needed, then the iPhone (and most processors) already have that built in. Look up ‘race to idle’ – see, a true techy wouldn’t have to look that up. They would certainly know that part of the reason energy efficiency is improving in general is largely due to race to idle, and that CPU’s automatically throttle the voltage when less power is required. It would make no sense whatsoever to make this a manual, cumbersome option, of course. Any ‘app’ which does this, can only exploit any inefficiency if there are flaws in the Android system. Particularly, as the processor can tweak itself thousands of times per second in line with the demand.

[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Nice, I get to pay for features my phone should have had to begin with! And nice ad hominem there. Installing flash is clearly a five hour exercise on Android. Oh wait, you just install it from the Market. And it's free. Just like that app that automatically adjusts your CPU to save battery life. But I guess things like this are just way too complicated for somebody like you and take several hours to complete. [/citation]
When I stated 5 hours, I meant a conservative estimate of the time spent rooting your phone with a new ‘kernal’ before you can even think about installing flash. As for crying about $2 for an App, maybe that’s really the issue with you, money that tight?
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Are you aware that high end Android phones, which sell very well by the way, cost the same as an iPhone? [/citation]
Are you aware that none of those ‘high end Android phones’ which ‘cost the same as an iPhone’ (which you will need to evidence by the way, since that would make even more mockery of the claims of being overpriced which fly around here from idiots like yourself every day), sell as much as the iPhone, and that the majority of Android users are on cheaper handsets with lower specifications?
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]This Android fanboy, by the way, has owned more Apple phones than Android phones, and used Apple phones much longer than Android phones. I simply found that I like Android better. Why is that so offensive to you? [/citation]
Why not repeat it again, hey, since the first 50 times escapes you? I don’t care which system you like. What I do care about is you justifying it claiming facts which are simply untrue. You can prefer dressing in skirts and wearing a bra all you like, but just don’t tell me it’s because the Bra covers up more of your body than a t-shirt. Do you get it now? Was that simple enough an analogy?
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Undervolt the CPU for better battery life without negatively impacting performance. Underclock the CPU when not in use for better battery life without negatively impacting performance [/citation]
This is inbuilt and automated in any properly designed phone, including the iPhone 4S. There is absolutely a performance impact, and if there wasn’t, why would you ever turn it off?
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]3. Replace the kernel to add or tweak features on the phone. Before you say this is pointless because the iPhone has no flaws, refer to this list for a list of things the iPhone can't do, many of which would be possible with simple software that Apple has disallowed.[/citation]
I still think you just don’t get this. You don’t buy something like a smartphone, with an end goal of being able to waste time ‘doing’ the smartphone. You buy it to achieve things, like making phone calls, sending emails, using remote desktop, wirelessly streaming to your TV, being able to see high resolution images at a high DPI. You don’t buy a device so that you can switch the ‘kernel’ on said device. That’s not a practical use, that’s an inconvenience and only relevant if the device is unsatisfactory to begin with. Furthermore, it does not result in any of the ‘features’ you say the iPhone lacks, and it voids the warranty
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]4G. HSPA+ doesn't count, 4G will run consistently in the 20-25 megabit range, HSPA+ is 14.4 theoretical max. [/citation]
First of all, your ignorance surfaces. The majority of the world doesn’t have 4G connectivity, and where it exists, it is often sketchy, with the THEORETICAL maximums never being reached. That alone makes this point completely, absolutely irrelevant to more people than not. Secondly, when you’re not using Wifi, you’re using your mobile data plan. Even unlimited plans in most countries are capped at reasonable levels such as 500 or 1,000mb per month. If you’re downloading at 25 megabits per second, that 1000mb will last you a little over 5 minutes. And what is there that you can actually do, that you would ordinarily do, out and about and away from wifi, where you would actually notice the difference? Going from 14.4 megabits to 20-25 megabits is only something you would notice when carrying out prolonged downloads, which I have already explained can’t be done using mobile plans in the vast majority of countries. Secondly, many other countries DO support the 14.4 Mbps HSDPA, which means that they can actually achieve better speeds using the iPhone 4S than they can with a 4G phone. Finally, there is actually less of a distinction than you are aware of, I will quote you an excerpt from Anandtech:
[citation][nom]Anandtech – Brian Klug[/nom]So the next question is when HSPA+ is and isn't real 4G, and obviously the bar right now is LTE. We've gone over all the real ITU decisions and such in our LTE piece, (whose definition does include DC-HSPA+ and LTE instead of previously just LTE Advanced) but what matters is actual throughput. There's credibility to HSPA+ being comparable to LTE speed as soon as DC-HSPA comes around which aggregates together two 5 MHz WCDMA channels. With all the same features (MIMO, 64QAM, and wider channel bandwidth), DC-HSPA+ gets you approximately to the level of theoretical maximum throughput you can get on LTE. It's easy to see how things are arguably fairly comparable when you consider Verizon uses 10 MHz FDD, and DC-HSPA+ aggregates together two 5 MHz WCDMA channels. Throw in MIMO in addition to just dual-carrier, and maximum theoretical throughput lines up pretty closely as shown in this table by Qualcomm: [/citation]

[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Free wireless tethering, baked into the OS, not reliant on carrier packages.[/citation]
This is simply incorrect. Regardless of your handset, you are breaching your contract terms if you tether without the OS providing it as part of the package. It is NOT free and carries ARE clamping down on it, devising methods to detect tethering. Continue to do so in breach of your contract if you want, but don’t come crying to me when you get a fine. Furthermore, if you were criminal and immoral in that respect you are free to jailbreak your iPhone, then you can install all the ‘Widgets’ (ROFL) that you like and breach your contract by tethering without a plan.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom] Free Flash in any browser you like[/citation]
Yes, I will concede you have to shell out the massive $2 extra to get flash. Cheaper than buying the mandatory second battery for Android, though. I guess I could do some ‘work’ in that 5 hours while you’re installing a new ‘kernel’ and earn that $2! LOL. I guess some of us value our time more than that.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom] Widgets.[/citation]
I can’t even take this one seriously. Hey guys, I’m buying a phone? Why? Because I want a phone with WIDGETS! Lol!!!!!!! Widgets which let you do… what? That you can’t on an iPhone? Nothing. See post above for workaround for people (like yourselves) who quite happily void their warranty.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom] Run whatever apps you like. I'm sure you'll try to spin this as a negative aspect, but I'll just laugh and keep on playing my SNES games on my phone that scales performance to demand automatically while you pretend this is yet another one of the features you don't really need. .[/citation]
I’m glad that you realise that there is an obvious and evidence-by-reality massive security flaw, in allowing this, right? You can download a SNES emulator for the iPhone too, if you want. Again, a really big mass-market you’re appealing to there.
Did you address any of mine? The fastest CPU/GPU, meaning the best overall, gaming, and just about anything experience? One of the best cameras? Wirelessly stream picture to TV? iCloud? Siri? Secure App Store (and biggest App store)? Excellent screen DPI? Not a brick? (Like most Androids) Better battery life (and no need to download apps to try and correct it)? Better customer satisfaction ratings (ie it comes with software you actually like using)? No Bloatware? No ‘false’ claims of being open when in fact the source code is never released? Sky Sports app? (simply can’t do this in Android)? Arguably better build quality? Support for ALL devices for AT LEAST 2 years? (poor Android fans)… see all of these things actually MATTER, and that’s the point. They actually serve a purpose, or provide a benefit. When you reply with ‘Widgets’ – you quite frankly just look ridiculous. The fact remains, there isn't anything an Android phone can do that iPhone can't. Not one.

[citation][nom]willard[/nom] You are a walking, breathing stereotype. When confronted with a differing opinion, you immediately break out the smug condescension and ad hominem. Anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot. Anyone who wants something iPhone doesn't offer is an idiot. Anyone who doesn't follow Apple news religiously is an idiot. Your opinion is the only correct one, and it's so obviously correct that to have a different opinion is a mortal sin requiring immediate "education." .[/citation]
The only time my ‘opinion’ is the ‘correct one’ is when dealing with facts. As I provided for, in the Bra example above. Please read that and try to grasp it. You made a series of false, factual claims, and I corrected all of them. I don’t care what your opinion is. The justification for said opinion is what is incorrect. You’re an idiot because of THAT, not because you choose one phone over another. I, on the other hand, by a phone based on logical, pragmatic reasons, which are actually true. I don’t try to convince myself a load of lies (which you clearly do, as I have just proven) to justify choosing a phone because I ‘really really hate’ a company – which by the way, is pretty much the definition of irrational.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Get your head out of your ass. If the choices were so obvious as you claim, Android wouldn't be totally dominating iOS in market share. If that was a result of only bargain bin phones, then people wouldn't be getting excited about new flagship Android phones (and you conveniently ignore the fact that you can get older model iPhones just as cheap as you can most Android sets). .[/citation]
LOL I think someone poked the angry little Android boy :)
If you want to argue that iPhone is as good value as Android, then you spit in the face of the majority of Android fans. Ironically, being more expensive is something I would freely concede, since anyone with any knowledge whatsoever knows that iPhones of equivalent eras cost more. That is, combined with the 10x manufacturers, the reason they sell more – they are simply cheaper. No one handset outsells the iPhone, and the customer satisfaction ratings are awful in comparison.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]But you know what the funny thing in all this is? All this post is going to do is piss you off. You probably read this, seething with anger at how cocky this stupid little Android fanboy is .[/citation]
This is quite funny. I wonder, if someone was looking over my comments, and the comments of yours which I quoted, who is being perfectly reasonable, balanced, logical and calm, and who is swearing, shouting around angrily, you know, generally throwing his barbies out of the pram?
[citation][nom]willard[/nom] (because of course, anybody who doesn't want an iPhone is an Android fanboy, facts be damned), and you're just going to fire off yet another smug, ignorance filled, hateful rant about how delusional and stupid I am for not sharing your OPINIONS.[/citation]
Final time, just for good luck. Your OPINIONS are not relevant. Your JUSTIFICATIONS which masquerade as being facts are where you illustrate your stupidity, and your claims of ‘really, really hating Apple’ are what makes you a fan boy. Perfectly obvious, perfectly clear. For example, your claim that you ‘cant use Flash on an iPhone’ was duly disproved. Stupid comment, logical counter. You rant on and on about having a different opinion but I don’t discuss opinions. Some people still believe that the earth is flat. Some people still believe that ‘widgets’ are reasons to buy a phone. Opinions can be stupid, and they are subjective, and can’t be objected to. Further evidence of your stupidity is that you didn’t realise I wasn’t attacking your opinion, but the REASONS for that opinion which were simply not true. As I already stated, I’m not anti-Android, and I’m not pro-Apple, I write this from a Windows PC, and I was looking forward (only to be disappointed) by the launch of the Nexus Prime – with a view to buying it. I’m just logical, honest and open. The only reason you are interpreting that as fanboyism is because you have an extreme anti-apple dislike which screams of insecurity. You say you’ve owned Apple products yet you also say you ‘really, really hate Apple’ which is completely ridiculous, and contradictory. You say you simply ‘prefer Android’ yet this wouldn’t give you anywhere near the level of child-like anger you’ve exhibited here. And what’s even worse, is after all this, you still don’t grasp the original premise, the point from which you’ve digressed so far you don’t even remember – the whole point is that you don’t even HAVE TO prefer the iPhone, to take an interest in it. The point is simply that any ‘tech junkie’, someone invested and interested in technology, DOES take an interest in what the largest technology company in the world is doing. Are you really disputing that? Or just screaming abuse at someone who proves your justifications for hating Apple?
Bless.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Failure-to-read.comIronic.com?Excellent use of citations, my intelligent friend :)[/citation]
Excellent use of ad hominem, yet again, my delusional friend. Misuse of tags is clearly a sign of unintelligence.

Failure-to-grasp-simple-logic.org(Learn the difference between ‘taking an interest’ and ‘obsessed with… follow..religiously’)
Claim whatever you want, we all know the real meaning is in the subtext. Your excessively long winded replies clearly show your beliefs. Stating otherwise isn't going to convince anybody.

Again, your opinion was not being disproved (maybe repetition will enable you to understand). What was being disputed were the factual claims you made, and now the illogical conclusions you reach.
You didn't dispute any of them. See the part of my post where I covered that. You went on to claim a number of highly pretentious things, like the only reason not to buy an iPhone was that you're broke or hate Apple, paraphrasing of course.

Oh, and what illogical conclusions? The conclusion that I prefer Android is illogical? Because that's all I've been saying, that I have a preference that is not yours. I'm not saying one platform is better than any other. I said I personally prefer one over the other, and you flip out with a couple walls of text trying to "educate" me.

Because…. I have a different opinion to you?
Oh the irony! You've basically been arguing this entire time that my opinion is wrong, I'm simply stating that I have an opinion. So apparently your opinion is that I'm not allowed to have an opinion?

Cue massive wall of text?
Irony meter just exploded. Go check your walls of text posted long before mine. You've probably typed close to five times as much as I have. But please, go on and call me out for a single long winded post when you're on your third. It's quite funny.

It’s not irrational to have a logical, intelligent brain capable of understanding basic logic. You do, of course, need intelligence to recognise intelligence. That’s probably the issue here.
And cue more of your vapid "I'm better than you" rhetoric. You really are determined to live out every single Apple fanboy stereotype, aren't you?

Yes if I indeed wrote a long, educational post I would indeed be proving that only ‘losers’ write long posts /end sarcasm.
Irrelevant and dodging the question.

You enjoy ‘widgets’ LOL! Let’s be clear, this isn’t about what you enjoy (notice the common theme here) – the point is you claimed things which simply aren’t true.
Yet more ad hominem. Shout as loud as you want about what your argument really is about, when you say shit like the only reason to buy and Android phone is because you can't afford an iPhone, your real views are patently obvious. Might want to check how many times you've been rated down and me rated up. Nobody is buying your crap.

Lets try to remember, your opinion, as you already openly admitted is biased, is completely irrelevant, to pretty much everyone.
Totally missing my point for the thousandth time. I'm not saying my opinion is relevant to anyone. I'm saying it's relevant to me, and your need to berate me, or anyone, until I see the light of the iPhone is asinine. I like Android. You like iOS. End of story, or it would have been if you didn't feel the need to attack anyone who says they prefer something other than your precious.

Again, and maybe you need to make a note of this or something?... what was being disputed was your factual claims.
Really? That's all you were doing? Let's go check.

Actually, I care about hundreds of things, don't pretend to know why I bought my phone. The difference is, all of mine are practical.
That's you implying that my reasons for preferring Android are invalid, and by extension an implication that my opinion is wrong. Strike one.

Because the 'kernel' which comes with iPhones already works, doesn't contain so much bloatware and slow browsers like Android does, there is no need to change it. Every need I have is completely met by the iPhone
That's you saying that your needs are universal and nobody want something you don't (like swapping the kernel). And again by extension, that my desire to have that level of control is unnecessary and that any opinion based on that desire is again wrong. Strike two.

You may as well just buy a Nokia 8210 if you're going to dial down the power to an unusable level.
Marginalizing a feature not available by using a straw man argument. I never said to dial down the power to an unusable level. In fact, I've been very clear about what I said, but you have misrepresented what I said at literally every opportunity. Strike three.

There is not a single useful thing which can't be done with an iPhone that you can do with a typical Android phone
Stating that the features missing from iPhone are not useful, and again by extension, the desire for those features irrelevant...you get the gist. You've done this dance enough. Strike four.

Being 'closed' is a nonsense since the source code to the previous version of Android was never released. And by the way, the reason it is 'open source' is purely because it infringes on so many copyrights, hardly commendable.
Irrelevant and ad hominem to boot. That you think being open source protects you from copyright infringement is cute. Strike five.

it's only for people who have some kind of money issues or some need to try and find an alternative to the popular (common sense) purchase. Or, for people who are so insecure they define themselves on being 'techy' and mistake ease-of-use with lack of capability.
Yeah, that's totally not dripping with smug superiority. This is basically flat out stating that picking an Android handset is wrong. It's either because you're broke, have no common sense or are insecure.

I think I've pretty well established that you're waging a personal campaign against Android and have stated on numerous occasions that the only logical preference is for iPhone, and thus differing opinions are incorrect. You don't really want me to continue, do you? I've not even made it through half your post.

I wonder why you need to ask this after I already went through the claims and enlightened you?
Man, you never miss an opportunity to bask in your own superiority, do you? Enlightened me? Man that's pretentious. You are every negative Apple fanboy stereotype made flesh.

LOL, I love the anger here.
Anger? I'm just pointing out how much of a tool you are. I fail to see where you're getting a sense of anger. Calling you a pretentious bastard is a statement of fact, and despite what you've decided, I'm not remotely angry. I actually very much enjoy delusional fanboys like yourself. Unending fun on forums, because you just keep digging yourself into bigger holes. See your constant assertions of how brilliant and better than me you are for an example. I could honestly care less what you think of yourself or me, all I care is that people will be able to read this and laugh at what a fool you've made of yourself. In it for the lulz, as some would say.

I’m being condescending because you’re confused.
Oh man, this is just gold. You just stated that you think it's okay to be a smug asshole as long as you're right. Isn't it kind of the calling card of smug assholes to always think they're right, and thus you've rationalized always acting like a smug asshole?

For example, you were already informed that I’m not anti-Android or pro-Apple, but failed to grasp it.
Ahh yes, because you deny it then it must not be true! You can't shout this down, your true feelings are patently obvious.

You, on the other hand, openly admit to being an anti-apple fanboy, and then use fanboyism as an insult?
Anti-apple fanboy? Methinks you're not quite right on the definition of a fanboy. Fanboys have an irrational love for something. Stating that I hate Apple (a company, not any of their products) does not make me an Android fanboy. I actually like the iPhone a lot, as evidenced by my buying two of them. I just like Android more. I'm not a fanboy of anything, I just think Apple has some seriously sleazy business practices, like trying to criminalize their users for modifying devices that they own and resorting to patent trolling when Android overtook them in market share.

The products are great, the company is not.

Bless.And you use this for….. that’s right, tethering. See, you’re changing the technology, but not the use, and that’s the failing.
And you're again missing the whole point. I didn't say the iPhone couldn't tether. I'm saying that its connection quality is strictly inferior. Can your device tether to internet that's faster than most home internet? No, it can't. That's the point. But feel free to keep harping on the same point and ignore what I've said for the third time. It will be sure to work next time.

As for ‘toggling it via widgets’ – do you have any idea how pathetic that sounds? If I tether using my phone, I too have magical ‘switches’ and ‘buttons’ to control it with.
Widgets were just thrown in as yet another feature iOS lacks. That you think this is the crux of my argument is what's truly pathetic. But feel free to make another few hundred straw man arguments.

Again, actually, your failure to grasp basic logic surfaces. See, you confuse an operating system with the end goal. That is the failing of people who have no real life.
What, you're resorting to an ad hominem? Why, I didn't expect this at all! Oh, wait, that's been the crux of your posts from the beginning. Snore.

The operating system is there to ENABLE you to order whichever ice-cream you want. You wouldn’t buy one tub of icecream so that you could work on it for 5 hours and void your warranty and change the flavour to another one.
That might be the worst analogy I've ever heard. And yet another straw man to boot. And I'm beginning to seriously doubt your claims of intelligence if it takes you five hours to root an Android device. Took me about fifteen minutes.

From here on out, I'm not even going to bother explaining why your straw man arguments are invalid. It's getting tiring, because it's literally all you're doing.

That isn’t a selling point, it’s simply illustrating how bad the default one is.
Straw man and ad hominem. The desire for choice is not an indication that the default is inferior.

And what’s more, changing the ‘kernel’ on a phone is not a practical benefit, or use, at all. It doesn’t allow you to achieve anything, it is a goal purely created by the concept of the smartphone, not something which can be made easier or accomplished by a smartphone.
Irrelevant. Everything you do the phone doesn't have to be the end goal of having the phone. This is like saying you shouldn't download apps because you only want to use apps, not download them. A means to an end.

Actually, the opinion polls show that iOS is much, much preferred by its users than Android.
Because the average user wants a very simple experience. I don't mind a few hoops to jump through to get more freedom with my phone. But apparently it's a totally irrational desire and I'm flat out wrong for it. I'm not saying everyone should get an Android phone or that Android is better. I'm simply saying that I like Android. Your straw mans are getting out of hand.

The only reason Android is used in more phones is because a) They have to be cheaper because otherwise people would buy iPhones
Ahh, it had been a few sentences since you'd added a layer of your personal brand of Better Than You (tm). Out of curiosity, how do you explain the flagship Android phones being successful?

b) It’s free (due to the number of copyrights and patents it breaches)
Lol. This again. Open source doesn't mean you get to infringe on copyrights. Might want to get a clue before you say something this stupid again, because this is the second time you've said it. Absolutely hilarious.

It is used by 10x the manufacturers of the iOS system, yet sells nowhere near 10x as much.
Irrelevant. If the iPhone were such a clear and obvious choice, it should be dominating the market no matter how many people make shitty inferior phones. This isn't random selection, people are free to choose the iPhone if there is one competing Android phone or fifty.

Lets just reemphasise that many people using Android DISLIKE it, far more than iOS.
And this is where you appear to be totally abandoning the pretense that you're just "educating" or "enlightening" me about my misconceptions about the iPhone and are just ranting about how terrible Android is. My point remains this, and only this. I prefer Android.

Your OPINION is irrelevant, and NOT BEING DEBATED HERE. The FACTS are. Furthermore, if you had read my post you would realise that I specifically said that people can prefer other phones, my modest (and obvious claim to anyone with a brain) is that people who are ‘tech junkies’ would take an interest in Apple products.
Speaking out of both sides of your mouth. You state that anyone can prefer Android, then moments later rant for paragraph after paragraph about how that preference is wrong. You can call your ass an ice cream truck all you want, but at the end of the day it still stinks.

You can multitask on the iphone.
Never said you couldn't.

Lets be clear that when we talk, now, we are talking about now. That is, now, you know, not ‘over the years’ or ‘over the rainbow’ like most Android fans end up resorting to.
And I'm just pointing out past examples of things that the freedom Android offers is useful for. I in no way attempted to represent this as a current limitation of the device. So yeah, strawman #2,981.

You mean the notification system that has been accused of being a copy of Androids?I
No, the one the old one. strawman #2,982. This is getting tedious.

Right, so, lets get this straight. The source code to Android 3 was never even released. But, because it was ‘open’ , you, a mainstream user, popped open the source code, corrected all the Android failings over the course of 3-4 weeks, rooted your phone with the new hardware, in so doing voiding your warranty, and then ended up using an operating system which has not been properly tested in any way and may have introduced new security flaws? Putting aside the physical impossibility due to the ‘open’ source code never being released, do you not realise how pathetic that is?
Huh? Now you're literally just making things up. Never said I did any of that, but guess what. Other people have. That's kind of why there are dozens of custom ROMs out there. You know, because people took the source code, modified it, and produced something new. I think I'm done. Also, nice job calling the AOSP community pathetic. Instead of doing something worthwhile, they should clearly be spending all their time ranting about how terrible Android is and how anyone who uses it is stupid. Yes sir, they sure are pathetic for keeping to themselves and enjoying their hobby. Pathetic as pathetic gets.

You sure are so much better than all those people. So much better in fact that I bet you list "I'm better than you" on your resume, rather than "Contributed to the AOSP project and created a custom ROM," because that's so much more impressive to prospective employers. Yes sir, you win at life. Those pathetic geeks should just go kill themselves now, right?

Skipping along because holy shit your post is long (and you called me out for writing a wall of text? Lol.)

First of all, your ignorance surfaces. The majority of the world doesn’t have 4G connectivity
Irrelevant. I do have 4G service, and I've only ever been talking about the phone I prefer. Next irrelevant argument?

and where it exists, it is often sketchy
Not in my area. I've only failed to get a 4G signal a few times over the last year. Next?

with the THEORETICAL maximums never being reached.
Irrelevant. The numbers I gave you are my real world performance numbers. Which are 50-100% higher than the theoretical maximum that the 4S can achieve. Next?

That alone makes this point completely, absolutely irrelevant to more people than not.
Misrepresenting my argument again. How many times do I have to tell you that all I'm saying is I prefer Android? I'm not speaking for anybody else, like you are trying to.

Secondly, when you’re not using Wifi, you’re using your mobile data plan. Even unlimited plans in most countries are capped at reasonable levels such as 500 or 1,000mb per month.
Irrelevant yet again. I'm on unlimited, no cap. I don't care that somebody else on some other carrier in some other country might not get as good a use of it as me. I'm only speaking for me.

If you’re downloading at 25 megabits per second, that 1000mb will last you a little over 5 minutes.
Irrelevant, moving on.

And what is there that you can actually do, that you would ordinarily do, out and about and away from wifi, where you would actually notice the difference?
Downloading large apps, tethering your laptop and downloading large files. I actually downloaded the Windows 8 developer preview through my phone's internet while I was sitting in an airport. The extra speed is very, very noticeable.

Going from 14.4 megabits to 20-25 megabits is only something you would notice when carrying out prolonged downloads, which I have already explained can’t be done using mobile plans in the vast majority of countries.
And I've already explained this is not my situation. Moving on.

Secondly, many other countries DO support the 14.4 Mbps HSDPA, which means that they can actually achieve better speeds using the iPhone 4S than they can with a 4G phone.
Irrelevant for a number of reasons that I've already mentioned.

Finally, there is actually less of a distinction than you are aware of, I will quote you an excerpt from Anandtech:
You are aware that the iPhone 4S isn't a DC-HSPA+ device, right? That will require a different antenna. Also, I'd like to point out when you said:

Lets be clear that when we talk, now, we are talking about now.
I guess we were only talking about now until it was convenient for you to call up future enhancements to the network to try to diminish the advantage of LTE.

And with that, I'm done. I've seen enough of your straw man ridden ad hominem attacks to understand what's coming next. I'm pathetic, I'm stupid for not preferring iPhone, etc. etc..

My eyes are about to start bleeding from the sheer quantity of stupid you've vomited all over this thread, and if you don't mind, I'm going to go play with my phone. Maybe take advantage of that LTE radio and try out a new custom ROM. Probably won't take five hours to do it, though. I prefer to just select it from a list on my phone, download it over my 20+ megabit connection and be up and running inside of 5 minutes while I watch TV. But I guess I'm not doing it right since it didn't take five hours.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Excellent use of ad hominem, yet again, my delusional friend. Misuse of tags is clearly a sign of unintelligence. [/citation]
For all future references of ‘ad hominem’ – I say you bring it on yourself. Misuse of tags IS clearly a sign of unintelligence. And clearly arguments from less intelligent people hold less water. More relevantly, your factually incorrect claims such as not being able to use flash on the iPhone, have simply been disproved, which makes you look stupid.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Claim whatever you want, we all know the real meaning is in the subtext. Your excessively long winded replies clearly show your beliefs. Stating otherwise isn't going to convince anybody. . [/citation]
This is your defence for confusing ‘take an interest’ with ‘obsession’? And you accuse me of ‘straw man’ arguments? LOL. I am very precise and very careful with everything I write. If I mean obsession, I say obsession. If I say ‘take an interest’, I mean precisely that. You’re incorrectly inferring opinions into my text and then arguing with said inference. Try focusing on what is actually stated.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]You didn't dispute any of them. [/citation]
Yes, OK. So I agreed with you that it is impossible to use flash on an iPhone, and didn’t disprove it at all. (That was sarcasm, by the way)
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]You went on to claim a number of highly pretentious things, like the only reason not to buy an iPhone was that you're broke or hate Apple, paraphrasing of course[/citation]
‘Paraphrasing’ – you mean ‘Straw man’? LOL. What I actually said was:
[citation][nom]willard[/nom] There is not a single useful thing which can't be done with an iPhone that you can do with a typical Android phone, it's only for people who have some kind of money issues or some need to try and find an alternative to the popular (common sense) purchase. Or, for people who are so insecure they define themselves on being 'techy' and mistake ease-of-use with lack of capability[/citation]
Again, as I stated, everything I say is either clearly a fact, or clearly an opinion. This is obviously my opinion. I based it on a logical premise too. I stand by the assertion that there is nothing useful which can be done on Android but not on iOS. Therefore, the only logical reason, in my opinion, to choose Android over iOS, is to save money, OR to find an alternative to the popular purchase, or people who misunderstand what can be achieved on iOS (the category I place you in). Note the use of the word ‘or’, so I am not saying that all of the reasons apply in every case, simply that in the vast majority of cases, one of those 3 factors is found.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Oh, and what illogical conclusions? The conclusion that I prefer Android is illogical? [/citation]
When you justify it based on false things, yes, that’s exactly what it is. Again, lets journey back to the bra example, because that seems to have escaped you. I don’t care if you like to wear bras. You can come on this forum and tell people you like to wear bras all you like (and it will be completely irrelevant, and nobody will care – because any random people can believe any stupid things). But if you try to justify wearing a bra based on the ‘fact’ it covers up more of your body than a t-shirt, people will correct you. They don’t care what you like to do, they just care about logic. Now do you see? Furthermore, when you state things like ‘Can you turn your 4S into a 4G hotspot with a single touch?’ – you are either asking ME, or asking if a ‘general person’ can turn their phone into a 4G hotspot. You then later claim it’s all about YOU, and only you. Not only does this make all of your arguments completely irrelevant (since the world doesn’t consist of just you), it also means all of your arguments need to be reworded so as to not contradict yourself. You should have stated ‘I’ can do X, or ‘I’ can do Y. When you generalise with ‘you’ you imply that everybody can. As a result, all the ‘majority’ (and therefore more relevant) arguments I made successfully refuted your ‘you’ questions, disproving them. Therefore any accusation of irrelevance is invalid.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Because that's all I've been saying, that I have a preference that is not yours. I'm not saying one platform is better than any other. [/citation]
I have said this, what, must be, 15 times now? It’s simply mind-boggling that you haven’t grasped it yet. I am not disputing your opinions. Opinions are subjective, can be completely without foundation and apply only to one individual. Your opinion has never been described as wrong, the justification has. You need to read that a few times and try to understand it, because your whole rant is completely covered by that one fact.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom] I said I personally prefer one over the other, and you flip out with a couple walls of text trying to "educate" me. [/citation]
You didn’t just say you preferred one over the other. You said you preferred one over the other because ‘you’ (said from your perspective) can do X, Y and Z on it which you can’t on iOS. And that second part is what was incorrect, illogical, and disproved. If you had simply stated you prefer Android, the world would have said a collective ‘so what’? If you reduce your argument to just that you reduce it to a complete irrelevance. Anybody can say they prefer anything, in the world, ever. They can claim they believe they live on the moon. What they believe can be stupid, illogical, and it’s therefore irrelevant. What IS relevant, however, is the facts which lead people to that conclusion. Those are the facts I discuss, and the facts which you incorrectly stats.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom] Oh the irony! You've basically been arguing this entire time that my opinion is wrong, I'm simply stating that I have an opinion. So apparently your opinion is that I'm not allowed to have an opinion? [/citation]
Again, you completely, absolutely, fail to understand the point I’ve made…. Now 16 times? Your OPINION is not relevant to anyone else. FACTS are. Your misrepresentation of FACTS is what led to me educating you, and to concluding that you are stupid. Not your opinion.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Irony meter just exploded. Go check your walls of text posted long before mine. You've probably typed close to five times as much as I have. But please, go on and call me out for a single long winded post when you're on your third. [/citation]
You miss the point (shocking). I don’t criticise people for writing long walls of text. I love a long debate, I often force people to do this because I love exposing lack of logic and prolonged discussion thereof (check various other threads). What I do criticise, however, is hypocrisy. You criticised me for writing a long wall of text, then do it yourself. That is hypocrisy. I, on the other hand, would never be so illogical to criticise something someone else does and then do it myself. What I did criticise was the hypocrisy. Please learn :)
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]when you say shit like the only reason to buy and Android phone is because you can't afford an iPhone, your real views are patently obvious. [/citation]
Again, to clarify, I provided 3 separate options of reasons why I believe most people buy Androids over IOS, ONE of which was cost. And I stand by that opinion. I never, in any way, shape or form, said that this was the ONLY reason. So that’s you with your ‘straw man’ argument (lol) again. I think it’s obvious that I believe that the iPhone 4S is currently the best phone, for all of the reasons I provided. I also believe that there’s nothing practical you can do on Android which you can’t on iPhone. I also believe that there are several practical things you CAN do on iPhone but not on Android. I don’t think I need to deny having that logically derived opinion?
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Might want to check how many times you've been rated down and me rated up. [/citation]
Are you really resorting to this? My -1 rating (one person) really makes you feel like that means logic doesn’t matter? I think that is the most pathetic sentence you’ve written. And that says a lot.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]I'm not saying my opinion is relevant to anyone. I'm saying it's relevant to me, and your need to berate me, or anyone, until I see the light of the iPhone is asinine. [/citation]
I’m glad we’re agreed that your opinion isn’t relevant to anyone except you. Which therefore means that your posts aren’t relevant to anyone except you. Which makes the fact you post it on an online forum completely illogical. See, my posts are intended to be more relevant, that’s why I take into account the majority positions, such as the fact that the majority of people can actually achieve better download speeds using iPhone than Android. That is relevant, you see. Because one person is a statistically meaningless metric, and because one opinion can be completely illogical. To reiterate (time number 17?), your opinion is not being disputed. Your reasoning is. You can prefer bras all you like, but you can’t like bras because they cover up more of your body than a t-shirt. Do you get it yet?
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]it would have been if you didn't feel the need to attack anyone who says they prefer something other than your precious[/citation]
The guy flinging swear words and insults around accuses me of attacking him? I simply rebutted your logical failings. If you feel attacked that’s your own insecurity/inferiority complex. Any accusation of you being stupid is based logically on the errors made in your posts, not just unsubstantiated tears like ‘prick’ or ‘stereotypes’.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom] That's you implying that my reasons for preferring Android are invalid, and by extension an implication that my opinion is wrong. [/citation]
Time 18? No ‘opinion’ can ever be wrong. They can be illogical, irrational, but never proven wrong. Your opinion isn’t being disputed, your reasoning is. When one of your reasons is that you can’t use flash on an iPhone, the fact that you CAN use flash on an iPhone, makes it invalid, incorrect, stupid, take any of the above. And that is what is being explained to you.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]That's you saying that your needs are universal and nobody want something you don't (like swapping the kernel). [/citation]
I don’t believe I ever stated that my needs are ‘universal’ – so that is a ‘straw man’ argument (lol). What I did state is that the majority of peoples needs are met by IOS, in my opinion. Furthermore, I cited the bloatware on Android, and that fewer people feel the need to jailbreak it and install new ‘kernels’. I didn’t yet mention the fact you can, indeed, jailbreak the iPhone and install anything you want on it, because that generally isn’t required for people who have iPhones – they tend to be completely satisfied by the operating system. Again, the problem here is that you are mistaking your personal views with any relevance whatsoever, wheras I am talking about people in general (and therefore relevant content).
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]And again by extension, that my desire to have that level of control is unnecessary and that any opinion based on that desire is again wrong. Strike two. [/citation]
Again, the question is not one of your desires. You can desire a phone which breaks in half when you breathe on it, if you want. It wont change the objective or majority view of what is required. Again, relevance, my dear. Changing the kernel is not a practical use. It is only necessary if there is something lacking or wrong with original implementation, and any other kernel you add may also have weaknesses – as you so eloquently put it – more choice does not mean better choice. Furthermore, as I already stated, replacing a kernel is not a practical use anyway – it serves no purpose on its own. It is only practical if it provides OTHER practical uses, which would be the relevant item to discuss. The act of replacing the kernel on its own is not the aim. You should focus on what it achieves, not on the fact you can do it (which again as I’ve explained you can do on iOS anyway).
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Marginalizing a feature not available by using a straw man argument. I never said to dial down the power to an unusable level. In fact, I've been very clear about what I said, but you have misrepresented what I said at literally every opportunity. [/citation]
Well this is simply untrue. You claim that having an app which increases battery life has no effect whatsoever on performance. This could only be possible if the design of Android to begin with was inefficient. If not, why wouldn’t it be built in all along? And my perfectly logical and nothing even closely resembling a ‘straw man’ argument was simply that this feature is automatically already in place on the iPhone 4S (and any good phone, actually). You’re saying you need to install an app to do something, and claiming that’s a feature, I’m educating you to the fact that it already happens by default on iOS. Again, an example of your opinion being based on factually incorrect premises. That is a common theme.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Strike three.Stating that the features missing from iPhone are not useful, and again by extension, the desire for those features irrelevant...you get the gist. [/citation]

Sorry, am I not allowed to believe that ‘widgets’ on their own are not a practical use? Is that a ‘wrong opinion’? I also believe that it’s a commonly held opinion – widgets are only useful if they enable to do something practical or useful you otherwise couldn’t, and my whole point is that they don’t. It’s obvious, and logical, and clearly my opinion. I’m still waiting for an example of a useful thing which you can do with Android and not with iOS? I’ve provided 10+ examples of the reverse, you’re struggling with ‘widgets’ and a bunch of claims which are simply not true (either for every person or the majority of people).

[citation][nom]willard[/nom]you think being open source protects you from copyright infringement is cute. Strike five.[/citation]
See, sentences like this are what make me wonder why I even try to educate people like you with such a failed grasp of the world. Let’s start off by clarifying (and you may call this an error on my part), that I was referring to the copyright of an invention, of more specifically, patents (which arguably should have been the word I used). Now, here beginneth the lesson: Patents only apply when you actually IMPLEMENT something, ie, use it in some way. By releasing Android as open source, Google cleverly avoided all of the patent disputes of their own, and left it down to the manufacturers to fight that battle. As a result, the cost of licensing Android continues to soar as more and more infringed patents are exposed, and Google has no responsibility to fight any of these claims – it’s a cost borne by the manufacturer (and in turn, the consumer). That is why they released Android as open source. Indeed, the cost of licensing Android is now believed to have risen to $60 per device, or more.
http://www.unwiredview.com/2011/07/13/the-real-cost-of-android-potentially-60-per-device-in-patent-fees/
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]I think I've pretty well established that you're waging a personal campaign against Android and have stated on numerous occasions that the only logical preference is for iPhone, and thus differing opinions are incorrect. .[/citation]
Lets journey to repeat explanation number 19? Your opinion is irrelevant. Your justification is. Your justification is wrong. That is part 1, a factual disproval of the reasons you gave. The second part if my personal opinion that people who do buy Androids tend to do so either because of money issues, not realising what you can do with iOS (as you demonstrate perfectly), or just flat out bias and irrational hatred for Apple (which again you demonstrate perfectly). Both are perfectly valid, the first is a factual education, the second is my view of the motivations for people buying Android. It is not a ‘campaign’ against Android, I am perfectly open to buying Android devices, should they offer me something practical that the iPhones can’t I would have no issue buying. As I already stated, I was considering the nexus prime until the hardware turned out to be 2 years old. You mistake a logically derived conclusion (and make sure you note the words ‘logically derived’) that the iOS can do everything practical that Android can, but Android cannot do everything practical that iOS can, with a campaign? That is the definition of straw-man argument, and completely illogical. The difference between us, is, my opinion is justified by a) Correct statements (not false claims like saying you can’t use flash), and b) Statements which apply to more than just myself (that way they are relevant). You fail to satisfy both criterion.

[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Anger? I'm just pointing out how much of a tool you are. I fail to see where you're getting a sense of anger. Calling you a pretentious bastard is a statement of fact, and despite what you've decided, I'm not remotely angry. .[/citation]
LOL.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]You just stated that you think it's okay to be a smug asshole as long as you're right. .[/citation]
Did I? I don’t believe I’ve used the word smug at all, see I don’t deal with things which can’t be evidenced. I simply stated that I’m being condescending because your failure to grasp the reality of the situation leads me to believe that you need it to be simplified. Again, factual premise, logically derived conclusion. Common theme, you see?
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Isn't it kind of the calling card of smug assholes to always think they're right, and thus you've rationalized always acting like a smug asshole? [/citation]
My rationalisation for educating you is mainly fun, and secondly to clarify the misconceptions and false delusional justifications people turn to when trying to defend a biased purchase. Again, nice to see you’re not angry, and ‘smug’ is purely your own inferiority complex surfacing again. Top tip for you – it’s really easy to always be right – simply don’t say things unless they are true. Using flash on the iPhone is a good example.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Ahh yes, because you deny it then it must not be true! You can't shout this down, your true feelings are patently obvious[/citation]
My true feelings are clearly that iOS is currently superior to Android (When taking available hardware into account). That doesn’t make me an irrational fanboy, I’ve given you 10+ reasons why, benefits which are exclusively on iOS, all of which are TRUE. That’s just a logical deduction. An irrational fanboy approach would be to start off with the premise of preferring iOS, and then desperately try to justify it. That is your approach (but with Android), and is why the reasons you give are simply not true.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Anti-apple fanboy? Methinks you're not quite right on the definition of a fanboy. Fanboys have an irrational love for something. Stating that I hate Apple (a company, not any of their products) does not make me an Android fanboy. [/citation]
This is another simply incorrect conclusion reached using an invalid premise. Firstly, fanboys don’t have to be irrational. Now who doesn’t know the ‘definition’ of fanboy? Secondly, liking, or having enthusiasm for something (the actual definition of a fanboy) CAN clearly be driven by ‘hating Apple about as much as any guy could’. If you hate Apple as ‘much as any guy could’, clearly you would have enthusiasm for competing products because their success would be to the detriment of Apple. Basic, logical deduction, which again proves you wrong. Are you seeing the pattern yet?
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]I actually like the iPhone a lot, as evidenced by my buying two of them. I just like Android more. I'm not a fanboy of anything, I just think Apple has some seriously sleazy business practices, like trying to criminalize their users for modifying devices that they own and resorting to patent trolling when Android overtook them in market share. [/citation]
‘Patent trolling’ is again an unsubstantiated opinion masquerading as a fact, dripping with bias. The only reason Apple was able to bring any cases to court and get devices banned was because Samsung (as an example) blatantly ripped off their whole product line. If there was no copyright, no patent infringement (not even an arguable case), no cases could ever have achieved even a preliminary injunction. Who is guilty in a case of patent infringement? The company who infringes, or the company who protects their intellectual rights? As for ‘criminalizing users for modifying devices’ this is again a gross exaggeration, and misses the point. Modified devices simply leads to the illegal practises like the ones you practise, such as tethering without having approval of your network provider, or downloading apps for free. Apple is actually showing more responsibility and honesty and fairness to the network providers by ensuring that this immoral and contract-breaching tethering doesn’t take place. I don’t have an issue with that. It’s very good that you realise the iPhones are excellent though, that doesn’t contradict anything I’ve said.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom] I didn't say the iPhone couldn't tether. I'm saying that its connection quality is strictly inferior. . [/citation]
That isn’t what you said, actually. You simply referred to creating a hotspot. I asked the question, for what? I also stated that I believed your answer would be to tether, which I was correct about. Regarding the speeds, I have already proven to you that for the majority of people (notice the relevant comment being made her) the connection is NOT strictly inferior. It’s actually much faster. Again, note the failing of your comment, for not specifying that you mean purely for yourself. The implication is that the iPhone quality is GENERALLY strictly inferior. Another lack of precision on your part, failing to show just how irrelevant all of your comments are, and the exact failure to grasp simple logic which has led to you misunderstanding most of the content of this discussion.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Can your device tether to internet that's faster than most home internet? No, it can't. [/citation]
Firstly, actually, for me, yes it can. Or do you mean ‘YOUR’ as in a general person? Their answer is the same, yes it can. Now ask the same question for Android phones? The answer for the majority of people would be ‘no’, since they don’t have 4G network, but do benefit from the 14.4 HDSPA. Notice again, that you failed to say ‘I CAN’ but instead asked ‘can your’ – whether that refers to me or to people in general, both are wrong. And again, if you had said ‘Can I’ – you would have reduced your points to an irrelevance.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Widgets were just thrown in as yet another feature iOS lacks. That you think this is the crux of my argument is what's truly pathetic. [/citation]
I don’t think me stating that I can’t take widgets seriously as a ‘feature’ which has any practical or useful benefit really indicates me interpreting it as the ‘crux’ of your argument. It simply means, as I said, that it sounds pathetic, and is not a practical benefit on its own.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]I'm beginning to seriously doubt your claims of intelligence if it takes you five hours to root an Android device. [/citation]
You forgot having to remove all the bloatware, the time taken to research the ROM, to ensure it offers the features you want, has the necessary security you require, and time to test that it actually works. The actual amount of the time wasted is pretty irrelevant and arbitrary. How long it takes you, specifically, is again completely irrelevant since all my discussion is focused on relevance and therefore not just one person. The point is it’s time wasted which shouldn’t need to be wasted. The operating system the phone comes with should be good enough on its own. And you also fail to discuss the additional problem of voiding your warranty.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]The desire for choice is not an indication that the default is inferior.[/citation]
Sorry but this is absolutely incorrect. The only reason you would ever desire a choice is if said choice is superior in some way. Otherwise it would be a choice which would never be made, and therefore of no benefit. You’re claiming choice is a benefit, I’m logically stating that choice is only beneficial if the choice offers benefits, which necessarily means it has to be superior in some way. In case the final step eludes you, the superiority of one thing necessarily implies the inferiority of the other thing.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Irrelevant. Everything you do the phone doesn't have to be the end goal of having the phone. This is like saying you shouldn't download apps because you only want to use apps, not download them. .[/citation]
Wow, this is your biggest logical failing ever. When you download an app, you HAVE to download it before you can use it, therefore, as you say, it is a means to an end – the end, specifically, is being able to run the app which serves a practical purpose. You did not state that changing a kernel is a feature because of X, Y, and Z features which it brings you, you simply stated that changing a kernel is a ‘feature’ into itself. To make the kernel argument relevant at all, you would have to justify the ‘end’ to which it is a means. That ‘end’ is precisely the point which you failed to demonstrate, you simply explained what the ‘means’ is – and that is my point. You would have to explain the useful and practical features which you get and then THEY would be the feature, not changing the kernel by itself. To apply that to your app analogy, it would be like saying it’s a feature to be able to download an app with unknown capabilities and that the feature is actually the download itself rather than using the app. Furthermore, you completely fail to address the fact you can just as easily jailbreak the iPhone.

[citation][nom]willard[/nom]. I don't mind a few hoops to jump through to get more freedom with my phone. .[/citation]
‘Freedom’ which helps you to achieve… what? You can jailbreak an iPhone anyway.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]But apparently it's a totally irrational desire and I'm flat out wrong for it. .[/citation]

Still not seeing any benefit. For a desire to be rational it would have to provide you with some kind of benefit. Which is the point, none of the features you described actually provide a benefit.

[citation][nom]willard[/nom]I'm simply saying that I like Android. Your straw mans are getting out of hand.[/citation]
Let’s be clear, this is not all you’re saying. As the many, many examples above prove, you have not been referring to you, specifically, but more generally making claims about the features of the phone for either me, or a general person, the vast majority of which I have proven to be false (either for all or the majority of users). If all you had said was ‘I like Android’, this conversation would never have happened, because the opinion of one man is completely irrelevant to everyone else and means nothing without a proper jusitifcation. Don’t try to misrepresent what you’re claiming, and therefore misrepresent what I am disputing.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Out of curiosity, how do you explain the flagship Android phones being successful? .[/citation]
Successful? Relative to the iPhone 4S? They aren’t. If you mean why do they obtain sales? I already explained this? 1 – They are cheaper (they ARE cheaper, despite your claims to the contrary), 2 – Wanting to differentiate yourself from the majority of your friends who own iPhones, 3 – misunderstanding the features (do you believe some people are so dumb they think you can’t jailbreak a phone and can’t use flash on it), 4 – Personal taste, 5 – Larger screen on some models (some people prefer this, some dislike it), 6 – People with irrational and pathetic dislike for Apple choosing Android out of ‘principle’. Of those, only reason 5 is rational. None of which are practical features which enable you to do things the iPhone can’t.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom] Open source doesn't mean you get to infringe on copyrights. [/citation]
In the case of copyright of inventions (in other words, patents), open source DOES allow you to infringe on them. As already explained. A techie would know this, by the way. You describe it as ‘absolutely hilarious’ which is amazingly ironic given that you are absolutely incorrect (again).
[citation][nom]willard[/nom] If the iPhone were such a clear and obvious choice, it should be dominating the market no matter how many people make shitty inferior phones[/citation]
While I love the fact you prove in this sentence that having the facility to add a new kernel is irrelevant because the default kernel would dominate regardless if it was better, you also take the sentence completely out of context. Firstly, even ignoring the fact you take the sentence out of context, you are fundamentally wrong. Given 10 manufacturers who all promote their phones in various ways and to varying degrees in differing locations, and given the fact that consumers don’t all know all the facts about the phones when buying, it is NOT necessarily true that the best phone will always sell the most, or more strongly, to outsell the rest of the competition combined. Secondly, turn your question around, if the iPhone is not a clear and obvious choice, why is it the best selling phone of all time? Thirdly, put the comment back into context (an ability you seemingly lack) and you realise that I had already stated that it is more expensive, reason alone for a lot of people not to buy it. Finally, add in edge minority cases where a specific feature eg waterproof is required and the iPhone wont always fit the mould. It does, however, fit the mould for the majority of people, which is my point.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom] ranting about how terrible Android is.[/citation]
I provided several facts which I believe to be weaknesses of Android. I also provided several facts which are things iOS can do which Android can’t. I also challenged you to give an example of one thing Android can do which is useful and practical that iOS can’t. That isn’t ranting about how terrible Android is, and the fact you have to describe it like that exposes your difficulty in responding to what I ACTUALLY said.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]My point remains this, and only this. I prefer Android.[/citation]
As stated clearly above, this ISN’T your only point, and for time 20 – your opinion is not what is being disputed.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Speaking out of both sides of your mouth. You state that anyone can prefer Android, then moments later rant for paragraph after paragraph about how that preference is wrong. [/nom]
Again, time 21, I’m not saying that the opinion is wrong. I’m saying that holding the opinion for the factually incorrect reasons you provided, is wrong. There’s a big difference. Try to understand :) Furthermore, you have not been speaking about your personal situation only, but instead have been referring to ‘you’ meaning either me or people in general, which takes the conversation away from your personal views and onto the features for the population in general. Again, don’t try to claim a whole selection of things (most of which are incorrect) and then claim all you’re saying is ‘I prefer X’. If that were really all you were saying you would say that and only that.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Never said you couldn't.[/citation]
Premise 1 – We’re discussing advantages and disadvantages of iOS vs Android, now.
Premise 2 – You brought up multi tasking as an argument against iOS
Premise 3 – You then claim you never said you can’t multi-task on an iPhone
Conclusion – Therefore you lack any logical ability whatsoever and rendered your whole rant about milti-tasking completely irrelevant, and agree that it was misplaced in this conversation.

[citation][nom]willard[/nom]And I'm just pointing out past examples of things that the freedom Android offers is useful for. [/citation]
Why do you have to go the past, to find an example? We’re discussing the here and now, if it’s still beneficial and useful you should have no problem finding arguments which relate to the modern day?
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]I in no way attempted to represent this as a current limitation of the device. [/citation]

Your admittance of this is precisely the goal I was seeking. When your best defence to your own points in a discussion about the limitations and features of competing operating systems is ‘I wasn’t trying to represent this as a CURRENT limitation’ – you defeat yourself.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Never said I did any of that, but guess what. Other people have. That's kind of why there are dozens of custom ROMs out there. [/citation]
Firstly – there are other ROMS out there for iPhone too. So this is a nonsense anyway. Secondly, it’s interesting that you believe people achieved the impossible and opened up the source code which was never released and edited it – talk about blind delusion? Thirdly, you miss the point regarding security and testing. Whether it was you, or any number of people who modified the source code and edited it, you’re still placing your security in the hands of software which has not been properly tested and voiding your warranty in the process. Finally – people editing the source code is only a benefit if it actually results in a FEATURE or practical use which benefits the user. And that is the point, you continue to fail to provide one.

[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Also, nice job calling the AOSP community pathetic. Instead of doing something worthwhile, they should clearly be spending all their time ranting about how terrible Android is and how anyone who uses it is stupid. [/citation]
This is again, complete definition of a Straw Man argument. I never in any way called a community pathetic. I called you pathetic. And my criticism of open source was solely directed at Android, and the reasons I gave were clear. Again, to remind you of the context of this discussion, we’re comparing features and capabilities of Android and iOS. You’re citing open source, as if that is a benefit on its own. I am explaining to you that it’s only a benefit if it actually results in a benefit – it is not a benefit on its own. If it was so beneficial, and given that iOS isn’t open source, you would surely have no problem giving me a practical benefit which they achieved. And the open source community would have no problems admitting that there are security and testing risks associated with any open source project – it’s obvious and logical. It’s a clear disadvantage, one which you seem to lack the capability to comprehend. The clear difference between a mobile phone open source and normal software is the level of risk and importance associated with each. Clearly a mobile phone requires much greater levels of security and reliability than a program which say, downloads torrents. Finally, you have not in any way addressed the fact that the source code for Android 3 was never even released. Since even some new devices can’t use ICS, this is still relevant today.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Yes sir, they sure are pathetic for keeping to themselves and enjoying their hobby. Pathetic as pathetic gets. You sure are so much better than all those people. So much better in fact that I bet you list "I'm better than you" on your resume, rather than "Contributed to the AOSP project and created a custom ROM," because that's so much more impressive to prospective employers. Yes sir, you win at life. Those pathetic geeks should just go kill themselves now, right? [/citation]

This is the most angry and bitter rant in your whole response. You start off with an invalid premise that I called anyone but you, pathetic, and build up a massive rant based on that. Of course, the invalid premise makes it all laughable, but it’s quite amusing watching your anger overflow in the text. I personally contribute myself to many open source projects, which makes your rant all the more laughable, but I am under no delusions as to how beneficial they are in the context of mobile phones, and specifically I am not aware of any feature on Android ROMS which is useful which the iPhone and its massive app library can’t accomplish. Furthermore, you can just as easily achieve the extra (and BENEFICIAL) feature by developing apps – a much more secure and controlled way to extend functionality without voiding warranties. To try and turn this into a discussion about CV’s couldn’t be digressing any more, really. As a consumer, I don’t care if the guy who wrote a ROM has an impressive CV. That’s not interesting or relevant for me, and it doesn’t have any bearing whatsoever on how useful the ROM is or what feature it offers.

[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Skipping along because holy shit your post is long (and you called me out for writing a wall of text? Lol. [/citation]
Again, failure to read. I called you out for criticising people who write long walls of text, and then do it yourself. The hypocrisy is what was being slated, not writing long posts. As I already explained, I would never be such a logical failure to criticise something and then do it myself ;-)
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Irrelevant. I do have 4G service, and I've only ever been talking about the phone I prefer. Next irrelevant argument?Not in my area. I've only failed to get a 4G signal a few times over the last year. Next?Irrelevant. The numbers I gave you are my real world performance numbers. Which are 50-100% higher than the theoretical maximum that the 4S can achieve [/citation]
We’ve already proved that this is not the case, your questions have been regarding either me or a general user, and that your personal situation is irrelevant. As has been stated all along, your personal opinion is both irrelevant, and not up for discussion. The claims you make regarding the iPhones capabilities in general are what are flawed. If you had stated ‘I personally can get better network speed with X over Y’ you would have been more accurate, but I would simply have countered by explaining that this is not the case for the majority of people, so is not an objective argument.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]all I'm saying is I prefer Android? I'm not speaking for anybody else, [/citation]
Firstly, that isn’t all you’re saying. Secondly, time, 21? I lose count – your opinion is not being discussed here. I said this in my first post, I have repeated it numerous times in countless further comments, but you still don’t grasp it. I think I am definitely justified in referring to you as stupid :)

[citation][nom]willard[/nom]I'm on unlimited, no cap. [/citation]

Please evidence this by specifying which network and which contract you are on. Firstly, I simply believe you are mistaken. Secondly, even if you aren’t, the vast majority of countries don’t even have an unlimited network cap. They all have contracts which masquerade as being unlimited, but all of them have ‘fair use policies’. So, again, turning the conversation into something relevant, the majority of people don’t have unlimited use, so in fact your comment is irrelevant to more people than mine was.

[citation][nom]willard[/nom] I don't care that somebody else on some other carrier in some other country might not get as good a use of it as me. I'm only speaking for me.[/citation]
So that means that a) you know what you’re saying is completely irrelevant to everyone else, b) You failed to read the 22? Times I told you that your personal opinion is not being discussed, and c) Every time you were stating what the iPhone can and can’t do, where you failed to refer specifically to yourself, you were wrong?
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Irrelevant, moving on.Downloading large apps, tethering your laptop and downloading large files. I actually downloaded the Windows 8 developer preview through my phone's internet while I was sitting in an airport. The extra speed is very, very noticeable.And I've already explained this is not my situation. Moving on.Irrelevant for a number of reasons that I've already mentioned. .[/citation]
The above response to your previous failing covers all of this, too. In an airport there is typically wifi anyway, but for the vast majority of the world population it would be faster to download this way on an iPhone. Also, of course, everyone honest knows that their carrier has a fair usage policy.
[citation][nom]willard[/nom] You are aware that the iPhone 4S isn't a DC-HSPA+ device, right? That will require a different antenna. Also, I'd like to point out when you said:I guess we were only talking about now until it was convenient for you to call up future enhancements to the network to try to diminish the advantage of LTE. .[/citation]
You miss the point. A direct comparison is made in the quote I posted of the current situation. Which makes both of your questions irrelevant. Indeed, the context of the post I quoted is a summary of the current status of network performance on the iPhone 4S. Perhaps you didn’t understand the quote?
[citation][nom]willard[/nom] Maybe take advantage of that LTE radio and try out a new custom ROM. .[/citation]
Yeah, I’m really jealous. I wish it were possible for me to listen to the radio or to waste time jailbreaking my iPhone… oh wait!!! (LOL)
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Probably won't take five hours to do it, though. I prefer to just select it from a list on my phone, download it over my 20+ megabit connection and be up and running inside of 5 minutes while I watch TV. But I guess I'm not doing it right since it didn't take five hours.[/citation]
I guess if I was bored, lonely, and had no life, I could also use my 800mb wifi connection (which I can find pretty much everywhere I go) to download new roms from a list, and spend hours ‘trying out’ all the new amazing features it provides my phone which will be of a practical and useful benefit, because I’m obviously unhappy with the way my phone is currently. Or, if I didn’t have Wifi at home whilst watching television, because I was ridiculously poor, I could use the 14.4megabit connection and do the same, whilst watching friends with Android phones struggling to get half of that. Of course, it would also take me much less time to install the product, it would run faster, have better graphics, allow me to access more apps, have automated power management features, I could view it with a high DPI screen and enjoy taking better photos from within the device. I could use the most advanced voice activation software to control it and I could sync it all seamlessly with a fully integrated cloud facility. I would enjoy it for a much longer time off charge, and be able to play games of much higher quality than I could on an Android. I could also wirelessly stream said high quality games to the TV, and then maybe watch some HD football using the Sky Sports app which is unavailable on Android. I guess I could provide some feedback on the experience, I know people with Android mostly give less positive feedback but what do they know, hey? I’ll ignore the numerous surveys which say that a far far higher percentage of Android users want to try iOS than the reverse, and I’ll ignore the surveys which prove that on average, Android users are less well paid, younger, and less educated.
Fortunately, I do have a life so I value my time more than to waste it tweaking a phone with no tangible or useful benefit. Thank god I’m in the majority.
Final note: 1 – Anyone can have an opinion of anything. It’s completely irrelevant for that exact reason. If you resort to claiming that that is your only claim, your whole rant becomes completely irrelevant to everyone else. 2 – You STILL haven’t grasped the whole point which was that even if you DO dislike iOS, or just prefer Android, you would STILL, as a tech head, take an interest in what Apple does, which was the whole original point. And 3 – Bless :)

Status
Not open for further replies.