Boot device problem

Solution
Unless the BIOS description specifically states it resolves an issue you are experiencing, do not attempt to update the BIOS. This is where you need to contact the laptop manufacturer and have them send you a Windows disc for your laptop.

-Wolf sends

nuredin.don.arlind

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
If I remove the DVD it won't give me any boot options. I can see the hard disk in the device list in the BIOS but not on the boot devices list. It is a new ASUSX541 N laptop. I installed Windows 10 Pro, restarted it several times and today it won't boot from the hard disk.

The specs for the system state it comes with either Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro. Since you state it's new and you installed Windows 10 Pro, that tells me it came with Windows 10 Home. Where did you get the Windows 10 Pro DVD from?

-Wolf sends

That's likely the issue then. Contact your laptop manufacturer for a Restore DVD and reinstall the appropriate OS for the laptop. If it came with Windows 10 Home and you want to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, then you should ask the laptop manufacturer how much that is going to cost.

With most laptops, the OS is configured in such a way that it only updates from the laptop manufacturer. Is you installed an OS not configured for your laptop (generic Windows), it will try to update like any other desktop and you end up getting incorrect drivers which causes your system to crash/fail to boot.

-Wolf sends

nuredin.don.arlind

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017

This might be the issue. The laptop came with a preloaded Endless OS. During Windows install I deleted the partition and created a fresh new, as in every installation process. I downloaded all the drivers and it all went well. What if I try to update the BIOS? Will it help?

Unless the BIOS description specifically states it resolves an issue you are experiencing, do not attempt to update the BIOS. This is where you need to contact the laptop manufacturer and have them send you a Windows disc for your laptop.

-Wolf sends

Solution