Bottom of range i5 laptop suitable for gaming?

Solution
no, the amount of RAM has no bearing on how powerful the GPU is.

if its ATI anything with a number higher than HD5670 should be good.

with nvidia, anything higher than GT330

but the amount of ram is not a figure to look at.

EDIT: now that im looking at the specs of the first one you linked, and done some more searching, it seems it may actually be a GT335m. in which case its performance is about on par with the other 5670. but given the price difference i'd go for the second anyway.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
no, the title tells us nothing.

what laptop are you looking at specifically?

the video card has a much stronger bearing on gaming performance than the processor.

an i5 is capable of handling most modern games, but only if paired with a strong GPU.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
then no, integrated graphics won't be able to play games to a satisfactory level.

if you are lucky, you might be able to play 5 year olds games on lowest settings.

if you can link to the laptop i can give you a better idea of how it will perform, but generally the intel integrated graphics are trash. they are designed for movie playback and such, not 3d rendering and especially not gaming.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
ive never even heard that GPU code before, but according to notebookcheck its a gt200m.
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Series GeForce GT 200M
Codename N11P-GE1
Pipelines 48 - unified
Core Speed * 575 MHz
Shader Speed * 1265 MHz
Memory Speed * 1066 MHz
Memory Bus Width 128 Bit
Memory Type GDDR2, GDDR3, DDR3
Max. Amount of Memory 1024 MB

so no, you won't be doing any gaming on that at all. it would barely be able to handle the most basic of 3d games.

you need a considerably more powerful GPU if you want to game im afraid.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
thats more like it.

a good gpu. you wont be maxing anything out, but you should be able to play just about any game out there within reason.

a pretty good buy actually!

EDIT: actually, given the low native resolution of the screen you may be able to max out quite a few recent games. i bet MW2 and ME2 would have no problem running on that laptop with the settings dialed up.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
no, the amount of RAM has no bearing on how powerful the GPU is.

if its ATI anything with a number higher than HD5670 should be good.

with nvidia, anything higher than GT330

but the amount of ram is not a figure to look at.

EDIT: now that im looking at the specs of the first one you linked, and done some more searching, it seems it may actually be a GT335m. in which case its performance is about on par with the other 5670. but given the price difference i'd go for the second anyway.

Solution

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

There is no such thing as an ATI Mobility HD 5670. ATI Mobility HD 5650 or anything higher should play most recent games on high or medium.

He also means Nvidia Geforce GT 330M or anything higher. Since, we are talking about notebooks here.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009

the discussion has already ended, but never mind that.

if you actually read the thread you will realize the OP does not know alot about mobile GPUs. i was simply make things easy to understand. i wasn't talking about models and series numbers, simply quoting the numbers he needs to look for.