Jun 10, 2010
Hi guys,
week ago i bought a new laptop- Acer Aspire 5740G-434g64mn

Here are its statistics:

Intel Core i5 processor 430M 2,26 Ghz, 3MB L3 cache
Ati Radeon Mobility HD 5650 1024 Ram DDR3
4 GB RAM DDR3
640 GB HDD

...and some other extras, you can check it here: http://innovations.findtechnews.net/2010/05/26/review-acer-aspire-5740g-434g64mn/ (ofc there are other websites you can check it as well).

So, after i bought it, i was feeling like i was in paradise...for 15 minutes or so.
After I installed World of Warcraft, I was amazed by the unchaging 60 fps on absolutely everything maxxed(Multisample,shadow effects,texture detail and so)

For 15 minutes everything was perfect. Then the game froze for half a second and continued. And after that these freezes...they just kept occuring.

Now,by a "freeze" i mean that the game STOPS for about 1-4 seconds-i am unable to do anything. Then the game catches up in the action (and in most cases, if this happens in a battleground, I find myself dead). The freezes are completely random, sometimes they won't occur for half an hour,sometimes they are every minute.

I lowered down the graphics to the minimum,but this problem still exist :(

I have this very Problem on Team Fortress 2, too (mind that the game is completely Legal). However, I don't have it in almost any of the Single Player games: Assassin's Creed 2, Prince of Persia, which makes no sense, since the latter require greater CPU and GPU usage.

I can tell you some of the problems that other people suggested, but I really want to hear your opinion.
What can this problem be? I had the laptop tested back at the market I bought it from, and they told me that on the test it showed that there were no hardware problems.

Please,pretty please, help me. I am being quite desperate at the moment :(
Thank you in advance. If you have any suggestions or (even better) Solutions! Please post them here.
Thank you again.

P.S. I posted another topic here, some people tried to help, but unfortunately, nothing of what they told me to do proved to work :(

Have you tried updating the driver for the graphics card via ATI's support site? If not, give that a go and see if that helps. On a side note, what sort of temps is the laptop putting out? You can download a free app like RealTemp or Speedfan to gauge the temps. I ask because it seems like it could be getting a bit hot, hence the lag and Acers are known for temperature issues.

Puhpuhan4o

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Ok, so I have tried my laptop with 3 different Ati drivers:my native ones(the one that come with the acer dvd), 10_5 for non-mobility, 10_5 mobility and i am currently with 10_6 mobility (it was released while my laptop was at the service,being checked). So it can't be the ati drivers...i suppose...Unless everything is great on some previous version which i don't know.

The Temperature gets up to 76 degrees C (i think this was the highest temp i've seen).
Tonight i was playing with a maximum of 69, 65 avrg.
(I have HW_Monitor Installed).

daship

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Internet lag??? Seems likely as it works fine on single player. Hook your laptop up to wired internet and try.

If you are leeching from a neighbors internet thats definitely the issue.

Puhpuhan4o

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
it is not lag...it is FPS drop-the fps gets down to 0,i know what is server Latency.
And I am not leeching Net from my neighbours ;/
I have a cable Modem, usually download with 2 MGB/s
I stand corrected about the heat: Maximum is 79 C, but i suppose that Acer's warm a bit higher than the other laptops.

I tried My WoW and TF2 in 3 different NET situations:
-Mine at home, Cable Modem
-At friend's House, he has Wireless and shared some with me
-At my dad's Work, the Net there is really fast (something like a dedicated network)

On all 3 Networks i have the same issues.

Puhpuhan4o

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Ok people, I am pleased to tell you that :

PROBLEM IS SOLVED!

A dude with the Nick Drhank solved my problem (on the WoW Forums).

EVERYONE WHO HAS MY PROBLEM: GO TO http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/468091-acer-aspire-5740g-owners-lounge.html

And from there download the program quietHDD (bottom of the page, the forum chat.

I don't know what it does, but it solved all freezes: NO MORE FREEZES!
Thank you for your efforts,make sure to tell about this other people with my problems as well!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Laptop General Discussion 1
Nedgy Laptop General Discussion 6
James235 Laptop General Discussion 1
olg1976 Laptop General Discussion 1
Diarnurrizky Laptop General Discussion 0
Noahman1234 Laptop General Discussion 2
D Laptop General Discussion 5
J Laptop General Discussion 1
F Laptop General Discussion 5
Ryan_78 Laptop General Discussion 2
B Laptop General Discussion 1