Brand New Acer Nitro 5 laptop, after updating black screen at boot up

May 9, 2018
Hi, I am on my second Acer Nitro 5 (the first one I took back to exchange for this 2nd because I thought the first one was defective). Here's a link to the EXACT laptop I am having problems with the EXACT same specs:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-nitro-5-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-256gb-solid-state-drive-shale-black/6212602.p?skuId=6212602

The laptop was working fine. I got my antivirus software installed, my games, and the Windows 10 updates that install due to first time use. The first laptop did the same thing as this 2nd. After using the 2nd one for 6 to 8 hours without a problem, I go to restart the laptop. After the green Acer logo appears, the screen goes black and does not continue to the start up page to enter a password to gain access to the desktop and games, etc on this laptop. After a brief moment, the backlit keyboard turns off. I think it has shut off but I find it's still turned on and as I press a key on it the backlit keyboard lights up but the screen stays black and cannot gain any further access, not even to enter my password and get signed in to the desktop part with my icons, games, apps, etc.

When the first one I took back to Best Buy did this, it never went to the home screen either with my apps, games, etc. The tech looked at it, pressed a few buttons and got a message asking to restart the laptop. He said it could be the OS because they are seeing a lot of similar problems after updates to Windows 10. My coverage plan covers hardware issues and drops and spills, not software problems so I asked to exchange it for another of the same model. Now the same issue on the 2nd one.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? What can I do to find out the issue and fix it? I am not tech savvy. From what I do know of computers, I think it could be related to the OS because I got the same issues after the updates that occur upon first time use of a new laptop. It could be a software or hardware issue and I'd not know how to go about finding the problem, let alone fix it by myself. I am on a limited monthly income and was looking forward to having this laptop. Now same issues, different laptop.

Please advise.

Solution
Go to "Control Panel", with your headset plugged in, and then go into "Sound". Click on the "Recording" tab. Now right click on the headset and set it to "Default". Now remove the headset and it should make the laptop one now the default.

Reconnect the headset and it should, again, go back to the headset mic as default. Now hit mute and it 'should' mute the mic you are using and not turn back to the laptops mic.
May 9, 2018
Just tried to boot it again. This time after the green Acer logo the backlit keyboard shuts off. I pressed a key, it's on for about a minute then turns off.

To answer your question, nothing like a cursor or underscore shows up. It's like it is in sleep mode? I hear it running but the screen is blank or black and the keyboard is unlit.

May 9, 2018
I do not have an external monitor. I've never done BIOS before. A friend sent me a link about BIOS. What do I need to look for in the settings exactly so I'll recognize it?

I called the Acer tech support and they recommended a reset the pc. It has been complete for about 2 hours or so. No issues so far. But waiting in case it happens. lol

I'll post any updates.

contact the laptop vendor make sure you have the newest bios on it. run hdtune windows 10 newest update has issues with intel ssd. it just been posted that people with intel ssd not to do the april updates as it failed on those ssd. with best buy there tech support is ok for some hardware issues. what you need is contact laptop vendor and ask to be in contact with level two support or eng support. let them know your having a no post after the newest windows updates on two new units.

May 9, 2018
I called Acer yesterday and they suggested a reset of the pc. After the reset, things with that issue are okay as the blank or black screen on startup has not occurred since.

However, I have a different issue now. I have a gaming headset I use when I chat online. For some reason, when I am using the headset (it is a 3.5mm) and have the microphone muted, the mic on the laptop still picks up my voice, whether the microphone on my headset is muted or not. I don't know what to do from this point. I have never encountered this issue with any laptop until now. I've made sure the drivers are updated, the headset is enabled but it still does it. Not sure what to do to fix this new issue.

Go to "Control Panel", with your headset plugged in, and then go into "Sound". Click on the "Recording" tab. Now right click on the headset and set it to "Default". Now remove the headset and it should make the laptop one now the default.

Reconnect the headset and it should, again, go back to the headset mic as default. Now hit mute and it 'should' mute the mic you are using and not turn back to the laptops mic.

Solution