Brand New Lenovo Laptop Screen Won't Turn On

cstrahl24

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016
So I got my new Lenovo ThinkPad 13 today and was very excited about getting it up and running. Before I turned it on for the first time, I put my extra ram in (I ordered it with less ram to save some money and installed ram myself because I found out that the laptop was upgrade able) and then proceeded to turn on the laptop. The only problem here is that the screen won't turn on, its completely black. Everything else is definitely on and everything is functioning except the screen...I figure that this can't be because of me putting in more ram (I have 8gb total now and I checked to make sure it was compatible) and also the laptop got hot really quick if that helps anyone solve this for me. Any help would be appreciated, I would really not like to return this and wait another 2.5 weeks for another new laptop.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Solution
I also bought the Lenovo Thinkpad 13. I have had it for about a week. A few hours ago the screen would not turn on and was completely black. The fan was going and the bottom was warming up, but the screen did nothing. After leaving it to charge for a hour. I came back, made sure the laptop was off and pressed the power button for roughly 30 secs. The laptop then started up normal and everything was fine. It has only been fixed for a few minutes, so I don't know if it will last, but it's a start. Hopefully this will help.
Hi,

I would suggest removing the RAM that you added then see if it will boot up normally. If it will boot up normally, that could mean that the RAM you added is not compatible. But if the laptop will still not boot up without the added RAM, I would suggest taking it back to the store where you bought it from.

cstrahl24

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016

So, I left the laptop unplugged last night after I went to sleep (with the RAM still in it) and tried plugging it in and booting it up in the morning. It worked fine, started up fast, I set up everything, downloaded a few apps like skype, everything was good. I then went to run some errands and come back to try to use my laptop, and I end up with the same issue I had when I first got it. The screen is just completely black but the power lights and such are on. I don't get it. I'll try removing the RAM to see if that works

Jacob_97

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
I also bought the Lenovo Thinkpad 13. I have had it for about a week. A few hours ago the screen would not turn on and was completely black. The fan was going and the bottom was warming up, but the screen did nothing. After leaving it to charge for a hour. I came back, made sure the laptop was off and pressed the power button for roughly 30 secs. The laptop then started up normal and everything was fine. It has only been fixed for a few minutes, so I don't know if it will last, but it's a start. Hopefully this will help.

Solution