Brand new lenovo laptop wont turn on

Nincompoopie

Estimable
Sep 11, 2014
So i bought this new Lenovo G50 laptop and just downloaded a few apps, (VLC media player, Audacity) and everything was going okay. But then one day i turned it on and after writing my password, all i see is a black screen. The cursor is visible and i can move it around but that's about it. Even pop ups show on the black screen, but it still wont change. HELP!

Solution
The system probably failed to launch from sleep/hybrid sleep mode. There is an occasional issue with windows 8's fast boot, which performs similarly to hibernate and significantly cuts boot time. Press the power button and allow it to power down, then try again. If that doesn't work, try a hard reset (press and hold the power button until it powers down - you will lose any unsaved data). If that doesn't work, you may have a hardware or OS installation/software problem. A virus is possible but if you haven't been browsing or downloading from sketchy sites it's unlikely.
Could be a virus, did you install an anti-virus software?

Did you try to turn if off and back on again before posting here?

If no anti-virus, you can create a AV rescue disk using a different computer and boot off the disk on your system to run a scan. Avira Antivir is the one I use.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
The system probably failed to launch from sleep/hybrid sleep mode. There is an occasional issue with windows 8's fast boot, which performs similarly to hibernate and significantly cuts boot time. Press the power button and allow it to power down, then try again. If that doesn't work, try a hard reset (press and hold the power button until it powers down - you will lose any unsaved data). If that doesn't work, you may have a hardware or OS installation/software problem. A virus is possible but if you haven't been browsing or downloading from sketchy sites it's unlikely.

Solution