Brand new Toshiba laptop with issues (Help!)

May 2, 2018
Hi,
I've referred to your answers to posts here a number of times in the past with pc issues and the information has always been super helpful. Thanks for that.

Now I'm dealing with something I can't figure out at all, so I'm hoping you can help. I just bought a Toshiba Satellite L50-D (Dynabook T65 / EG). Straight out of the box and it's having issues. I've been trying everything to see if it's something that can be fixed, or if there's a fundamental problem.

Core i7 Processor, 4GB RAM, 1TB disk (911 GB free), Windows 10 Home

I'm having major issues with programs freezing / not responding, hanging browser windows (which then turn black for a minute or two), unresponsive pages, and just general lagging. All I'm using the computer for is online work with a handful of open windows at a time, along with several other programs like Word, Evernote, Onenote, etc. Onedrive and Dropbox work in the background. I uninstalled the extra anti-virus software that came with the laptop and am just using Defender. I've also uninstalled much of the bulkware that came with the computer.

Task Manager shows that the CPU's never more than a few percent, whatever I'm doing. But the memory usage shoots up to close to 100% even just doing simple tasks. Opening a few browser windows instantly pushes it up into the 90% range. And disc usage goes from 0 to 100% seemingly if I breath on the thing.

I've run numerous tests including Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Crystal Disk Info. Everything indicates things should be running fine.

Any thoughts on this situation? I've never encountered a computer that had so many problems right from the start. It's driving me nuts, and I need to decide if this is something that has a simple fix, or if I've got a dud of a machine.

Thanks so much in advance for any ideas or advice.

Chris

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I could not find that computer online other then an amd A8 cpu one.. but anyway.. IF you only have 4GB of ram it could (partly) be that you just dont have enough ram windows 10 to run smoothly needs 8GB min in my experience (I manage 30 + windows 10 systems and a couple Server 2016 systems). Second, it also could be also an temp issue with the system.. I would if you have not already check the temps of the computer as well. IF new I would just send it packing.. IF not I would defently add more ram.. it would help a lot. using an slow (assmining you have an older laptop with an 5400 or what ever RPM drive (standard on a lot of older laptops) really slows things down and if you are having to use Virtual memory it can cause programs to hang a LOT.. If you can get 8GB of ram and you should stop having that issue (as long as the temps are fine)

ALSO run from the CMD prompt (as admin) sfc /scannow to make sure nothing is corrupt on the computer. Also it would not hurt if its an used computer to do a system reset in windows 10 (it will be like starting with a new computer) I know you said you just purchased the computer but not sure if you mean new or used..

May 2, 2018

Thank you for your input. Yeah, unfortunately it's a brand new computer, right out of the box (or fortunately, because it's under warranty.) And the temps are fine. Didn't realize the 8GB RAM situation with Windows 10. Thanks again. (By the way, it's a Japanese model... probably why nothing turned up)