Brand new windows 10 HP pro computer died twice when I turned the tv on.

kasbaarg

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
I just got this laptop yesterday. 2017 HP Windows 10 Professional. It's been working great and I really like it but today I took it into the living room, plugged it into an empty outlet (nothing else connected to it) I've used this outlet a lot with my old laptop. Sat down, turned the TV on. As soon as I turned the TV on, my laptop shut off. Not went to sleep, not powered down, shut off. I couldn't get it to turn back on.

Took it back into my bedroom, and it rebooted after about a minute. Weird. Took it back upstairs thinking maybe it was a fluke. Did the same thing. As soon as the TV came on, it died. The second time I had to remove the battery and unplug it from power before it would reboot, took maybe five minutes.

It's working fine in my bedroom. Any ideas?

Solution
Still sounds like a grounding issue or a mis-wired (polarity) issue with the outlet itself. It could simply be that your current power supply is more sensitive to the configuration.

If the condition only happens at the one outlet, it is logical that the outlet is the problem.

kasbaarg

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017

As I said, nothing else plugged into the outlet and I've used the outlet hundreds of times with my previous laptop, other equipment, etc. The laptop sat there, working and on for several minutes until I turned the TV on.

kasbaarg

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017

It's a three prong, as was my old computer.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Still sounds like a grounding issue or a mis-wired (polarity) issue with the outlet itself. It could simply be that your current power supply is more sensitive to the configuration.

If the condition only happens at the one outlet, it is logical that the outlet is the problem.

Solution

kasbaarg

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017

Thank you very much for your help. I'll try different outlets or just see if it does it on battery (I'll be weirded out if it does!)

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
I would probably call in an electrician to check out that circuit. Something clearly not right there. You are not tripping the circuit breaker, so it doesn't sound like a circuit overload issue. Do you know if the TV and the outlet for your laptop are on the same circuit?

kasbaarg

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017

I'm assuming that they are; they're on the same wall but then electricity isn't my strong suit.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
If they are on the same wall they are probably on the same circuit. If you plug a lamp or something into the outlet and also turn the TV on, and go to your breaker box and turn off that breaker, and both the lamp and tv turn off, they are on the same circuit. If the breakers aren't marked as to what circuits they control, then some trial and error will be required. I spent a full day figuring out which circuits each of my breakers in 2 100 AMP panels in my house controlled, and then put all of the information into an Excel spreadsheet, and printed out copies to paste inside of each breaker panel. Found quite a few surprises as to how things were wired in my house.

Edit: Until you figure out the issue, I wouldn't use the laptop on that outlet. Hard power downs are generally not good for computers.