Breaking Bad Streams in 4K on Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabicao

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
But was it actually shot in 4k? I'm guessing it wasnt shot in film, so it must have been shot in a resolution higher than FullHD, otherwise this is pointless.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
This is awesome. I guess they're using some sort of h265/HEVC codec. Hopefully Western Digital will release WD TV Live 4k UHD soon.
I wonder if it's physically possible for Netflix to stream high frame rate movies like 4k UHD 120fps at 200Mbps or something like that.

c123456

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
This is awesome. I guess they're using some sort of h265/HEVC codec. Hopefully Western Digital will release WD TV Live 4k UHD soon.
I wonder if it's physically possible for Netflix to stream high frame rate movies like 4k UHD 120fps at 200Mbps or something like that.

The technology exists, but the failure point is residential internet. You might have a decent 100Mbs connection, but the issue becomes if 5 other people next to you have 100Mbs as well, and the pipeline going to your house only supports 500Mbs simultaneously. There's clearly a deficit here, so the ISP will throttle everyone a bit. There's no regulation preventing them from doing this either.

Now to avoid derailing this into a thread about net neutrality: I'd really like to see this.

dstarr3

Estimable
Mar 18, 2014
I'm glad to see that companies are really trying to push 4K into the mainstream, but there's just so much work ahead of ISPs and their technology before it's not a hugely cumbersome burden to stream that much information to that many people.

I'm glad to see everyone's trying, but it's still just not ready yet.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Problem is, even if "I have" 50 Mbps, that dosent mean that the servers that are in between me and netflix are all 50 Mbps supported "just for me".

4K might hit mainstream faster than other technologies since this one actually makes sense, unlike 3D ...

Status
Not open for further replies.