British Army Developing Force Field

Status
Not open for further replies.

mianmian

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
If that burst of "force field" is strong enough to repel bullets, the wearer will probably be killed by the force field anyway.

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
The drawback is that the shield only lasts for a fraction of a second, forcing soldiers to time the force field's activation with the impact of a rocket or grenade.

Ya, that's definitely a deal breaker. So now the military has to train someone with mad reflexes to press a button everytime a bullet is close enough?

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
That's pretty much identical to the defence system on vehicles in BF2142! They might want to increase the duration slightly before putting it out there though, removing all your armour and using this instead is a bit of a gamble..

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
This won't work. If you've ever watched mythbusters, you've probably seen the episode about the James Bond watch. The watch failed miserably, but they also tried REALLY big magnets, and they also failed to change the bullet's path more than a little bit.

FATAL STR1K3

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
[citation][nom]mavanhel[/nom]Ya, that's definitely a deal breaker. So now the military has to train someone with mad reflexes to press a button everytime a bullet is close enough?[/citation]

Thats no biggie.. they just have to log on to Bad Company 2 and they had their pick of thousands..

Just hook up the controls to a mouse n' keyboard and we're set to go!

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]A manually controlled unit special ability? What is this, a bad RTS?[/citation]

It will probably be combined with a quick sensor down the road. But, I doubt the tech will work in the first place.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]This also reminds me of the force fields in renegade legion. Just flicker it on and off really fast, forever.[/citation]

Great, now we'll have to start giving purple hearts for RSI. "Get us out of here, my wrist is cramping!"

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]mavanhel[/nom]Ya, that's definitely a deal breaker. So now the military has to train someone with mad reflexes to press a button everytime a bullet is close enough?[/citation]

They already have detectors that can track incoming ordnance, all they have to do is connect it to the force field and bingo.

ward360

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
So with it generating a "EM" field wouldn't it only effect things that would react to magnets? Projectiles are generally not made of Ferris materials. I know they are all smarter then me but that is my thoughts.

h83r

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]This won't work. If you've ever watched mythbusters, you've probably seen the episode about the James Bond watch. The watch failed miserably, but they also tried REALLY big magnets, and they also failed to change the bullet's path more than a little bit.[/citation]
I love Mythbusters as much as anyone else, but their tests can hardly be considered scientific experiments. It's 5 people that are not scientists (they are engineers) trying to prove and disprove scientific theories. It's hit and miss.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Hellbound[/nom]I wonder who will be the first to say "shields up"[/citation]
If it doesn't work, we may never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.