Broken graphic card

tommychan445

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
Okay so my laptop has been like this for years so I never use my GPU:
So whenever I run any game on my laptop (MSI GT72 Dominator Pro GTX 880M) after a few moments it would freeze the screen. When I reboot it, it shows white pixels for a brief millisecond and then the screen becomes black (it does not go to windows). So what I had to is reboot in safe mode and disable the GPU in order to revert back to integrated graphics. However, after a day, I can use the discrete graphics again, but the same thing would happen if I run any game.

So is there something wrong with the graphic card? Is it fried? I don't want to replace it :( I just want to know if a broken graphic card (for laptops) are repairable? If so, how?

Solution
Laptops that get old start to overheat, the cure is usually a new heatpipe cooler, cleaning the fan and radiator fins and applying new thermal grease. Sometimes a new fan is in order too.

All scenarios involve dismantling the laptop and doing the maintenance.

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
Laptops that get old start to overheat, the cure is usually a new heatpipe cooler, cleaning the fan and radiator fins and applying new thermal grease. Sometimes a new fan is in order too.

All scenarios involve dismantling the laptop and doing the maintenance.

Solution

tommychan445

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017

The thing is that this happened 2 years time ago to until now and I've already applied new thermal paste