Broken Hard drive?

Jordan_22

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
I am currently trying to fix a friends laptop and the hard drive is not working.
He said that the laptop had fallen off the table on to the floor now his computer wont boot.

I inserted a live CD of Ubuntu just to make sure that every thing else was in working condition, it all worked.

So I inserted the windows disk to try and repair the hard drive but I get a black screen, it will get to the part where it says loading windows but then where it is to ask you what language it is just a black screen.

Now to the Question
So I turned first to try and see if I could get the data off the drive. So I hooked it up to my laptop with a IDE/SATA to usb cable. The drive sounds normal, it will bring up the drive in my computer but when I click on it it hangs for a minute or two then says that the drive is not formatted would you like to format it now?

So Is the drive shot or something else that I could try and do?

Thanks
Jordan

blackthorne

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
You'll need some type of software recovery program to get that data off. I use one called recover my files and it works pretty well: http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

It's not a free program though. There may be some free ones out there. Most through will let you trial and scan....but only save once you buy the program.

Tim.

Jordan_22

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
Ya I already tried that too and it did not work. I selected the drive then it just sat there for a few seconds and deselected the drive.

A good recover program for the future if you need one is recuva by piriform. Great program I have used it on jump drives that I have even re-formatted and it still found almost every thing. They are also the creators of CClean if you have used that before.

www.piriform.com/recuva