Budget Friendly Media Laptop

Chmizzles

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Unfortunately yes, this is another "which laptop should i buy" post. I'm a college student so my budget is severely limited. I'm looking for a laptop to take with me to class, but also to watch movies, play music, and play games. From the research ive done so far, it is rather difficult to find a gaming laptop for a reasonable price. To be honest, i dont need oustanding graphics. I just want a laptop that will run most games and by run i mean run well enough to enjoy playing.

If at all possible, i would like to keep the price below $800 but i might be willing to go up to $1000.

Right now this is the comp that im considering. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2912745&CatId=1897

I know that the 1150 is a pretty bad excuse for graphics but i'm wondering if it will atleast run games like C&C3, CoD2, Oblivion, etc. at a playable level. I've looked at the sites linked in other topics that have the graphics card benchmarking but to be honest the information is a little overwhelming.

I'm also wondering if anyone has experience buying a refurbished pc from tigerdirect in general. They seem to have the best prices but i dont know if they are reliable. Comments from people with personal experience are greatly appreciated.

If someone knows of a place to get a laptop with a decent gfx card and a dual core processor for around $800 i would be eternally greatful.

To be honest, i dont need oustanding graphics.
i'm wondering if it will atleast run games like C&C3, CoD2, Oblivion, etc. at a playable level.

Unfortunately, to play COD2 and Oblivion you do need at least good graphics.

I know that the 1150 is a pretty bad excuse for graphics
Don't take this the wrong way, but that is an understatement to say the least.

That laptop would probably not be able to play any of those games respectably. You need a laptop with a dedicated card that is at least a GeForce 7400 or X1400, and these would be pushing it. Oblivion is one of the most hardware intensive games out there and integrated probably won't even boot that game. You may want to save your money and try to extend your budget to about 1300. I know of an ASUS laptop that would be o.k for your gaming needs, but it costs around 1200 bucks. As far as Tigerdirect, I have no personal experience with them at all, so wait for some others to reply.

Chmizzles

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Actually i may have found a much better deal. There is a dell coupon out there that expires today thats $500 off Inspirons over $1500. So i built one with a core 2 duo T7200 (I think), 1 gig of ram that ill replace with a 2 gig set from newegg, an x1400, 17" monitor, etc, etc. So thats basically where im at right now. It seems like a good idea cuz its a way better comp than my first choice and its not a refurb.

I agree it is a way better choice. The only thing I'll say is, the X1400 may not give you the performance you were hoping for, so don't be disappointed if Oblivion doesn't run like you thought it would, it will run just not all that well. By 17'' monitor, I assume you mean the E1705 with a 17'' screen. If that is the case, it may be worthwhile upgrading to the 7900GS if you have the money for it.

Chmizzles

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Hmmmm, I would say the only way i could afford the 7900 GS is if i dropped the processor from the t7200 to the t5200.

Do you think thats something i should do? Do be honest, i'm probably gonna try out the new Lord of the Rings MMO and if i get hooked on that it'll be the only game i play. From what i know, MMO's generally are not too graphic intensive. But honestly i dont know that much, and thats why im here asking you guys. Thanks again for all the help.

I'm trying to keep the price right around 1,000 plus another 100 for the new ram from newegg. If i added the 7900 GS with my current setup it would push the price up to around 1189 before i bought the new ram.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
I am running a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop Model with a Core Duo 1.6Ghz, 2GB of Ram and a ATI x1300 Hypermemory. I am generally impressed with its overall performance and Battery life is really good with the 9 Cell battery. I have played a variety of games like Half Life 2, Flight Simulator 2004, The Movies, GT legends, Age Of Empires 3 and they play well. Although these games play well I do have to keep the graphic level settings realistic or it does turn into a slideshow :lol:. ATI's x1400 does pack more punch than the X1300, but its hardly high-end. If you can keep that processor and still take the 7900GS this would be ideal, but as you say it would exceed your budget I would recommend dropping the processor in favour of the better graphics card. Even with the lower processor you will see far more performance gain in games with the 7900GS card.

That's not always true. MMOs use CPU power more than they do GPU power. If he gets hooked on LOTR game he would benefit from the faster processor more than a faster GPU. My suggestion would be to try the LOTR game on the systme you have now or any system that is available to you and see how you like it. If you end up loving it and get hooked, keep the X1400 and T72. If not drop the CPU and get the 7900GS.

Chmizzles

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Haha well ... i just decided screw it im spending this much anyways i might as well just go all out. So i went with the core 2 duo t7200 and the 7900 GS card. Now im just annoyed that it takes dell a week to build the comp. I want it now damn it lol.

LOL. That's always the feeling when you order a computer or hardware you feel really good about. I don't think you will be disappointed with the money you spent. Have fun with your new toy when it arrives! Oh, let us know how it goes.