Budget Gaming Laptop

Tierney11290

Estimable
Feb 19, 2014
To start off, I currently have a decent desktop gaming PC. However, due to traveling and having to stay upstairs with the wife and kids, I have decided to buy a gaming laptop.

I am looking for the best that I can get with my money and although that is not much (under $1500), I try to do the best research I possibly can. I have looked at several laptops on Newegg and have found a couple that are catching my eye. The first being the Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P and the second being the CyberpowerPC Fangbook Evo HX7-150.

The deal breaker between the two above is the performance difference between the SLI GT750M's and the single GTX770M. From what I have read, they are about on par with each other. Knowledge in desktop GPU's tells me that the SLI setup would be better overall, but I do not know much about laptops.

The reason why I like the Cyberpower laptop is because of the port locations. I will never understand why manufacturer's decide to put the power port on the sides! I like the way the Cyberpower is designed. It has better speakers (not a big pro), better GPU (debatable, see above), bigger screen, DVD Drive, better HDD (although less capacity, it is faster), and reputation. I have heard a lot of good things about Cyberpower. A friend of mine recommended them. We currently have a Lenovo Thinkpad Twist and it isn't that great, but I am willing to give the brand a second try. My biggest concern between the two is the GPU. Which would be better in the end?

These are just the two I am considering, but knowing that you are all intelligent and well informed people, I am open to other suggestions! Here is what I am looking for in a laptop overall:

CPU: Preferably Intel as AMD's run quite hot in desktops and hear they do the same in laptops. At least 2.30 GHz is preferred.
GPU: Nvidia only, same issue as above for AMD.
HDD/SDD: At least 750GB, but prefer 1TB. I will add a 240GB SDD, so it must be able to accomodate the extra slot for that.
DVD Drive: Not needed, but I guess it's nice to have if it's there. Prefer no drive really, not a deal breaker though.
RAM: At least 8GB, but 16GB is better.
Keyboard: Must be backlit as I play in the dark at times.
Display: At least 15", but no more than 17".
Portability: Size/weight isn't a huge issue, but the thinner/lighter the better. Not a deal breaker.
Heat Dissapation: Laptops can give off some heat, I know that. Not a huge issue as long as it is directed well (back/sides).

Just curious as well, I have read that gaming laptops have the ability to upgrade their GPU/CPU to an extent. Can anyone confirm this? I would assume it would depend on the type of laptop, but wanted to be sure.

Lastly, I have a Newegg Preferred Account, so I would like to purchase from there. This would allow me time to sell our old laptop, yet still have one accessible.
Would very much like to order this somewhat soon if possible, so let me know what you all think! Thanks in advance.

Solution
It depends on the manufacturer as to if you can upgrade or not. Some are capable, but then you have to find somewhere willing to sell the mobile chip, which is much harder.

According to notebookcheck.net, the 750M SLI is actually 7% slower than the 770M. I have the G750JX from ASUS, and it's equipped with a 770M and has no problems chugging through most games on high. It's a very capable mobile graphics card.

The nearest (cheap) SLI solution that beats the 770M is the 755M in SLI.

If you're a fan of the CyberPowerPC, I'd say get it. It's better than the 750Ms in SLI, so it becomes a no brainer at that point :)

CraigN

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
It depends on the manufacturer as to if you can upgrade or not. Some are capable, but then you have to find somewhere willing to sell the mobile chip, which is much harder.

According to notebookcheck.net, the 750M SLI is actually 7% slower than the 770M. I have the G750JX from ASUS, and it's equipped with a 770M and has no problems chugging through most games on high. It's a very capable mobile graphics card.

The nearest (cheap) SLI solution that beats the 770M is the 755M in SLI.

If you're a fan of the CyberPowerPC, I'd say get it. It's better than the 750Ms in SLI, so it becomes a no brainer at that point :)

Solution

Tierney11290

Estimable
Feb 19, 2014

Thanks Craig! That is exactly what I was looking for. I figured that finding the new parts for a laptop would be difficult as I have never seen them sold. Guess this will have to do for mobile gaming for now! Thanks again.