Budget gaming laptop

Louis102002

Estimable
Jan 19, 2016
I have recently turned to PC gaming and would like to make my first gaming laptop. I have an old Yoshiba Satellite a500 and a MacBook Air (most recent model). I was wandering which parts I could use to make my first gaming laptop

Solution

Hey Louis,
You can't easily make your own laptop from scratch. Laptops are designed, for the most part, as one unit with limited modularity to keep the device compact and there are no, to my knowledge, laptop "cases" that you can buy to build a PC in like you can with a desktop. The closest you could come to building your own laptop without a great amount of knowledge and some access to parts not on the normal market is by buying a gaming laptop from a company and slightly customizing it, which doesn't...

SamoanSavage824

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014

Hey Louis,
You can't easily make your own laptop from scratch. Laptops are designed, for the most part, as one unit with limited modularity to keep the device compact and there are no, to my knowledge, laptop "cases" that you can buy to build a PC in like you can with a desktop. The closest you could come to building your own laptop without a great amount of knowledge and some access to parts not on the normal market is by buying a gaming laptop from a company and slightly customizing it, which doesn't sound like what you want. I would suggest building an HTPC style system or a mini pc. This would give you a portable form factor, while still retaining the modularity of a full PC, allowing you to keep the budget reasonable. For around $400 I built a system for my club in school a while ago so that the club has a reliable PC to use in the future and when used for gaming, it performs as well or better than a console. If you NEED a laptop, I would suggest browsing for affordable laptops with decent graphics, but for the same price you will pay for an "OK" laptop gaming experience, you can usually build a much more beastly and more customizable PC. I hope this helped, feel free to ask me for any further input or suggestions as far as a build goes, I'm happy to help :)

Solution