Budget Laptop

chiknbane

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Hi,

My previous laptop recently died for good and I want something to replace it. I now have a desktop though which I use 90% of the time and for any gaming so my main priorities are price and portability.

1. What is your budget?
£300(ish), whilst I could go over a bit I would prefer not to unless it is really worth it.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
10-15", my last laptop was 15" but something more portable would be good.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Not hugely bothered but higher the better.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
Any will do.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Not really as I have a desktop but maybe minecraft

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Mostly web browsing, maybe some word editing/visual studio.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Any

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Any based in UK.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
At least another year till I finish uni.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Doesn't matter.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Any.

13. What country do you live in?
UK

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

So clearly with the small budget I'm pretty much limited to a netbook or very low end laptop. The attraction of a netbook is theyre small and light so I can just chuck it in my bag and still have some room but they obviously lack power.

At the netbook end I like the look of the acer aspire one 522
http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.564816.cm_scid.Froogle?ref=fgl&source=froogle
It has decent graphics for a netbook and the 720p screen would be better than the standard 1024x600. I do computer games tech. so the improved performance of this over most netbooks would be good for running any small games I make but its not imperative.

Or I could go for a cheap laptop like
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/toshiba-satellite-c660d-152-3gb-memory-320gb-hard-drive-grey-08702328-pdt.html
May be more powerful but less portable. Also not sure what build quality/heat is like.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the netbook as I dont really need something powerful.
Im not really "up on the laptop scene", more of a desktop person, so I dont really know whats out there to be honest so any good deals, suggestions, etc are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

xoshua

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
If you game on a desktop and your absolutely sure you will not game serious on your laptop go for the cheaper. Web browsing, minecraft, simple tasks, go cheaper.

chiknbane

Distinguished
May 6, 2010

The price difference is very small though. The main difference is power vs portability.