Building a customer gaming laptop - need advice

Scooby dude

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
Good evening,

I am currently looking to put together a custom gaming laptop. However my knowledge on what parts to get and what to stay away from are less that moderate. I am looking looking construct a complete monster of a laptop, attempting to have it run most games at the highest of fps. Now the little that I do know is about graphics cards.

I have been looking around for a bit on the interweb and seem to find that the nvidia 880M is the BEST on the market for mobile gaming GPUS. My question is though is it worth the extra 300 dollars instead of just getting the 870M? Are there other types of graphics cards I am neglecting to investigate that can run exactly the same as a 880 m for a cheaper price? Also can laptops support the eyefinity or ski? (Where you're playing on multiple screens expanding your FOV)

Also I am curios about the performance of processors. The Intel core i7 4940 MX goes up to 4.0 GHz ( not sure what that means) as for the other models which are are literally up 900 hundred dollars less have a GHz of around 3.4, is the extra .6 GHz really worth that much money? Or would the less speedy ones work just as well?

Now my last paragraph is just going to have my last little bit of smaller questions rolled into one big one. What is the difference between disk drives and is there any difference in performance between the various selections? What type of internal networking would be the most reliable? As for RAM I am looking to get 8-12 gigs and from what I've read DDR3 RAM is the must have for gaming but I see a lot of other variables as in different brands and MHz which I'm not sure would even have affect on the performance and is there any point in going abovet 12gb RAM when regarding gaming? What information do I need to know about motherboards before I make my selection? I am looking for a 17-18 inch screen how do I construct that? Are there cases that hold such screen that you can buy? Last two questions are about sound cards and cases. Can you purchase those awesome ass light up cases with the keyboards lights like the alienware's have? And what would be the best sound cards for the ultimate sound experience? I plan on using my astro a40s so I really want the sound to make me feel like I am in the shit.

I apologize for the essay above, there's just so much that goes into computers and I have very little knowledge considering I've been a console guy and am switching to PC. However any information at all will be appreciated 10 fold.

Thank you,
Scoobs

Solution
Just look at a customisable laptops from the major brands. You really only need 8gb RAM for gaming. It is possible to get 2 or more drives in a laptop and also a mix of SSD and HDDs. The Aorus X7 has these options for example.

Scooby dude

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
Damn I almost forgot to ask about HDD. I want to get a SSD for my games and a normal 1tb RPM HDD for storing music and files. Is this possible in a laptop and which HDD are the most reliable and have the best performance?

byza

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
Just look at a customisable laptops from the major brands. You really only need 8gb RAM for gaming. It is possible to get 2 or more drives in a laptop and also a mix of SSD and HDDs. The Aorus X7 has these options for example.

Solution