Burned hdd of a laptop and windows 7

Fivos92

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hello i have a dell laptop with a burned hdd that i have changed today. I bought the laptop with genuine windows 7 professional 64-bit pre-installed but i forgot to create a recovery DVD disk. I have the sticker of the windows attached on the laptop.
How can i use that password?
I have a copy of windows 7 professional 64-bit, if i format the laptop with that copy of windows i will be able to use the password that my laptop was registered previously?

Solution
I know he's just reinstalling the operating system, but the issue is that in my experience, when you are working with an integrator-installed OEM version of Windows, that license is set to only work with Windows OEM media from that integrator. For instance, if you use Windows 7 Pro media from HP to reinstall the OS on a Dell computer, the Windows Authentication will not allow you past the key entry step because it knows that the key you are supposed to enter is supposed to originate from HP, and not Dell. The same is true of the retail Windows media. It will balk if you try to enter an OEM key. This has been my experience, at least.

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006

The OEM license will only work with Dell OEM media. If you bought the computer from Dell, you can contact Dell and purchase recovery media from them for a small fee. Your other option is to purchase an upgrade package to Windows 8.1 from Microsoft, or purchase a retail copy of Windows 7 or 8.

faalin

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
since you still have the sticker with the key on it you can put in any windows 7 pro 64 bit disc and install the os, just retype the key that is attached to the laptop and everything will be good to go.

Houndsteeth hes replacing the harddrive not trying to move the os to another machine, a simple HDD replace with a reinstall will not casue any issues at all as long as he uses the same key that came with the computer.

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I know he's just reinstalling the operating system, but the issue is that in my experience, when you are working with an integrator-installed OEM version of Windows, that license is set to only work with Windows OEM media from that integrator. For instance, if you use Windows 7 Pro media from HP to reinstall the OS on a Dell computer, the Windows Authentication will not allow you past the key entry step because it knows that the key you are supposed to enter is supposed to originate from HP, and not Dell. The same is true of the retail Windows media. It will balk if you try to enter an OEM key. This has been my experience, at least.

Solution