avdmeers

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
1. What is your budget?

Up to 1400 EUR

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Preferably compact, say 14 inch, it is meant to be portable (enough)

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Irrelevant, not meant for gaming.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable, a more precise answer: business grade laptop with some ultrabook touches

5. How much battery life do you need?

5+ hours on light duty, though I'm looking to the Haswell U series CPU's, apparently they can run heavy duty tasks with "greater" power efficiency

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

No, and no graphical applications either. I'd prefer a laptop with no discrete GPU or at least no Optimus (i.e. no NVidia).

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

- Scientific computing (meaning: enough RAM, preferably 1,600 MHz; good CPU, multicore)
- Good connectivity (no Broadcom Wifi cards)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Minimum 128 GB, SSD would be nice but I'm flexible here.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

N/A

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Say 4 years. Some might point out that this is wishful thinking when it comes to scientific computing. However, I've indicated that good connectivity is a must. The reason being is that I have access to supercomputers. I can simply outsource tasks there if necessary.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Not necessary.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I'm open to suggestions.

13. What country do you live in?

Belgium

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Quick summary: good multicore CPU, 4GB+ RAM at 1,600 MHz, good connectivity, business-grade (for sturdiness and build quality), integrated graphics, Optional: SSD or Hybrid HDD, 15.6 inch or lower size with preference to 14 inch.

Laptop will be modified to dual boot (Windows for presentations by other parties + Linux).

Thank you very much.