buy from sager or xoticpc?

The only reason that the xotic systems are cheaper is that they are trying to steal business away from the main company.

The full story is that xotic is just a reseller, all they do is forward your order to Sager and then slap their name on it. They never really touch your system. So in other words, they are a middle man. You are getting the EXACT same system from Sager that you are from Xotic.

Personally, I just paid the extra $100 dollars that Sager wanted over Xotic and ordered right from the source. The only issue I had happened during a shortage in 7950GTX cards. Got my laptop before college started and all was good.

ihateibuypower

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
is it faster shipping to go straight from sager? also i noticed the xp pro sp3 option with xotic that you cant get with sager. worth it or no?

Not really sure since mine got delayed, I had nothing to compare it to.

As far as SP3, I think the only thing it was supposed to improve was the speed of MS Office. I've heard of people having trouble with the updates, so not really sure. I'm running SP2 on my laptop, never really saw a need to upgrade. Do you not want Vista? I have it on the desktop I just built and I have to say, with the right hardware, it's not a bad OS. The constant requesting of permission gets a little annoying, but I don't find that it runs all that slow.

ihateibuypower

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
oops didnt see your post, lostandwandering. SP2 im sure will be fast enough, although i still might want to order from xotic cause i get an extra upgrade in the processor while still being below the price from sager. thanks guys!

^I agree with Maz. The 1920x1200 res is amazing. It's full HD so if you buy a blu-ray player down the road you are all set. Be careful though, because you will be spoiled for life. I can hardly stand to look at my 17'' 1280x1024 monitor for my desktop ;)

frozenlead

Distinguished
I got my sager in less than a week, from order to arrival.

I also agree with the screen resolution thing...even after a few hours of looking at 1920x1200, if you look at a lower resolution screen, you'll think you've jumped back to windows 98.

Why do you not want to get Vista? I know there's a lot of bad publicity about it...but really, I haven't ever had a problem with it. The one bone i have to pick with it is the way the network and sharing center is organized -- I just hate it. It takes me 5 or 6 clicks and pages to go through the same thing I could do in XP with just 1 or 2.

ihateibuypower

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
the computer ive had just cant deal wth vista and ive heard bad things about gaming on vista i already ordered the computer from xoticpc. but they say its a pre-order? for the np8660. when will my system arrive do you think? i live in NY

It is a pre-order, the system hasn't been fully released. According to Donald from Power Notebooks, Sager estimates to have these shipping by early August (as late as the 18th). It'll also depend on how far down the list you are.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=3722437&postcount=2913

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Sager has said in the past they will match reseller pricing if you talk to them directly. Since you haven't placed the order yet, and are just deciding I don't think they would have a problem with that. To accentuate the above posters point of just cut out the middleman, there was a post at NotebookReview about a dead pixel...
Thread: Stuck pixels noos Post #42 by: sujinge9
On another note, I initially thought it was cool that xotic would take care of all the returning and getting me a new one process automatically, but now they're taking forever to give me an RMA number while sager already gave me one...

As far as Vista for gaming, remember that only Vista will have DX-10 support. You can shut off all the bells and whistles and have it look identical to XP Pro. You are 100% correct though that even things like 3D06 Marks will be considerably lower with Vista due to the drivers (I have seen up to 1,000 pts on an Sli system.)

frozenlead

Distinguished
I believe the vista gaming horror stories to be myth. I've gamed on vista for a good long time now, and it's rock solid. Never crashed, never slow, nothing to complain about. Tom's uses vista to bench all of their games, if it makes you feel better. Honestly, the "Vista is horrible!" stories going around really aren't all that true. It's not perfect, but it's way not that bad, either.

ihateibuypower

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I already placed the order with xoticpc earlier this morning. I guess I'll have to deal with the middle man and hope they don't screw anything up. The reason I got XP Pro is that I'm going to either be dual booting with Ubuntu or using VMware with Ubuntu and it's much slower doing that with Vista.