Buying a gaming laptop for $600. are these specs worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

museprime

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Lenovo Y50 15.6" Gaming Laptop
Intel I7 4700HQ
8GB Ram
Nvidia 860M
256GB SSD
Win 10

They are quoting me $600. Is this a good deal?

Solution

Listen, i've bought plenty of pc/parts/laptops at bargan prices. I've been in a place with no $$; that laptop at $600 is a crazy good deal.

However, I know how precious $$ is when you don't have it too. When i was bargin hunting I never made a large purchase like that without full knowledge of what I was buying. To ME, Lenovo itself, the brand represents a giant risk in and of itself. If i was going to spend $600, and i had a very tight financial situation, i'd probably spend it getting parts i trust and make a desktop gaming machine. Atleast one of those you can add to later when you have a little more money. Laptops...

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
the model you're looking at is likely this one
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-15-6-Inch-Gaming-Laptop-59418223/dp/B00M1C1YUU

i'm going to play it to you straight. Lenovo generally makes cheap chinese junk; they're nearly as bad as ACER, worse, unlike acer who just sells whatever junk they have laying around, Lenovo further has infected many of it's PCs/LAPTOPS with rootkit adware viruses like superfish, including the model of Laptop you're looking to purchase. Furthermore any laptop sporting an i7 cpu and a gtx860m graphics card, 16gb of ram AND a 250gb SSD sold at retail for <1000 is probably made of paper and cardboard and bubble gum.

many online comments about this laptop support this conclusion.

$600 is an out of this world deal for those parts, however i would not purchase it expecting any sort of longevity or durability out of it (apparently the wifi/bluetooth adapter is worthless and breaks easily)

museprime

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Listen, i've bought plenty of pc/parts/laptops at bargan prices. I've been in a place with no $$; that laptop at $600 is a crazy good deal.

However, I know how precious $$ is when you don't have it too. When i was bargin hunting I never made a large purchase like that without full knowledge of what I was buying. To ME, Lenovo itself, the brand represents a giant risk in and of itself. If i was going to spend $600, and i had a very tight financial situation, i'd probably spend it getting parts i trust and make a desktop gaming machine. Atleast one of those you can add to later when you have a little more money. Laptops however represent a different type of purchase, one which puzzles me a bit.

1) you can't upgrade it
2) it's usually 40%-100% more expensive then a comperable PC
3) you have to spend a fortune to get a "good" gaming experience (same money on a pc would get you a GREAT gaming experience)
4) laptops, unless they're never moved don't last much beyond 3 or 4 years; and nothing can be salvaged moving forward

To me, when $$ was tight, I looked at laptops as something to buy for <$200 and not for gaming. Just for productivity uses. I actually stretched a junky ACER i got used (it was broken when i got it) for free for 3 years. It couldn't really game, though i was able to play some simple games; I played the original mass effect on it, played Morrowind as well, which was sorta amazing when you think about what a piece of junk it was. But it did what i wanted it to do (for business)

My current gaming system is a pc. I own a VERY nice Asus ZENBOOK, it's not a gaming laptop either, but it does it's job for work. Though i spent about the money you're looking to spend on that lenovo for it (bought it new) and i could have bought a high end gamign laptop (money is no issue now) I still have a tightwad state of mind that makes it hard for me to justify spending huge $$ for a laptop, because ultimately they're mostly disposable portable computers. And should be viewed as such if you want to make a smart buy.

to answer your main question "yes, that is an amazing price for that laptop"

But if you asked me if i would willingly buy that laptop, my answer is no. I would never buy that laptop. I wouldn't buy it today, i wouldn't buy it last year, and i never would buy it. Partly because of the name on the laptop, Lenovo. Partly because that laptop doesn't match what i think a laptop should be "viewed" as, and partially because I believe spending 600 for a used (? i think it's used, or atleast that's the impression i got) laptop is far too much money no matter what the laptop is.

Solution

museprime

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
I got a pretty amazing gaming rig pc. I am just looking to replace the currently laptop and just having gaming as an option. This is what I currently have. I sold it for $300 which means im only spending $300 on the lenovo. What do you think about these two vs each other?

HP ENVY m6-1105dx AMD Quad-Core A10-4600M 2.30GHz Notebook PC - 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD, 15.6" HD LED, SuperMulti DVD, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n, Webcam, Beats Audio, Fingerprint Reader, 6-cell 62WHr Li-Ion

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
that was a nice "stealth" cheap gaming laptop back when it came out; a friand of mine got one a couple of years ago and it was pretty good for the price he paid. it's definately aged a bit though. That you got 300 for it speaks highly of your connections, ebay skill or craigslist skill.

Take a risk on the lenovo if you want. As i said, for the price, the part list is pretty impressive. I hope it lasts you as long as that HP did, then you'll have got a tremendous deal. Make sure you read up on that rootkit virus lenovo infected that laptop with, and get the fixes before you really do anything with it. And i STRONGLY suggest you baby the heck out of it, and treat it like glass, because i'm highly skeptical about the build quality.

Oh, and if at all possible please turn it on and play around with it for a few minutes (ideally run a benchmark like Firestrike, or something) before you purchase it. some problems only show up when a pc is stressed, if it turns out it's dying you'll see it pretty quickly when you stress it, might save you from getting a lemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.