Solved! Buying a laptop

j0035

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
1. What is your budget?
0-$700

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Open to suggestions.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Open to suggestions.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Not sure what this means?

5. How much battery life do you need?
It won't be leaving the house.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I play the Sims collection of games, Tycoon games, but no real serious hardcore gaming.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
browsing, multiple programs being ran, music, dvd converting/ dvd burning, downloading, archiving large files

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

At least 200gb

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Prefer newegg because custom support has been good and shipping is always reasonable yet I'm open to suggestions

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

2-3yrs

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Currently using a LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner and its great would like something equal or better.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

No brand in mind I just want a user friendly keyboard and mouse thing on it that isn't annoying.

13. What country do you live in?

U.S

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I'm currently using a desktop I built and it preforms every task I throw at it, I'm only buying a laptop for space and being more mobile. The specs of the desktop I'm currently using are below.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2 Ghz (Using on-board vid card)
4gb DDR2
500gb 7200 rpm
20x dvd burner

Avro Arrow

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Yeah, for a laptop, you just need something cheap like what I have. What I did was buy a cheap laptop and put XP Pro on it. That made it fast. Then I installed all the XP drivers for it and away I went. Like you, I have a gaming monster desktop and I just wanted something to play with when I wasn't at my main rig. I'd recommend this for you:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Compaq+-+Presario+Laptop+/+AMD+V-Series+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+2GB+Memory+/+250GB+Hard+Drive+-+Basic+Black/1271897.p?id=1218245812097&skuId=1271897

You might like my Laptop Advice thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/60098-35-general-laptop-advice

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

Another options worth taking a look at is the Dell Studio 15. It has an i3 processor, 4 GB of RAM, and 500 GB of hard drive space. It's a great option for both productivity and entertainment. Are you going to be playing The Sims 3? If so, you may need to invest in a laptop with a dedicated graphics card.

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

orestesdd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

I totally agree with this suggestion.