Buying a Laptop

vampyiere6

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Hello! I will most likey need to buy a laptop because im going away for some time so cant take my desktop with me. And i want a good laptop it dosent need to be pro for gaming since i got my desktop for that. But i want a good laptop that wont overheat or so even when most laptops does it. It needs to be fast i whould prefer if it has ssd and about 8gb ram 4gb is ok or like one with 4gb ram and a extra slot so i can get more. and a ok cpu. It needs to be Full HD 1920x1080 too so can you guys please recommend me a good laptop for surfing the web watching movies and so and maybe play some games on. my budget for that is about 600$ can go higher if its a good one but dont wanna spend to much on it. thx

$600 is a tough call for something "good". To play the occasional game I'd want at least a 650M and those come in at about $850. The SSD and HD option will push up the price a bit, but I can tell you from direct experience, the hybrid SSD / HD from Seagate (Momentus XT 750 GB) has performance indistinguishable from the SSD + HD in the same configuration (I have 2 lappies, one with the Momentus and one with Intel 520 SSD + 750 GB, 7200 rpm HD).

http://www.lpc-digital.com/sager-np6165-features.html

yillbs

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
I am with Jack. But, on the other hand. The HD4000 integrated can perform well for some basic games, I even know SOME games on steam that say you need HD 4000 or higher. Getting a screen like that, with a HDD like that, is going to be hard to do. Maybe the envy M6 series. IT's about 600, doesn't have all of those features you wanted, but it's got a few.

@JackNaylorPE what was your experience with the 750 Momentus. I was thinking of going full ssd, but i entertained the idea of hybrid.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
You want a macbook, they dont heat at all, are silent, have amazing software, are blazing fast, light and thing. Moreover, they have a multi-touch trackpad, so you dont need a mouse when using laptop (may sound weird, but try and you will see)

Its a good opoturnity for you to get to know more about computers, trying a diferent OS. Moreover, if you also want to have windows, you can dual-boot, and suprisinlly, they run windows better then most windows-only notebooks:

https://www.soluto.com/reports

vampyiere6

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

yillbs

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
Was this like a gag post? He said he wanted to spend 600 bucks. nowhere close to a mac, and.. almost all laptops have a multi-touch track pad -.-

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006

No, is just that my conscience doenst allow me to recomend any notebook that is not a macbook. I also own non Apple laptops and they are not as fast as the macbook, even having higher specs. Its hard to understand if you dont use it.