Buying a new laptop, reccomendations would be great.

Jasonl87

Estimable
Jan 5, 2015
I am looking to buy a new laptop. It will be used both for work (some basic graphic design but mainly just spreadsheets) and for low - mid graphic settings gaming.

1. What is your budget?

$920 (£600)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

3. What screen resolution do you want?

1080p, can live with 1366, 768

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

more focused on graphics than weight so either is fine.

5. How much battery life do you need?

3-5 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Medium - advanced warfare
high - assassins creed 2
medium/low - fc4

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Some basic graphic design - photoshop, illustrator, Gimp etc.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

1tb

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

I have had a look at a few sites but would appreciate reccomendations

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

2 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

dvd drive would be good but not necessary

13. What country do you live in?
England

Any advice/reccomendations would be great.

Frederic Fong

Estimable
Dec 9, 2014
I personally would recommend the Lenovo Y50 Gaming Laptop 4K Resolution. If you think about it the 4K IPS resolution may sound like its unnecessary but if you are doing some basic graphic design etc. I think that it would help you along with you're work. The games that you want to play on the laptop for sure will run these settings fine. Also there is customization with which one you want to buy with different graphic card storage such and such. You said you would like 1080p display you could go instead with the Lenovo Y40 which is also good and cheaper but im not sure if it can run some of you're settings. The reason I don't go with any other gaming laptop companies such as Alienware or MSI or Gigabyte or Razer is because I haven't experienced any good customer service with them. Lenovo has their warranty and when it comes to customer support I personally think they are good at keeping their customers satisfied. The Lenovo Y40 doesn't have a 15.6 inch display btw.

Here is the link to the Lenovo Y50: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50/

Here is the link to the Lenovo Y40: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y40/

Jasonl87

Estimable
Jan 5, 2015
The Y50 is just about out of my price range, at least on the sites I am looking at.

Any other suggestions? Mainly I am just trying to make sure I get the best laptop possible for the budget I have.