Buying a new laptop

Snipergod87

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
So I'm going to be getting a new laptop I am currently using an old HP, and an inspiron 8600. I know way to much about computer but im stuck in deciding as my desktop is a custom build but laptops are every hard to custom build. I'm not sure what brand to go with Dell, Asus? Im not really looking for a gateway or HP. Heres what I am looking for:
14 or 15" screen Would prefer 16:10 but 16:9 is fine (more standard now) preferably 1920x1080 but a notch lower is fine
would like 3h+ battery life more is better 9 cell batteries are fine.
I might use it for mobile gaming but mostly web, IM, h.264 (MKV) video playback, HTPC functions too. (my desktop is primarly used for gaming) a Radeon 4330 or a 4350/70 would be enough dont need to be that powerful, intergrated graphics are not acecptable. HDMI port highly desired .

4GB RAM faster is better

Storage capacity 320+ doesnt need to be that big.

Its to buy from either Dell, Newegg other sites are welcome.

I plan on keeping this laptop for uh as long as I can (5+ years)

CD/DVD-RW Drive

802.11n

I want to avoid gateway HP as I stated above but I'm not sure about performance of a dell

I live in the states.

Budget preferably less then 1k USD

I would rather have a Core 2 Duo 7xxx or 8xxx not the 6xxx series as the 7 and 8 series have a higher FSB lower TDP more cache.
Ideally I want to be able to undervolt and slightly adjust CPU, RAM speed in the BIOS but getting laptop that has those functions are a pain so I have a third party tool to undervolt. Oh and for the keyboard I woudl rather not have a seperate numberpad as the HP series does makes the rest of the keys smaller, and I do NOT want the Fn (Function) key placed where the control key belongs.. I'm talking to you ASUS :(.

Heres what I designed on Dell GPU is probably more than I need, not sure how much battery I well get out of 9 Cell or if a 6 Cell would be better.

https://ecomm2.dell.com/dellstore/basket.aspx?cart_id=1009659860266&toEmail=ecomm@dell.com (that should work).

Please help in my decision process, is ther eanything better I can get from another manufacturer with more performance. I have had mixed results from dell (btw after recieving the system it will be formated and a clean install on 7 Pro 64bit installed.

Solution
Look at the previous posts in the laptop section....similar things are asked just about every other day.

First off Dell doesn't make laptops, neither does gateway, neither does HP, neither does Toshiba.

* Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM - note that Quanta is currently (as of August, 2007) the largest manufacturer of notebook computers in the world.
* Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
* Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
* Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP/Compaq, NEC, and Dell.
* ECS sells to IBM...
Look at the previous posts in the laptop section....similar things are asked just about every other day.

First off Dell doesn't make laptops, neither does gateway, neither does HP, neither does Toshiba.

* Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM - note that Quanta is currently (as of August, 2007) the largest manufacturer of notebook computers in the world.
* Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
* Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
* Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP/Compaq, NEC, and Dell.
* ECS sells to IBM, Fujitsu, and Dell.
* Asus sells to Apple (iBook), Sony, and Samsung.
* Inventec sells to HP/Compaq, Toshiba, and BenQ.
* Uniwill sells to Lenovo/IBM and Fujitsu.
* Clevo sells to Sager and most of the hi end boutique shops.

I buy from a US Clevo distributor here:

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=product

But there's hundreds worldwide.

Solution

Snipergod87

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
I realize they dont manufacture the laptops they just put their name on them and sell them.
That site is pretty helpful competive prices ability to not have a preloaded OS. Do you or anybody know of any other sites like that? and is the BIOS unlocked?

Taking a closer look at the keyboards the Fn key is placed where the control key belongs :( Is there someway to remap the Fn key or buy a different keyboard with a different layout?

parkinson

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
1_What is your budget? 1000 euros

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? doesn't matter

3_What screen resolution do you want? min 1280x1024

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? portable laptop

5_How much battery life do you need? 6+ hours

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I'm not gamer.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) I want to use laptop for movies, music, programming, for internet etc.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? 320 GB min

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? As long as i can

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD ROM/Writer is enough.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

13_What country do you live in? Serbia

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I require a quadcore or core 2 quad processor with min 2.1 GHz per core. Min 3 MB RAM
Can someone recommend a laptop with this or similar performance?