Question Buying a new laptop

Jul 30, 2020
Hello!
I'm looking for a new laptop and I have a few questions.
  1. Should I buy a laptop with 1TB SATA or 500GB SSD?
  2. Should I get 4GB or 8GB RAM?
  3. What operation system should I choose: Windows 10/pro or Linux?
  4. Which brand is better: Lenovo, Asus or Dell?
The laptop that I'm working with now (already 8 years old) is a Samsung, Windows 7, 4GB RAM, 500GB SATA.

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hi...here are my opinions.

1. 500GB SSD and make sure it is NVMe but make sure the laptop also has a second bay for future expansion... either NVMe or SATA.
  2. 8GB MINIMUM...if you arent buying another laptop for a while, you need 16GB. 16 is really a standard config these days.
  3. Windows 10. Pro is only needed if you want bitlocker or maybe some other remote desktop stuff.
  4. It really varies by laptop...you need to watch the reviews on YouTube. I currently own both Dell and Lenovo. It depends on what you want to use the laptop for! Gaming? Office work?

R

peter234

Honorable
Apr 8, 2014
Depends on what you're gonna use it for. 8gb nowadays is almost a minimum, id get that for sure. I'd rather have the ssd, 500gb is a lot of space. Brand is more of a personal choice, all 3 you mentioned are big companies that all make good stuff. I'm an asus fanboy so i usually just get asus. Windows/Linux, again is what you prefer. Everything isn't available on Linux like it is on windows, win 10 is gr8, again usage and personal opinion.